African expedition FJ/HJ60 Build for Jesus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zuluzeugma

SILVER Star
Threads
Did the title get your attention?

Let me explain... About nine months ago, while I was trying to sell an FJ60 on Craigslist, some random person emailed me wanting me to donate it to their organization. My thought: "Well theres a new scam tactic I haven't heard of yet", and went on with my life. About 8 weeks later (after I had sold it), It was really laid upon my heart to go back and find the email. Sure enough, it was legit. The person turned out to be Ben Colby who along with his wife and kid are headed for Liberia as missionaries.

Ben's wife Natalie, is a nurse who works with AIDS patients amongst other sick kids. Ben is a logistics supreme-o who develops special projects in Liberia. They are with SIM based out of Charlotte, NC; Ben and Natalie are from Lyndale, TX

To find out more on them visit: Colby Family in Liberia WELCOME

Liberia is a country the size of TENN and it only has two paved roads in the entire country... There are two seasons: Rainy season and less rainy season.

I am part of an automotive club based at LeTourneau University in Longview, TX (LeTourneau is they guy who built the massive earth moving machines now owned by Komatsu) There are 23 members and 6 of them are Toyota 4X4 junkies like me. I think all of them are on the board. I graduated from LeTourneau with a degree in mechanical engineering two years ago but am still part of the club. The club formed in 1957 as the "non-baptist" Christians (we think its okay to like the taste of beer and love Jesus at the same time) and has continued to keep this theme over the last 50 years - "Love God and all things that go".

Either way, we decided as a group to partner up with the Colby family and build them the ultimate Landcruiser to take with them to Liberia. I know a lot of you are going to ask questions like, "Why don't they just buy an HZJ78 over there?" The answer - Its REALLY expensive for importation taxes on a new car and EVERY used one is TRASHED from what we hear.

So heres what were doing:

- We have a perfect body FJ60 (TX truck - no rust) I picked up for cheap locally with a dead engine (I think it just needs a fuel pump =).
- We just bought a TOTALLY rusted out HJ60 for cheap also with a PERFECT 2H/H55F/Split case (Thanks Brad Yurish of Leesburg, VA).
- We are going to marry the good parts of these two vehicles.
- From what we hear, 2H parts are easier to get than 2F parts and diesel fuel can be purchased in 55 gal. drums where as gasoline is purchased from kids on the side of the street out of pickle jars and its often cut 50% with water.
- We will be adding the following Lord willing and if we get enough donations: Lockers, 3" lift, 33" boggers, custom roof rack, custom bumpers, winch, Rhino lining the inside, etc, etc... We have a ton of ideas that we would like to include. Almost everyone in the club is a mechanical engineer, but almost all of us are also poor college kids (I'm the exception as I actually graduated =)

Between all the Toyota guys in the shop, we have built 15 4X4 Toyotas so the experience and knowledge is there, we just need financial partners.

Like what were doing?

Send tax deductible donations to:
LeTourneau University Automotive Society
2100 South Mobberly Ave.
Longview, TX 75602- In the Memo put Auto Society FJM Project

OR

Donate online (also tax deductible) at: https://mycommunity.letu.edu/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?pid=184&srcid=211
Select "other" and type in Auto Society FJM project

Wana donate any parts? PM me or email joshstralow (at) gmail (dot) com with items you might have.

Don't believe in God? - Thats okay, the humanitarian work this couple does is reason enough to help out or at least watch the build up.

Have any cool ideas for things to add? (i.e. - fuel filtration, etc), by all means - reply to the thread.

Wana just watch the build up? - Thats cool too; we will be filling this things up with pics...

Pic 1: The LeTourneau University Automotive Society
Pic 2: The FJ60 we are starting with
Pic 3: The HJ60 which holds a perfect shape powerplant
Auto Society YB Pic001.jpg
P3290002.jpg
IMG_0245.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome idea man! I don't have anything to give right now as I am a broke college student too, but I think it is great what your doing. I will keep my eye out for deals for you and let people in my church know.

Who knows maybe I will come in to some money? I just got a free place to live!

Cool. Good luck with the build :) Will watch the build and can help out with some small parts I have left over from my build.

hey hey! I'm the guy in Canada. Maybe Ben's mentioned me. I was in Liberia with Mercyships last year for 3.5 months as a mechanic. I really miss the place, the people- eveything.

This truck should serve Ben and his family well. It actually looks pretty much like mine- same red, only mine is a BJ60 (3B) and 5spd. I wish I could help out with some parts, etc but I'm kinda far away and right now I'm quite poor as I'm working part time only.

Sweet build- I'll be following along.

I'd recommend some GOOD fuel filtration/water separator, along with spare filters and perhaps a spare set of injectors.

If Ben is going to do the maintenance and repair on the truck, and even if not, a maintenance manual would be handy.

Do NOT use non-stock parts in the build, other than perhaps filtration. Non-stock parts can be tough to find in those places. For instance an ARB locker would be nice and "better" than an OEM LSD but the OEM LSD is probably more servicable over there so go with the OEM LSD.

You guys up there at LeTourneau are "stealing" our soccer coach for next year did you know that! Give Matt a hello from the shop guy at CAG when he arrives. :)

Do NOT use non-stock parts in the build, other than perhaps filtration. Non-stock parts can be tough to find in those places. For instance an ARB locker would be nice and "better" than an OEM LSD but the OEM LSD is probably more servicable over there so go with the OEM LSD.

Well said! Were trying to keep everything as KISS as possible. Aussie already said they would sell us two lockers shipping included for $400. If we could afford Toyota Cable Lockers, we would totally do it... It only takes money =)

DAMN!! I was looking at buying that same HJ, but you beat me to it.

I'm excited to see how this turns out!

This is Great. I hope I can help out in some way. I will keep my eye out and maybe Isiacjohnstar and I can find some sweet stuff up here in Montana...

Well said! Were trying to keep everything as KISS as possible. Aussie already said they would sell us two lockers shipping included for $400. If we could afford Toyota Cable Lockers, we would totally do it... It only takes money =)

If you go with the Aussies (and I would recommend it) keep the spider gears and all and send them with the truck. That way if something goes south over there they can always go back. It seems that third members are hard to find here in Guatemala and I'd assume it's no different over there.

Cable lockers would be nice but my bet is that they are as rare there as they are here.

If you go with the Aussies (and I would recommend it) keep the spider gears and all and send them with the truck. That way if something goes south over there they can always go back.

Great idea... For as light weight as they are, this will be no problem.

Good luck with the cruiser. If the roads are anything like neighbouring Sierra Leone, they mud is something special!

There is such a thing as a stock HJ60 water filter (I have a picture of one in my build up thread)

I wouldn't bother with air / cable lockers, parts with either a) get nicked or b) break. Aussie lockers would be the best option.

You haven't made is clear if this is a real expedition or if the landcruiser is just being shipped in a container? There are perfectly good roads across the US to Alaska, then it is perfectly possible to cross the Bearing Straits and across Russia, Eastern Europe, Germany, France, Spain, Morocco and down. All perfectly possible. Visa's arn't that much of a problem on this route either.

Here is your route; Google Maps

Go on you know it makes sense! (And what landcruiser are built for)

Good luck with the cruiser. If the roads are anything like neighbouring Sierra Leone, they mud is something special!

There is such a thing as a stock HJ60 water filter (I have a picture of one in my build up thread)

I wouldn't bother with air / cable lockers, parts with either a) get nicked or b) break. Aussie lockers would be the best option.

You haven't made is clear if this is a real expedition or if the landcruiser is just being shipped in a container? There are perfectly good roads across the US to Alaska, then it is perfectly possible to cross the Bearing Straits and across Russia, Eastern Europe, Germany, France, Spain, Morocco and down. All perfectly possible. Visa's arn't that much of a problem on this route either.

Here is your route; Google Maps

Go on you know it makes sense! (And what landcruiser are built for)

Haha, no, they have a company who is shipping it over very inexpensively in a container... Thanks for the advice!

Any chance a donation for this mission can be tax-deductible? Great cause for a buildup for sure!

If possible (donations permitting), don't send the truck with boggers, send it with heavy-duty Michelin tires. A replacement will bogger will be impossible to find in Liberia and I assume a Land Cruiser used for missionary work will see loads well beyond the recommended, best to have some serious-duty tires. Steel wheels are IMPERATIVE, too, alloys will *not* stand up to the abuse and cannot be easily field-repaired.

May I also suggest sending a set of factory service manuals along with the truck? They'll be worth their weight in gold over there.

Any chance a donation for this mission can be tax-deductible? Great cause for a buildup for sure!

If possible (donations permitting), don't send the truck with boggers, send it with heavy-duty Michelin tires. Ae replacment will bogger will be impossible to find in Liberia and I assume a Land Cruiser used for missionary work will see loads well beyond the recommended, best to have some serious-duty tires. Steel wheels are IMPERATIVE, too, alloys will *not* stand up to the abuse and cannot be easily field-repaired.

May I also suggest sending a set of factory service manuals along with the truck? They'll be worth their weight in gold over there.

Thank-you for your additions- I am actually the missionary(Ben) that they are going to help build the rig for. We actually have a way to make tax deductible donations. Someone can donate to the school by sending a check or online.

The Address is for a check is:

Le Tourneau University
Automotive Society
2100 South Mobberly Ave.
Longview, TX
75602- In the Memo line the person would need to put Auto Society FJM Project

If someone wanted to give online go to:

https://mycommunity.letu.edu/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?pid=184&srcid=211
Under the designation box, choose other, Enter Auto Society FJM project and then fill in your info.

We appreciate your thoughts on the tires- we have been looking into this. Yet we are having problems with getting some help from companies. Any ideas on who to talk to at Michelin? A set of service manuals will be a definite plus- you know anyone with an extra set?

You are right for sure, we have to usually carry very heavy loads when we do and when we go in the bush we tend to carry a lot of extra supplies that add a lot of weight.

THANKYOU for all of your thoughts- we need all the help we can get

Last edited:

If possible (donations permitting), don't send the truck with boggers, send it with heavy-duty Michelin tires. A replacement will bogger will be impossible to find in Liberia and I assume a Land Cruiser used for missionary work will see loads well beyond the recommended, best to have some serious-duty tires. Steel wheels are IMPERATIVE, too, alloys will *not* stand up to the abuse and cannot be easily field-repaired.

Yeah... We had plans of sending them with a total of 8 tires on steelies for this reason... A Bogger may not be the best choice; We were trying to find a bias ply tire with a VERY aggressive tread pattern for the very deep mud they will encounter. Do you know of a Michelin that fits those criteria?

FSM's will definitely go with the truck

Very awesome. Are you going to turbo the 2H or leave it as is? Non-turbo 2H probably better since it would all be stock.

From what we're heard, You never go fast enough to spool a turbo up; to boot, its just one more thing to get plugged up with mud, etc =)

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom