Power seriously are they this bad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so i have had my 84 FJ60 for about a month now and all really is great kinda neat drivin an old rig again but r they all really this underpowered?? It idles fine starts up everytime and i dont seem to have any major issues but by god is it a dog it takes forever to get up to speed after a light, once its moving it seems fine but takes forver and if u r not right on the shift lookout. I have been reading about vacuum leaks cld i possibly have one thats killing the power??
Suggestions welcomed please

no they arent that bad. check timing and all vacuum lines. give her a tuneup etc...

vacuum diagram

Any pics of the vacuum lines that r not in greek i am probably way down the line in owners of this rig and who knows whats been done before me
Thanks

Bad is so objective! I think they are totally gutless, but I love it all the same. After all, brand new the engine is only rated at 135 HP. Add 25 years and lots of miles and so output is even less. Quite a bit of weight to push around with that little amount of power. Especially by today' standards where it seems that everything has 250+ HP.

Now there are a number of things that can be done to perk up the engine somewhat. And some people have done radical things to get a great amount of power out of these, but in general, they are low power, long lived rigs.

They aren't that bad. While I have a 62 and not a 60 I can get it up to 70 mph on the freeway with stock gearing and 31 inch tires. The 60 is notorious for vacuum leaks. Replace all vacuum hoses and give the truck a general cheap tuneup. You get to learn about the truck and it will perform better. Use the search function in this forum to find lots of threads regarding this issue. If you can't find what you are looking for when searching others will point you to the right threads.

what diameter tubing is used for most of the vacuum leaks? i'd like to just buy a spool of it and replace all of mine.

what diameter tubing is used for most of the vacuum leaks? i'd like to just buy a spool of it and replace all of mine.

I use 3mm ID silicone tubing for most of the stuff. I think OEM is 3.5mm, but the 3mm works fine. I have not had much luck finding fractional inch sizes that fit at all well. Also, silicone or siliconized rubber (OEM) is preferred because it has a higher heat toleralnce. The Buna Rubber you get from the auto parts store will get hard and crack within a year or so.

Any pics of the vacuum lines that r not in greek i am probably way down the line in owners of this rig and who knows whats been done before me
Thanks

here are some diagrams

Along with getting the vacuum tubing straightened out, you should check to make sure your secondary diaphragm is working properly. There is a simple test you can do by putting a paper clip on the diaphragm control rod, near the diaphragm housing. Then drive the truck, accellerating hard to get the secondary to open. Check the paper clip. If it has moved down the control rod, then the diaphragm pulled in and is working properly. If it didn't move, then your secondary might be blown.

Attachments

• vacuum piping.pdf
    269.6 KB · Views: 226
What are you driving, a 60 or 62. I know when I first got my 60 on the highway it would lose speed on all hill climbs. I did a major tune up, desmoged, added a header, and a good exhaust and it was like a new truck. Now it gains speed up these hills. The entire package was a huge preformance upgrade. I cant say any one thing was great but all these together really helped.

here are some diagrams

Nice diagram. Where's this from? Have one for a 12HT?

fj60_vacuum_routing.gif

Why is this turning into a VAC leak thread? the first thing he said was "it starts and idles fine" And slight vac. leaks will not cause a major lack of power up in rpms. Baseline the tune up, check timing, and have the carb gone though. Then look at the cats, adj. valves and check comp. You will find your issue ( it will still be slow:cheers:)

I have a 85 60 that's been desmogged; it was pretty embarressing until recently on the highway, seemed like I would have to downshift to go downhill! Did a full tuneup, replaced carb with a desmog carb from TrollHole, adjusted valves and timing(this was key, drove me nuts till I set the timing. Which needs set to the BB, not the mark, btw. If you set it to the mark you'll need to be sure you have plenty of :beer: on hand.) Runs like a top now! It's no sports car of course, but I can gain speed in any gear on any of the hills we have around here. Idles great, lugs down real low, and starts with no choke and less than a second of cranking. I guess the point of all that rambling is to say all that stuff made a huge difference in the power of my rig.

In addition to what everyone else has said: Pop the cap on your distributor and see what the inside looks like. 20+ years of moisture can really take it's toll on the contacts and mechanical/vacuum advances inside the distributor even with the factory vent lines on the cap in place. I know my truck was so corroded in there that the mechanical advance had completely seized. That was a huge performance and gas mileage bump just to get that fixed.

FWIW, my FJ62 has more snort now that it has a new exhaust system.

They aren't that bad. While I have a 62 and not a 60 I can get it up to 70 mph on the freeway with stock gearing and 31 inch tires.

I can get my HJ60 up to 140km on the freeway. It's still a gutless mofo when considered in 2009's terms as all of these types threads should be imo.

Your 60 series is slow, it was slow from factory and it will not become faster with time.

If you want more power, then you will need to provide more power to your machine.....pretty simple.

Don't get missled by the forum tragic's that often populate "low power" threads with their rhetoric

Everything is relative. I can remember when I was younger and had a VW bug with a 40 hp motor. That thing was so gutless that I literally had to downshift if there was a head wind! But just like my cruiser, it always got me where I was going and back home again.

Like I tell all my friends...It may not be fast but it'll get me wherever I need to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom