HELP!! Stuck in WRAY Colorado (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had the truck towed to Wray today. Drove fine all lastnight and this morning before I stopped for some gas outside of Cheyenne(approx 350 miles driven). After the gas stop the truck started sputtering, acting like mis fires. This was all on the hwy, so happening at 60-65 mph... and it just wasn't getting power. Checked the wheels to make sure nothing was going on there, shifting didn't do anything...I thought it was bad fuel....happened for another hr or so and finally had to exit I-75.

Was taking back highways, going slower and everything was fine. Put some fuel purifying stuff in, thought everything was ok. Belts started squealing, so I tightened em up. Kept squeeling...then the hesitations and misfire type stuff started happening again. Finally I had to call a tow when I couldnt keep it up at 30mph, hopping skippin and a jumpin...seemed like it was just getting worse and worse.

Anybody got any ideas?

Car shop here won't LOOK at it till Monday! i can't drive it anywhere, it would have to be towed to another city...

Looking for anything I can get my hands on, ideas wise...thank you for reading!!!

Sounds like a fuel issue. I assume this is on a carb'd 60.

1st thing to check is your site glass to determine if the float is set correctly. I would also pull the fuel line AFTER the pump & see how much pumps out while 'someone' cranks the engine.

Could very well be only a $10 fuel filter.

Been where you're at, not fun. Good luck.

John

yes carb'd :)
if i tilt the fuel filter upside down should gas come out both ends? which way does the arrow on top need to be pointing?

i blew threw it in the direction of the arrow and the resistance wasn't too strong..

checked dist. connects, spark plug connections, i haven't checked spark plugs themselves. Checked green plugs and hoses...

also, fuel needs to be showing up in the carb...not doing so...is this after pumped or after pumped and started? Fuel is sitting in middle of window while running...Thank you!!

without tools or a mechanic, its like shooting in the dark

I get these questions all the time from people needing work on there cars. I say, well, it could be one of 20 possible items if its a simple older car. If its a newer car, it could be 1 of 100 items.

Basicly, the basics need to be checked. Fuel, ignition, timing and so on. If you have a shop near by they can tell you, then tell us, what he has found.

Kyle,

Like Haryv said it really could be anything & you don't want to just start throwing $$ at it. But waiting until Monday is not a good option. If you do want to start somewhere, I would throw a new fuel filter on there. And the arrow should point towards the front of the truck. The arrow shows the direction of fuel flow.,

Another thought would be to post up on the Rising Sun site. A bunch a Colo. LandCruiser guys that I bet would be willing to lend a hand. Good luck.

John

thank you john and hary...

Kyle-

definately check the rising sun forum they are a good group of guys that will probably lend a hand, if you need help when you're back in Jackson i can lend a hand as well.

Good luck

I'll cross post on the Colorado Land Cruisers, Front Range 4x4 and Rising Sun site...hopefully you can get some help

pull your sparkplugs and see how they look. Where are you heading?

guys thank you so much! thanks for the cross post ...

I have Not pulled the plugs yet..that is the only other basic thing I haven't done. That's for tomorrow, thank you.

ultimately florida...oklahoma first :)

@topaw-left jackson yesterday...not returning for a while but thank you for the hand!!

I'm a long way off...but at the end of the day, everything is just peachy..

Thanks again guys...

Another quick check to do is to see if fuel pump is working. Loosen fuel pipe at carb and crank engine to see if you have fuel coming out. It may be good to replace fuel filter first, just to make sure the filter is not plugged.

If you were low on fuel when these problems began, you may have sucked up some crud in the tank. If you have access to compressed air, try gently blowing air into the fuel line from fuel filter connection back into the tank. DO THIS CAREFULLY! Not too much pressure and remove the gas cap first.

Good luck

Doug

Squeeling + misfires + hesitation...
I'm guessing the smog pump seized and the fuel mixture is a mess now, as well as belts are slipping. Not a mechanic, but heck I'll take a guess... I thought it was fuel pump at first, but the squeeling would give away a stuck belt or other unit being seized.
As far as I know, water pump failure could help lead to hot conditions, but probably wouldn't give misfires or hesitation unless your head gasket is also blown (ie coolant being displaced by exhaust gases as happened in my crappy subaru, robs power and overheats engine by displacing coolant).
I don't think alternator or AC would cause those issues (as far as I know). So... having not seen the thing, not being a mechanic, and assuming the timing didn't get bumped, etc. I'd go with smog pump... anyway, good luck. Your situation is exactly why I have not taken my 60 on a long trip yet... lots to do still before that.

Assuming this is true, Maybe you could do a redneck de-smog to get you limping back on the road? like block the EGR modulator ports and eliminate as much of the faulty air system as possible??? The pulley from the air pump also runs the alternator, so you would need to get a shorter belt to run the alternator and bypass the smog pump.
Who knows, kind of taking a shot in the dark. but just maybe, if it is your emission/smog system bending you over, perhaps you can figure out which parts to bypass to get back on the road? Just sounds too similar to the 'FJ60 stumbling/hesitating/power less threads' maybe look those up while you are at it.
:cheers: Hope the part of Colorado you are in is beautiful, good luck again...

If the smog pump has siezed post that info up, & we can give you an easy solution w/just a belt change.

John

with the exception of the belts it sounds like a fuel issue, i have had the exact same thing alot lately.. water in my fuel (damn ethenol) pull your fuel filter and dump (blow) the contents into a glass jar see if ya dont have some water or crud at the bottom.. i have had to dump 3 seperate tanks of fuel the last few months... good luck..

the smog pump does not affect the air fuel mixture delivered to the intake manifold. The smog pump only effects the emission gas composition of the exhaust gas after it leaves the cylinders. Unless the pump seizes is does not effect how the engine runs. However, you can slip the belt off the smog pump to see how freely the pulley turns. If it seems too tight, you can try and leave belt off, but you will need to run another belt to get the water pump to turn. The a/c belt is supposed to work as a field fix--I guess it would go around the crank and the water pump--I'm not sure how it is tightened.

An EGR failure will effect how the engine runs, but I would expect this to be less pronounced at highway speeds than at low speeds/idle.

Your symptoms do point to a fuel delivery issue. replacing the fuel filter is easy. you should also check the fuel pump weep hole for leaks, indicating a bad pump. There is sometimes a screen filter at the carb inlet or there might be some debris clogging the carb needle valve. I guess you would start by confirming fluid level in the carb bowl via the sight glass. run the engine at elevated RPM until the bucking starts or the engine stalls, then check the level.

the thing to remember here folks is that the truck ran fine prior to the fuel fill up. My guess is bad gas or water gas. replace filters and add some heet to the tank.
Im guessing that s***ty gas station served up a date rape drink for your rig!

Thank you everyone for the help...I'm staying out of the sun for another day..gonna try to figure things out.

Alternator is fine...the gauge did not move one time while all of the bucking and hesitation was going on.

Water pump is fine I believe since the engine is staying cool.

Ac compressor not sure about...

Smog pump is on the driver side fender...the one that is a pain in the butt to get to and get the belt on and off? Is there an easier way to test the smog pump without taking the belt off? Im afraid if I am able to get it off, I wouldn't get it back on by myself.

Problem started after I filled up all the way from right below half...

Lots of info here, sorry can't reply to it all. Great ideas...I will go work on some of them now.

Thank you

Oh and btw...after I filled my tank with gas, I went in for some coffee and the good ol folk at the counter said HEY DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE COFFEE, YOU JUST FILLED UP WITH GAS!!

Hmmmm ;p

Thanks guys!

I haven't checked it yet but lets say i bypass the smog pump anyways, working or not, would that matter?

changing spark plugs right now, they are super dirty, changed fuel filter.

Changed the plugs, they were filthy. Checked everything EXCEPT:

fuel line AFTER the pump
Fuel pipe at carb

Need help with these...

Also still haven't checked the smog pump since I don't know what to do..

belt for bypass and whatever else might be needed..as said in previous posts of mine.

The LOUD squeak is still there, I'm really starting to think it is a pump or something. It's quite loud, much different from what it appeared yesterday at driving speed. Almost a loud high pitch rattle/barn of chickens sound.

Thanks for the help!!

EDIT: truck is at a shop, gonna see if it's the pump...go from there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom