How to Trailer a '60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are tons of threads out there with great info on this, I just thought I'd do a "how to" for those of you in the same boat as me.

Scenario:
Moving across country and I don't want to drive my 60, so I am going to pull a Penske Car Carrier behind a 26' Penske moving truck.

Why Penske over Uhaul? Everytime I use Uhaul their stuff is ****, dirty and pretty scary. Penske has never disappointed me yet.
Another good reason Uhaul scares me: https://forum.ih8mud.com/chit-chat-section/90693-double-cruiser-rollover.html

Now a 60 fits on a Penke car carrier, no problem, there are pix on this site to prove it, I lost the link. The problem is the weight. A Penske CC is rated for only 4055 lbs. I went to a scale today, my 60 weighed 4600. All I have different from stock right now is 33 1250 tires, probably heavier rims, and a 33 1250 spare. My rear bumper is a little tougher aftermarket one, but nothing too crazy.

So, to rent the car carrier, I had to fib and say it was for a 98 Dodge Stratus so it would allow me to continue with the reservation. Do this at your own risk. I assume if something goes wrong, you will be in it deep.

Here are the ingredients thus far:
SDC10003.jpg
SDC10002.jpg
SDC10005.jpg

Last edited:
So, to make the tire strap longer I bought these. I connect the ratchet to the end where the dude's hand is in the above pic, then the free end will go into the trailer's ratchet
152511_lg.jpg
img_move_carcarrierloading4.jpg

Hot damn you're Cruisin for a Bruisin! I will keep watching as this show unfolds

And here is the plan for when I get the 60 on the trailer

The axle wraps (seen wrapped around the barbell) will obviously go around the axle.

Normally, the hook on the ratchet end would go through both D rings on the axle wrap and the other hook of the ratchet strap set would go through a D ring on the trailer (ideally). Similar to the above pic with the 'X' pattern going on.

Since there are no D rings or solid "hooking" spots that I could see, I'm going to wrap around the larger cross beams up front and in the rear. Also, an X pattern can't be done, that I can think of, with the need to wrap around a cross beam as done below. If I do an 'X' the strap on the cross beam it will slide centrally.

So it will go (follow the loop in the pic from right side of barbell, down): axle wrap, D Ring, hook, strap, wrap around cross beam (empty part of the loop at bottom part of pic), ratchet, then hook will hook on other side of axle wrap.
SDC10006B.jpg

So that's the plan. When I pick up the trailer and get it on there, I will post more pix and info.

Any and all advice, questions and suggestions are welcome.

Peace.:cheers:

Pull the motor, trans and Tcase that should get you down to 4000lbs.
When you get to CO i will be kind enough to sell you a 3B with a Trans & Tcase.
See how easy that was.

^I'll give you 80 bucks for that drivetrain :D.

Also, I hauled my old Jeep on 35's about 1000 miles on one of those trailers. I was closer to the weight limit (~4100 lbs iirc) but I had to get straps and crank it down. FWIW, there are attachment points, they're just well disguised.

I haven't got it yet, so I guess I could request it. Their online reservation thing makes no mention of it. I'll call them.

Also, making some changes in the plan. Exchanging these yellow ones with the open hook to these black ones with a securing hook. I hope they are long enough to make the trip from the axle strap, down around a cross beam and back to the axle strap...

Penske has a Heavy Duty Trailer you could have used.

They are rated to haul a 1999 F-250 Diesel 4x4 (but the truck will not fit on the trailer.)
332776_lg.jpg
150090_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Penske has a Heavy Duty Trailer you could have used.

They are rated to haul a 1999 F-250 Diesel 4x4 (but the truck will not fit on the trailer.)

Assuming I talk to an idiot on the phone, do you have any specifics or anything that will help me spoon feed whomever I talk to? Some people are a little too simple :clap:

^I'll give you 80 bucks for that drivetrain :D.

Also, I hauled my old Jeep on 35's about 1000 miles on one of those trailers. I was closer to the weight limit (~4100 lbs iirc) but I had to get straps and crank it down. FWIW, there are attachment points, they're just well disguised.

Yeah, I looked. I'm happy to be wrong, but beyond the little 1/4" rods you can see welded at 45 degree angles in the pix on post #1 (safety chains are attached to them) I don't see anything very reliable looking...btw, those are my pix and I looked everywhere for attachment points while I was there scoping out the trailers.

I was standing in the local Penske location with my Boss who was moving. The Penske employee told us about it. We had to wait 2 days for them to bring it to this location. The weight and specs worked for his 1999 F250 Diesel 4x4 but his stock truck was too wide for the trailer. Found that out after we rented it.

Assuming I talk to an idiot on the phone, do you have any specifics or anything that will help me spoon feed whomever I talk to? Some people are a little too simple :clap:

I was standing in the local Penske location with my Boss who was moving. The Penske employee told us about it. We had to wait 2 days for them to bring it to this location. The weight and specs worked for his 1999 F250 Diesel 4x4 but his stock truck was too wide for the trailer. Found that out after we rented it.

You remember the weight limit so I can reference it to them? I'm assuming the worst when it comes to knowledge and customer service these days. I'm just gonna say the same thing you told me; I was helping a buddy move....

The weight rating was 6,500lbs and the cargo weight was 5,000lbs.

Well, hell. I believe you, but Penske (2 different agents) looked into it. The only thing they can come up with, is that it was one of those affiliate locations (deals Penske on the side kind of thing) and the Penske salesmen basically lied.

I told 'em the weight ratings above and one dude had been there for quite a while and has never come across such a thing. It may exist, I just can't get it.

So I think Penske is just being conservative to cover their ass. Trailer is rated at 4055lbs. Our Montero Sport Limited (prob bigger rims being "limited) was not allowed to reserve the car carrier, but if I changed it to the montero sport ES, the reservation system allowed me to reserve the car carrier. Oddly enough, the weight of a montero sport ES is 4600lbs....Hmmm? Doesn't that exceed the trailer's allowance? Oh well. The are probably just being conservative to cover their ass.

I'll put my 4600lb 60 on the trailer, take off the rear bumper and spare tire/wheel and unload everything and move out.

TO: bosljeff....

Dude, you crossfit and you have an LC......Killer!!!!

Thanks all for the trailer info since I plan to tow my LC to Nevada

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom