Wagongear's Newest Product: Firestick Antenna Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GLTHFJ60

Rum Runnin'
SILVER Star
Threads
As we all do, I broke off my stock manual adjust antenna on a tree at some point. For a long time I was looking for a way to set up my radio and CB, which, at the time, I thought was only possible with 2 antennas. Well Kevin Rowland told me different. He has a slick firestick setup, mounted in the stock location and grommet, using a CB antenna coupled with the Matchmaker FM / CB splitter to use the same antenna for both CB and FM. I bugged him and bugged him to make me a mount to do the same. Well he designed it and here is the kit!

The first pics are pics of what Kevin included in my kit, which came with the antenna, mount and Matchmaker splitter. Everything is Stainless steel, so I never have to worry about it rusting.

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

So to install it, you first have to remove the top bolt from the windshield washer resovior, and loosen the bottom two ( 10 mm bolts ). After setting that to the side next to the AC lines, you can see the stock antenna mount. It is attached at the bottom with one bolt, and then on top of the fender with a steel washer that needs to be unscrewed.
IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

After removal of the antenna, you must unbolt the ground wire, which is connected to one of the windshield wiper motor bolts. You also need to remove the FM cable from the back of the radio and pull it through the grommet in the firewall. At this point, you are dissasembled.
IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

To install the antenna, first bolt the mount you got from Kevin into the stock bolt hole using the supplied bolt, so that the flat portion of the mount is facing the top of the fender as pictured. Next, put the threaded rod down through the stock grommet and mount. Assemble the washers and Fire Ring as pictured.
IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

firering.gif

Finally, clip the ground cable off of the stock antenna ( if not being sold or reused ) and run this cable from the mount's bolt to the original ground wire location. Screw the antenna onto the spring on top of the mount, and the antenna installation is done!
IMG_0320.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

For the CB radio, I installed mine underneath the dash. I like it out of the way, so all my controls are in the microphone, and the in-dash unit is just for wire connections. I will not thoroughly document my install because there are so many ways to do it. Enjoy!

Thanks for this...I've been wanting to do something like this also.

Let's see pics of your CB installed!

Dammit, yet ANOTHER thing I need to get from Kevin. I didn't see it on the site but I'm sure he is going to offer this soon. I have EVERYTHING else already including the Match-Maker. Guess I should have kept my old pile of crap antenna :doh:

Think you could shout about it a little louder there Johnny? :p

My freakin inbox is stuffed this lovely holiday morning, had to come over here to see what was up. I think the bold text and huge thread title might have tipped folks off.....

Anyway, not sure if I would call it the "newest product" yet, more like the newest prototype. Johnny was heading to CMCC antenna-less (once again) and since I would not be there this year to lend him mine, I took pity and got my act together for the mount.

Everyone else, you are gona have to wait a bit longer. :flipoff2:
I promise I will make a web page for it today.

or tomorrow.... :grinpimp:

Oh, and Johnny got ALL the parts from me since I used them to prototype, I will just be selling the mount and supplying the parts list for a Wallcott order. I am not a fire-stick dealer.

Install looks great though Johnny, nice job.
One thing I recommend is NOT pulling the radio antenna out if you can help it, but disconnecting it at the antenna then taping the new cable to it and pulling the whole thing through the grommet and up to the radio. That saves having to snake the cable around.

The mount is really very simple, I'll get the pictures posted and the parts list, I'm sure that most of us here could make their own version very easily if you want to copy.
:cheers:

My freakin inbox is stuffed this lovely holiday morning, had to come over here to see what was up. I think the bold text and huge thread title might have tipped folks off.....

Anyway, not sure if I would call it the "newest product" yet, more like the newest prototype. Johnny was heading to CMCC antenna-less (once again) and since I would not be there this year to lend him mine, I took pity and got my act together for the mount.

One thing I recommend is NOT pulling the radio antenna out if you can help it, but disconnecting it at the antenna then taping the new cable to it and pulling the whole thing through the grommet and up to the radio. That saves having to snake the cable around.

:lol: I figured your newest prototype ( product ) needed some well deserved attention, kinda like how new gadgets or movies are announced months in advance to drum up enthusiasm. I think it worked :flipoff2:

Good point on the radio cable. I had my dash apart so it was easy to get to. Had no problems.

I mounted my CB to the dash support just behind the spedometer, and the matchmaker is mounted right behind the inclometer / ashtray / HVAC controls. I did it that way so if I needed to adjust anything, I didn't have to take out the whole dash to do it. I love it!

Happy 4th everyone!!:beer::beer:

Everyone else, you are gona have to wait a bit longer. :flipoff2:
I promise I will make a web page for it today.

or tomorrow.... :grinpimp:

Oh, and Johnny got ALL the parts from me since I used them to prototype, I will just be selling the mount and supplying the parts list for a Wallcott order. I am not a fire-stick dealer.

The mount is really very simple, I'll get the pictures posted and the parts list, I'm sure that most of us here could make their own version very easily if you want to copy.

First on the list! haha ;)

I wonder how well this would work with my 7ft firestik. :hillbilly:

-Carl

Kevin, you know what I want (in addition to all your other stuff?)

A high quality Wagongear t-shirt, in like forest green.

Cheers,
prat

First on the list! haha ;)
Uh huh, I don't think so, no more lists. ;p

No list needed for these little guys, I'll just make a batch and let you know when they are ready.
And CJ is right, his email is probably one of the oldest in my "antenna" file. :doh:

I got a jump on the web page today, might get it up tonight for more info, but it wont have an active "buy it" link just yet.

And I have been wanting a t-shirt myself.......

Ok I got a page together for more info, apologize for any typo's.
Should make things a bit more clear for the time being though.

Antenna Mount

Swap ya 2 FD shirts for one-a yours... what size ya wear?
Sweet!!!! Maybe I wont have a t-shirt list I'll have a you-send-me-one-first list. :grinpimp:

Last edited:
Maybe I wont have a t-shirt list I'll have a you-send-me-one-first list. :grinpimp:

Only if that's all you & yr :princess: plan on wearing for the next few decades... :p

Actually, that is a neat idea. Then when you get tired of wearing 'em, recycle into a t-shirt quilt for your rig. :cheers:

Sweet install page! Looks much better than this attempt :p

Thanks Johnny, you've got some info and photos here that I don't have though.
I linked this thread on the bottom of the page so we can get the best of both worlds.

sirenmoses said:
Only if that's all you & yr plan on wearing for the next few decades...

Actually, that is a neat idea. Then when you get tired of wearing 'em, recycle into a t-shirt quilt for your rig.

That might be a problem I guess....
But you might be over-estimating the demand for a WagonGear t-shirt :D

This looks like a great idea. While we’re on this topic; I’ve noticed that my old AM/FM antenna doesn’t perform anywhere near as good as newer cars. I can’t get radio stations from as far away and I get interference when using AM. Meaning that I can hear my engine revs through the AM radio interference. While installing this new setup with CB / radio splitter, is there anything else I can do to increase the range and clarity of my sound system? New speakers and head unit will follow in the future. Maybe I should take this to the electronics thread but I thought I would start here since some of the equipment is 60 related.

This looks like a great idea. While we’re on this topic; I’ve noticed that my old AM/FM antenna doesn’t perform anywhere near as good as newer cars. I can’t get radio stations from as far away and I get interference when using AM. Meaning that I can hear my engine revs through the AM radio interference. While installing this new setup with CB / radio splitter, is there anything else I can do to increase the range and clarity of my sound system? New speakers and head unit will follow in the future. Maybe I should take this to the electronics thread but I thought I would start here since some of the equipment is 60 related.

Longer, higher quality fixed antenna with a good ground will always increase your range. I can't comment on how well the matchmaker works because mine appears to be defective. I tuned my CB setup to a SWR on all channels of 1.9, but when I hook up the matchmaker, my SWR meter reads a short. I will pick up another unit when I get back from CMCC.

Johnny & Kevin:

Could you guys possibly post the model number and size of the Firestick that was used on Johnny’s 60? (By the way Kevin, I’m heading over to Wagongear shortly in order to secure my place in line!:hillbilly:)

H.S.M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom