Which oil are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The answers to this long asked question would circle the globe many times if typed end to end on a sheet of paper. As many of us are concerned about how long a F/2F will last I thought it was important to point out the fact that there are not many store bought oils available that contain levels of anti wear additives and friction modifiers which were originally specified for these engines. ZDDP as it is commonly referred to was removed from commercially available motor oils a few years ago as they apparently reduce the catalytic converters ability to reduce emissions.

These newer oils have been cited as causing excessive wear, lifter, and camshaft failure in older flat tappet style engines.

I have been using a Pennzoil 25W50 Racing Oil in all of my older vehicles along with one bottle of Comp Cams Assembly Lube to try to prevent the loss of a camshaft.

Newer roller camshaft motors don't seem to be affected by the lack of ZDDP in the newer oils.

What type of oils/additives are others using in F/2F egines?

For the meantime i'm running Rotella 15w40 diesel oil.next oil change im going back to my Chevron 10w40 this summer.

Mobil 1 15-50 for my 2F. I had an old Nissan p/u with 230K on it. Pulled the valve cover, was shiney silver and spotless! Used it since new. My Lexus has 97K, just did the vlave cover seals, again, looked brand new in there. Old Maxima w/ 242K, spotless. In my 2f now for 50K, has 252K, runs perfect.

Rotella 15-40 here. It is what I have used since I bought my 60. I chose this after reading tons and tons of threads on the topic, and the Rotella always seemed to win out.

Rotella 15-40.

Valvolone VR1 10-30W.

Rotella, Delo, Pennzoil, other diesel oils

As far as I know the diesel oils stil have some of the wear additives and friction modifiers in them. I think I read they plan to cut the levels of ZDP in the diesel oils as most of the new diesels have catalysts on them.

The important thing to take away from all of this is that just because a certain oil has worked in the past doesn't mean it will work now. The older formulations of the same brand and type of oil had more ZDDP in them.

Many of the "Racing Oils" are labeld for "Off Road Use Only" and still contain the wear additives and friction modifiers that are essential for flat tappet cam motors. these oils are pricey but oil is cheaper than a rebuild.

Does any one know if a roller lifter cam is available for the F/2F?

Almost everything in the yard gets Delo 400 15w40. I get it in 5 gallon buckets at the local chevron distributor. While that might seem like a lot to buy at a time, the FJ62 and the CTD will kill a bucket if I change both the same weekend.

deltapine1 is correct, if you head to walmart, o'reilly's, autozone, or whatever and get a jug of rotella or delo, it is a low emission formula (CJ-4), which has reduced levels of ZDDP. Granted, it's still higher than most of the SM rated new gasser oils, but still, it's worth pointing it out.

The EPA in their infinite wisdom has mandated the phasing out of zinc in even diesel oils since now they too have converters which are, according to the EPA, susceptable to contamination from the zinc should the motor consume oil (it has the same effect as a leaded fuel, it just happens more slowly.) The argument that a Cruiser's valve springs are too soft to create real problems is perhaps valid, but your best bet is to find something from a farm implements store or something made specifically for classic cars if you want the zinc.

Castrol 10-30

Comp Cams Assembly Lube

Brokenparts said it best! A lot shorter than my previous posts too!

Wagon4WD is up on the API specs.; do you know if the older spec. CG-4 had the ZDDP?

the F and 2F's are tough and have low seat pressure springs compared to other vehicles but the removal of ZDDP from the oils is going to cause increased wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom