FRAME SWAP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MANUCHAO

omnia mea mecum porto
Threads
FZJ60 frame swap..

So, after running my V-tec power wagon.. for two years....
I wanted to go higher but I was not sold on SOA (not that there is anything wrong with it). Is just not me.
I wanted a full floater rear axle but for what they going for.....forget it.
I wanted 4.11's but scoring a set is not cheap and time consuming.
I wanted rear disk brakes but did not want to mess with my e-brake.
I specially wanted coils cause I have heard how much more of a plush ride they are.... so I went the way a few in this addictive website have gone.........(i.e. lowtideride, MOR4WD)
Im putting my rig on top of a fzj80 chassis...

Why do it?
guess I was bored...... :flipoff2:

I dont know much about 80's suspensions but what I have seen so far I like..
Been reading lots of threads about suspension and upgrades...
Thanks to all the mudders that have answer my questions...

Still got a long way to go....but its coming out really nice...

Im keeping front and rear bumper going to make them fit on the 80's frame..
Gas tank will have to be special order as the FJ62 tank I was running is not going to fit....:meh: but the fun part is a 44 gallon tank will and a little more than half the price for what MAN-A-FRE sells theirs DOT approved and made of aluminum.
Not running ABS or the load sensing valve.
Gonna try to keep the 2 year old exhaust that's under the 60 right now and will probably have to rebuilt the front axle and swap birfs to make my hub fit and work properly.

Im using the existing brake lines and just rearrange how the run on the frame.

I got the frame with a 3.5 suspension J springs and its sitting pretty high so might go with lower springs but I will run these and see how it does....
Already got the DYI kit for the panhard and upper control arms still need the caster bushings and shocks.

I got the drive shafts from the 80 and they have the same spline as the one for the 60, but I still have to get them to the right lenght.

I will post more pics later on...

Last edited:
Consider me SUBSCRIBED !!

This is AWESOME !! I had no idea this kind of madness could be accomplished. I may scrap my next mods and go find an 80 .... probably not, but a guy can dream !!

Frank, a few short years ago you couldn't weld....WTF happened to you?!?! Have you gone mad?

Since I followed you in swapping the L59 Flexfuel engine...you may be paving the way for me AGAIN! Post lots of pics!

Consider me SUBSCRIBED !!

This is AWESOME !! I had no idea this kind of madness could be accomplished. I may scrap my next mods and go find an 80 .... probably not, but a guy can dream !!

Me either....until I saw what other mudders were doing to their rigs....

Frank, a few short years ago you couldn't weld....WTF happened to you?!?! Have you gone mad?

Since I followed you in swapping the L59 Flexfuel engine...you may be paving the way for me AGAIN! Post lots of pics!

Haha..what make you think I can weld ?? :D
MAD ? More like "loco in the membrane !!! "

Its IH8mud's fault !!!

Ahh the inspiration.......wish me luck !!!

:beer::beer:

Man....I think I would have just bought an 80... you've taken on a big project. Yes there is another thread in the 60 section where a guy swapped in some 80 axles...

What about the body mounts surely they are different and in different locations?

Man....I think I would have just bought an 80... you've taken on a big project. Yes there is another thread in the 60 section where a guy swapped in some 80 axles...

What about the body mounts surely they are different and in different locations?

Don't be such a downer ... You get all the technology of an 80 and the STYLE of a 60 !!

Body mounts are just details !!

:cheers:

Im not going to say "NEVER" but I know I would not drive an 80 anytime soon... and where would the fun on that be ???

There is actually two threads of 60/62's under 80 frame/axles.
There is also one pig and couple of 40's that I have seen over the years...

Yeah all body mounts were shaven off the 80 frame and new mounts were welded in....

I have seen it in person, the truck is an awesome beast! I cant wait to drive it:steer: Manu's fab skills have leaped light years ahead of where he was when he did the Vortec swap.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Wow. Still has the 8" front ring gear though, not that it makes much of a difference.

Last edited:
I think the 80 setup is a step forward.... not down on anything.

next project....take a fully locked 80 and swap in a GM 6.0 with 4L80E trans and part time TC.

Awesome build Frank:beer:

Wow. Still has the 8" front ring gear though, not that it makes much of a difference.

Yeah.. Im hoping the same....

next project....take a fully locked 80 and swap in a GM 6.0 with 4L80E trans and part time TC.

There is one going on as we speak Link

Minus the P/T Transfer Case..

Thanks Rusty and Dyno !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom