Synthetic oil (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it synthetic oil some put in their cruisers? Ive got a 2f with 187k and thought it may be a good idea. What do some of you recommend? What brand and do you fill it up with synthetic or use just one quart?

A good grade of name brand oil, I prefer Rotella T 15w40, is really all you need. Synthetic is so expensive and really of no advantage for an engine with this many miles and significant wear. My two cents.

Rotella good stuff. Don't waste money on synthetic in an engine that was designed for the thrid world. You could probably run vegetable oil and be ok for a short time.

Oil change interval (or OCI) is far more important in my eyes. Depending on conditions 3-5k with conventional.

Some people will tell you you need a high ZDDP (zinc) oil for camshaft life...there may be some validity to that.

other than the additives that come in an oil like Rotella T, I run a can of Seafoam in the crankcase every other oil change.

I think it helps with carbon deposit but maybe its just another snake-oil

X2 on Rotella.

What do you guys think about the oils that are specifically made for cars with "higher mileage?"
Always see those advertisements and feel they are just playing on the dumb masses to sustain their "new & improved" product.

Man, these oil threads always open up a can whoop-ass...

High-mileage additives and the like are secondary to what you really should worry about for your flat-tapped motor: an oil with the proper amount of high-pressure additives. IMHO, the new formulations of Rotell T do not have it. ANY oil SM or newer rated does not have it. Synthetic or Dino - Plenty of threads on it.

Man, these oil threads always open up a can whoop-ass...

High-mileage additives and the like are secondary to what you really should worry about for your flat-tapped motor: an oil with the proper amount of high-pressure additives. IMHO, the new formulations of Rotell T do not have it. ANY oil SM or newer rated does not have it. Synthetic or Dino - Plenty of threads on it.

Are you still running Castrol GTX Diesel?

rotella 15-40 is hard to beat especially the price..

But if it's not adequately protecting your engine, it really doesn't matter even if it's free...

Rotella 15w-40 T is a great oil, even the new formulation, just not for your flat-tappet motor.

FWIW. You can buy Zinc additives for the old flat tappet engines. It might be cheaper to use an additive along with Rotella vs. running a more expensive oil all together.

FWIW. You can buy Zinc additives for the old flat tappet engines. It might be cheaper to use an additive along with Rotella vs. running a more expensive oil all together.
Correct. The racing oils that have adequate EP additives are very expensive, compared to 9qts of cheap 15W40 and a bottle of cam lube.

There are still some fleet diesel oils produced that are not CI-4/SM rated, but they are not on the shelf at Vatozone or Malwart. NAPA can get them.

Jim, what bottle of cam lube do you recommended?

Correct. The racing oils that have adequate EP additives are very expensive, compared to 9qts of cheap 15W40 and a bottle of cam lube.

Not exactly:

Two gallons of Rotella are gonna be about $30, here in ol' CA. One bottle of the ZDDP (re-badged zddp plus) is designed for 5qts oil, so two will be necessary to bring the 800-900 ppm Rotella up to a min level of 1400 ppm or so of what the pre-2007 CI-4 oils used to be. So around $50-ish regular retail total.

Amsoil blend pre-'07 diesel is $25/gal.

Castrol GTX Diesel 15w-40 at 1400ppm zinc is about $4.50/qt and avail at Vatozone. ;)

:meh:

The best oil and best filter threads are always the same, doesn't matter if your at Duramax, VW, Ford, Mopar web sites. Anyway, I've read a lot of these threads. I find it interesting. I'm content with the new blend of Rotella T. It still has something like 1200 ppm zinc which is a little less than it used to have, but still higher than most other brand oils. For an engine that's got 270,000 on it, I don't think its going to matter that much. My plan, get the big WIX filter, and filler-up with Rotella T as often as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom