Landcruiser Fuel Tank Recall Replacement (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently contacted Toyota of America and was shocked that my FJ qualified for the Fuel Tank recall. I have an 88 FJ62 and heard about this on this site, so I called and had them check my VIN#. Long story short...very short...it has been fixed for free. I am posting the parts list from that recall in case you contact your local dealer and they tell you that the parts have been discontinued...like I experienced.

(1) 77001-60221 Tank Sub-Assy, Fuel
(1) 77169-14010 Gasket, Fuel Suction
(1) 83361-20030 Gasket, Fuel Sender
(1) 77213-60030 Hose, Fuel Tank
(1) 77249-60040 Hose, Fuel Emission
(1) 77249-60050 Hose, Fuel Emission
(1) 90445-22904 Hose
(1) 95333-06040 Hose, Fuel
(1) 95332-10040 Hose, Fuel
(6) 96132-30600 Clip
(2) 90467-20134 Clip
(2) 96132-41500 Clip, Hose
(2) 96111-10630 Clamp, Hose
(4) 94183-00800 Nut, Lock

did you check to see if it qualified for the rear seat belt repair?

glad to hear it worked out for you.....I still need to check mine.

no but I will.

LizardKing: I was told I qualify, but parts don't exist. Thanks for the helpful post

YES HAD MINE AND A BUDDIES DONE ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO UNDER WARREN-TEE (recall)

Had mine done in January at Toyota of El Cajon. No problem. Had to go in once to verify recall had not been performed. They ordered the parts and called me when parts came in. Presto, new fuel tank on my 20 year old car with 275000 miles.

If the parts have been discontinued, is the fix still free? I guess my question is would I need to go track down the parts and have them install them or do I just have to wait until the local toyota dealership receives them?

It's free! I just had mine done about a month ago also. I just had to wait for them to order the parts. It only took a couple of days, they called me, and the same day my fuel tank and rear seat belts were replaced for free!

I had to make sure mine was done before I was to import the FJ into Canada.(2010)

The Dealer needed a week to get all the parts , and make sure that they didn't open a can of worms.
I left my abused FJ on there lot since they wanted some sort of a commitment from me.

I bought a few things from the dealer parts , and made sure the gents in the back got a few coffee break treats .. Krunchy creams I think.

Very little $ for a new fuel tank.

VT

I had my 60 done but now I pulled the tank to put in a 38 gallon. IF any Mudders want the tank it's in Southern Illinois I would be happy to give it to you just come pick it up. I'm not going to ship sorry...

My 1983 fj60 {238,000 miles} still has the original gas tank. Why were the tanks recalled in the first place???? Was it a safety issue that I should be concerned about??? Thanks for any reply. If it is a safety issue I may need to get it fixed as the cruiser is my daily driver.

My '88 FJ62 has not had the recalls done either, even though it has 220K on it.

Walked into the dealer expecting a bit of a fuss, but quite the opposite. Its was a very busy time for them, be he dropped everything, and put the order in, and got the parts on order. No ice cream required. He made the comment that "its a lot of expensive parts, and labor and he was happy to do the work". The dealer makes money on these I take it.

Oh and even with the problems in Japan right now they got the parts in 2 days.

I say, check with the dealer - they want to do the recall for you, and its super easy.

My 1983 fj60 {238,000 miles} still has the original gas tank. Why were the tanks recalled in the first place???? Was it a safety issue that I should be concerned about??? Thanks for any reply. If it is a safety issue I may need to get it fixed as the cruiser is my daily driver.

Yes, the original tanks can split, causing catastrophic leaks. The US DOT requires that the tanks be replaced if it has not been done for free, no matter the age of the vehicle (or so I have heard).

They can *split*??? Yikes, had heard of the recall but was figuring I'd just watch it until I upgraded to a 38 gal tank...

What do you think about preemptively replacing the fuel pump (1988 FJ62 w/247K), which I heard was a nightmare to get to above the tank? Leave well enough alone or maybe they'll cut me a break on labor since the tank will already be out?

I went to my local dealer yesterday to see if mine had been replaced. The info they had showed the tank on my '84 was replaced in 1992 and the seatbelts were done in 1990. It was worth it just to find out when the work was done and where. I'd rather have a new tank on a 27 year old truck, but a 19 year old tank isn't bad.

AKRIG thanks for the info. I think I will be getting my local dealer to find out if mine has been done.

You can check for recalls on your vehicles online here. It doesn't tell you when it was done (if it was done), but it will tell you if you need it. It will say "There are no scheduled recalls for your vehicle" or something like that if it was done. I just checked my 1988 Pickup and it looks like they owe me an egr pipe replacement.

https://auth2.toyota.com/owners/SSCInfo-index.html?siteid=too_toyota_recall_vinlookup#

Yes a split tank sounds bad, especially at almost $4 a gallon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom