Weber vs Asian (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have read a lot of threads on this and i dont see why someone with mechanical abilities would choice a Asian carb over a weber, sure you have to spend a half hour to modify it to clime a hill but it is fully tunable for any bolt on acc, you install,header, dizzy,cam shaft,high flow exhaust , desmog,or even changes in altitude, you tune a weber to all these mods, where a asian carb is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stock carbs are tune-able. If they weren't no ones would run correctly.

The Weber is preferred by a lot of people because it is brand new and usually makes their 2F run better than it did with the AISIN, which is 20 some-odd-years-old and in need of some maintenance.

I don't have a preference. In my time crunch rebuild we put on the Weber. It works well. The 38 needs jetting to run properly because it is slightly too large for the 2F, causing a usually rich mixture. Curious thing is the stock carb is bigger, but it was designed for the engine. Toyota is pretty clever.

My thoughts and ramblings above.

Merry Christmas!

My experience with the weber 32/36 Installed by PO:

I have tried jetting, set the idle circuit perfect, got a 10" air cleaner, but still runs like poo. My conclusion, 32/36 is too small for the engine. go for the Aisin or maybe weber 38... my 2 cents

On the other hand it is a simple one vac. line, and no clutter under the hood. and it starts every time without fail. so there are some +'s to the weber.

i have read a lot of threads on this and i dont see why someone with mechanical abilities would choice a Asian carb over a weber, sure you have to spend a half hour to modify it to clime a hill but it is fully tunable for any bolt on acc, you install,header, dizzy,cam shaft,high flow exhaust , desmog,or even changes in altitude, you tune a weber to all these mods, where a asian carb is what it is.

I've done dozens of Weber conversions over the last 30 years.

I can say this without a second thought, Weber carbs that are made in Spain are Total JUNK! They are poorly casted with low grade aluminum.:eek:

The higher end weber's are real nice, but those start at about $600. and go up from there.

These guys know everything about Weber, and it's a good place to start.;)

Authentic Weber Carbs, Manifolds, Conversion Kits, Accessories and More!

Aisan carbs are of very good quality.

Stock carbs are tune-able. If they weren't no ones would run correctly.

The Weber is preferred by a lot of people because it is brand new and usually makes their 2F run better than it did with the AISIN, which is 20 some-odd-years-old and in need of some maintenance.

I don't have a preference. In my time crunch rebuild we put on the Weber. It works well. The 38 needs jetting to run properly because it is slightly too large for the 2F, causing a usually rich mixture. Curious thing is the stock carb is bigger, but it was designed for the engine. Toyota is pretty clever.

My thoughts and ramblings above.

Merry Christmas!

merry xmas to you to
aside from idle air mixture, idle speeds,float level, what other adjustments can you make with a asian carb

aside from idle air mixture, idle speeds,float level, what other adjustments can you make with a asian carb

Well, you can change fuel jet size, primary and secondary and accelerator pump. Air correction jets come in different sizes. On my '74 Aisan with the mechanical secondary I can tell the secondary to open earlier or later...

Well, you can change fuel jet size, primary and secondary and accelerator pump. Air correction jets come in different sizes. On my '74 Aisan with the mechanical secondary I can tell the secondary to open earlier or later...

where can you purchase the jets

where can you purchase the jets

I've bought them at the Toyota parts counter (the last digits of the part number are the orifice size), I've had them come in carb rebuild kits, I've scavenged them off of old carbs, bought and sold them at swap meets...sometimes you can even find them in the float bowl plugs of an Aisan carb.

I've bought them at the Toyota parts counter (the last digits of the part number are the orifice size), I've had them come in carb rebuild kits, I've scavenged them off of old carbs, bought and sold them at swap meets...sometimes you can even find them in the float bowl plugs of an Aisan carb.

live at above 4000 ft level a lot of carburetors need rejected just to pass smog

The high altitude jets are usually the ones included in the float bowl plugs on a stock Aisan carb...

There MAY be a spare pair there (one is an accelerator pump jet)...I forget what year Toyota stopped doing that.

merry xmas to you to

the 2F High Altitude Compensation (HAC) system automatically adjusts the fuel mixture (and dizzy timing ftm) by sensing the altitide and opening/closing ports on the Aisin accordingly.

The 2F A/C idle up system will automatically adjust the idle RPM's
(to your pre tuned specs) on the Aisin when you are running the A/C

Second barrel opens under engine demand, webber always oppens both barrels...can affect MPG's

In cab manual choke and seperate hand throttle for the Aisin

Aisin integrates a vapor scavenging system at the bowl to help prevent vapor lock, and recover fuel vapor.

webber will not operate all your vac dependant smog equipmment if you have to run it.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more...

FWIW
I have a 1982 w/ Aisin and a 1986 with Webber, both are fully desmogged. The webber has been OK in the 85 but after I had the Aisin carb and dizzy for my 82 rebuilt by JimC, there really is no comparison in my mind.

The 86 is getting the Aisin back this spring.

HTH

swamp60

Last edited:
"I don't see why someone with mechanical abilities would choose a weber carb over an Aisan. Sure you have to spend a half hour to desmog it, but it is fully tunable for any bolt on acc: header, dizzy, camshaft, high flow exhaust, desmog,or even changes in altitude."

^Fixed it for you^

Weber doesn't make a carb to fit a Cruiser engine. They focus more on the small car and performance market. The Aisan carb is big at the top end (~60% bigger than the common weber swap), but has a small primary barrel for low speed operation. It is designed for the Cruiser engine and it's unusual demands.

From an old post:
Stock FJ60 carb is almost the biggest that is readily available. 75-76 USA carb is biggest CFM available, around 425.

The weber 38/38 that is commonly sold as an upgrade has 38/38 throttles and 26/26 venturis.

By comparison Aisan 38/40 has 31/35 venturis.

Aisan throttle area: 23.90cm^2
Weber throttle area: 22.68cm^2
Aisan is 5% bigger.

The limiting factor to airflow through a carb has to be the venturi. For the carb to work right, there must be a significant delta P right at the venturi, a greater change than anywhere else in the induction system.

Cross sectional flow area at the venturi:
Aisan: 17.17cm^2
Weber: 10.62cm^2
Aisan has 61% more CSA in the critical venturi area.

Request made to Rigger to FAQ this ~~ please, please.

weber sucks!!!!!!! BAD

I have no idea why they have gotten so popular, ive run them on a samurai, a 83 pickup, even a tercel.

Crappy Crappy carb, horrible gas mileage and almost no improvement in performance.

weber sucks!!!!!!! BAD

I have no idea why they have gotten so popular, ive run them on a samurai, a 83 pickup, even a tercel.

Crappy Crappy carb, horrible gas mileage and almost no improvement in performance.

All cars and carbs take tuning and tinkering don't forget that.

On my rebuilt 2F with a Weber I am getting 12 mpg city/ highway. That is what the factory quoted it as on the window sticker so I am happy. They can be tuned for better mileage.

Plus there is no guarantee all of your issues while running a Weber were caused by the Weber carburetor.

weber sucks!!!!!!! BAD

Just about every street performance car and race car I've owned/crewed with has had weber(s) on it. IMHO, they make good carbs, just not for Cruiser tractor engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom