New Tach for the V8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been wanting to replace the Tach in my 60 since the OEM tach is not calibrated correctly for the V8 and I did not want to do the Potentiometer. I have been looking at all the Autometer gauges, since I will be adding a tranny temp gauge in when i do the 700r4 next week as well.

I had however read somewhere that a Sunpro 2 5/8 fit real nice with some funky bracketry in the stock location, replaing the old oem pod completely. I happened to be in a auto parts store today and they had a Sunpro in stock Part #CP7906.

I had a spare dash from a 60 and started working on making it fit, and just did not like how it sat in the location. It was too far back. I decided to take it apart and see if I could make it fit in the original pod that housed the OEM tach.

I was in luck, the holes lined up for the screws, some slight trimming of a tab in the bottom of the pod, and an extra hole drilled for wires, and even the original lighting will work.

Once I had it installed in the dash, I plugged it in and basically fried it......:whoops::bang::bang: I had incorrectly assumed the stock wiring will match up. I should have checked the wiring before I just assumed.

SO, a real nice install, and once I get the new one, I will finish the wiring and have a working Tach.
P1010007.jpg
P1010010.jpg
P1010012.jpg

Last edited:
After the install

Final install pics
P1010013.jpg
P1010014.jpg
P1010015.jpg

nice I like it

That looks awsome. Very creative!

not bad at all. I guess your already missing me after your fried it LMAO.

not bad at all. I guess your already missing me after your fried it LMAO.

LOL yeah, did I meter the wires? Meter? me? LOL! As I have said many times before, electrical is not my forte.

Thank goodness it was only a $25 gauge. I was pretty darn pleased with myself till I did that. I should have just run the red to fusebox, black to ground and the green to the plug at the coil, instead of what I did. Oh yeah, and it would not start with it plugged in to the harness. Probably grounded it out somehow.

Ex

Nice job on that - somewhere in my build thread is info on using the stock stuff and having it rebuilt to work with the GM V8, also I had my faceplate re-printed with a new redline as well.

Your solution looks faster/easier

Nice job on that - somewhere in my build thread is info on using the stock stuff and having it rebuilt to work with the GM V8, also I had my faceplate re-printed with a new redline as well.

Your solution looks faster/easier

Yep, I had read yours and also spoke with Iaintscared and if not for the cost, would have gone that way.

Ex

LOL yeah, did I meter the wires? Meter? me? LOL! As I have said many times before, electrical is not my forte.

Thank goodness it was only a $25 gauge. I was pretty darn pleased with myself till I did that. I should have just run the red to fusebox, black to ground and the green to the plug at the coil, instead of what I did. Oh yeah, and it would not start with it plugged in to the harness. Probably grounded it out somehow.

Ex

QUICK......Red Wire or Blue Wire.......Well, what are you going to do????

Done

Installed the new tach tonight. I actually metered the wires from the plug this time, and figured out I was way off on my assumptions. All good now, and the tach works great. The lighting is too bright, and I will have to address that by moving the tach inside the pod closer to the window.

All in all a 1:banana: job.

Ex

Wish I would have known about this instead of spending big $$ for Redline to calibrate mine-- which has not worked yet. :mad: Problem on mine seems to be the computer is not sending the proper signal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom