Elliott's buildup: semi-resto 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would add all of my pictures and ask all of my questions in one thread to keep from clogging up the forums. I've been working on cars for quite a while. My first truck was an 88 Isuzu Trooper, 5 speed, 4-cyl, just a tank. I was only 16 but I started messing with it here and there.

I then got my ZJ (jeep grand cherokee for you non-jeepers :D ) and became addicted to offroading, building it up, axle swaps, 4-links, making things for it, etc. My 18 page build thread for the jeep is here.

Urban Assault Vehicle - MallCrawlin.com Forums

And some pics for good measure.

halfdoor11.jpg

bumper.jpg

UNF9.jpg

Of course, wheeling a daily driver is such a risk. Everytime I went out I was too afraid to really beat on it because it always had to get me home. I couldn't have ANY down time with the rig to fix things or fab stuff. Thus I bought my daily driver. Audi A4, turbo, good gas mileage, etc. All I've done to this car is suspension, wheels/tires, intake, timing belt, lots of little maintenance things, and 20% tint.

S5001027.jpg

S5001095.jpg

S5000905.jpg

I have since acquired a new project. This particular FJ60 comes from the western front of Colorado. I got it from a guy in Greeley a couple of weeks ago and have only gotten a few hours to really tear into it. This build won't be anything like the jeep, it will be mostly just a semi-restoration. I want everything on it to work like it did from the showroom floor. I am dividing it up into separate builds... interior, motor, suspension/drivetrain, and exterior. Right now I am just starting phase 1.

Here she is in my very limited space garage.

177.jpg

183.jpg

184.jpg

First things first, get all of the junk out. The interior was very trashed so everything is either getting super cleaned or replaced.

180.jpg

181.jpg

185.jpg

191.jpg

I spent part of today dealing with the previous owner's shady alarm system. It was a super hack job and a complete rats nest. I am tearing apart the dash for the heater core, along with checking out all the wiring, and cleaning things up. Here are some pics of the progression.

_MG_7030.jpg

_MG_7035.jpg

Ridiculous. Wires tied into the stereo, lights, EVERYWHERE.

_MG_7049.jpg

In all 4 doors there were OLD SCHOOL crossover components that stemmed from the 20 year old Kenwood tape deck and separate equailizer. None of this junk worked when I got the truck... so they are trash.

_MG_7051.jpg

_MG_7027.jpg

_MG_7028.jpg

Blower motor/assembly removed. All of the wiring cleaned up and labeled. Things are starting to look a little more sane.

_MG_7062.jpg

_MG_7050.jpg

Made a pretty big trash pile today.

_MG_7061.jpg

And found the leak from my heater core.

_MG_7054.jpg

Great progress! Good luck and have fun!

I got a full set of seats for $50. Out of an 04 Camry, brown cloth. Shouldn't take too much to adapt them to the Cruiser.

fe47_1.jpg

ecdb_1.jpg

0422_1.jpg

So I've got a couple of questions. The previous owner had a real crapfest of an alarm system. There is a wire running from the battery to 2 heavy-duty looking fuse things and then into the wiring harness going toward the alternator. Is this anything important?

_MG_7060.jpg

Also, there is a wire that goes into some of the ignition coil wiring and into a relay. Is this OEM? I can't quite figure out what it does or where it goes... Still waiting on the FSM to come in so thanks for any input!

_MG_7057.jpg

If you're talking about the red wire off the POS terminal, it goes to a fusible link, it's OEM. You need it. Keeps the car from burning up, I think.

Thing in the other pic I've never seen... (You're referring to the thing the black wire with yellow crimp goes to?)

Lucky your coolant leak looks like it's just an O ring.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably put a new fuse on that pos terminal as the current one looks like death.

Are you saying I probably don't need a new heater core? That would be great news because I don't really want to spend 300 bucks on one.

One last question... how can I remove the heater box without discharging the A/C? I really don't want to remove the A/C box. How do the lines to the heater core disconnect?

Sorry, I'm too lazy to go back and read the earlier posts, but if you've not ordered the FSM, do so. It's invaluable for working on the cruiser.

Yes, from the picture, it looks like the heater core may be leaking at the O-ring. There is a brass clip that holds the slip-fit pipes together. When you remove the box, you'll have to remove some of the hold-down clamps and remove the pipes and replace the O-rings in both upper and lower pipe. Just take the old ones to NAPA. But I'd still get the core checked. If that's all it is, you're lucky. O-rings are .50 cents

The hoses to the heater are connected to an L-shaped valve high on the firewall, on the passenger side of the wall. You can't miss it, just follow where the heater control cable comes out of the firewall. The hoses are going to be very hard to get off, just 'cuz of where they are -- BE CAREFUL NOT TO DEFORM THE SOFT BRASS VALVE when removing the hoses. You might want to just get replacement hoses and cut off the old with a razor knife.

I believe the Air Cond evaporator is separate from heater box, so you will not have to disconnect it, and lose all that precious R12, if you still have it.

Spikestrip,

Thanks alot. That was a huge help! I will definitely get the core pressure tested at a radiator shop. I ordered a Haynes manual from Advance, but I'm thinking I will probably be needing the real FSM. I'll post up the progress. Thanks again!

-E

Spikestrip,

Thanks alot. That was a huge help! I will definitely get the core pressure tested at a radiator shop. I ordered a Haynes manual from Advance, but I'm thinking I will probably be needing the real FSM. I'll post up the progress. Thanks again!

-E

Forget the Haynes manual. The FSM is what you need. Heck the FSM is what I need after a visit to see Spike's ride.

Thanks again Spike! :cheers:

Yup, Joey (NLXTACY) is right. Haynes, though better than nothing, (usually) is Courtney Love to the Pam Anderson FSM :D:D Maybe that's two Pam Andersons...

Thanks, Joey. I've got my eyes open looking for one for you and parts to get your idle-up working! It's so cold today, I can't even thread bolts my fingers are numb... I know, I know, I'm a So. Cal. weenie-boy when it comes to real cold. ;p;p

Alf

And just so you know what the FSM looks like: :cheers:
180px-Pamela-Anderson-040929.jpg

Last edited:
SpikeStrip... I don't quite understand the Pam Anderson reference. Maybe some more pics would help. :lol:

I got the heater core out today with the above advice. I really think they designed the rest of the car around the friggin heater core. So I'm going to get both of them pressure tested at a radiator shop (the PO included a spare core), throw some new O-rings on the pipes and then start reassembling the dash.

_MG_7073.jpg

Dirty mofo.

_MG_7072.jpg

_MG_7075.jpg

All cleaned up.

_MG_7076.jpg

Blower motor/assembly cleaned up.

_MG_7067.jpg

And I also got around to tearing apart the guage cluster. I think my tach should start working now, along with the LED's that weren't working.

_MG_7066.jpg

_MG_7068.jpg

_MG_7070.jpg

I'm picking up new stuff tomorrow. Thankfully these holidays have given me some hours to work on the rig... I assure you I am not typically this productive. Thanks for looking! :)

Geeezus! You did all that today ? All I did was get my new Urban Land Cruisers Battery cable installed and I bit*ched about that!

Good work!

That foam crap around the core, if it's falling apart, you can use some self-adhesive stuff from Vato-zone as a replacement.

Only one Pam Anderson picture for you! More than one and you wouldn't get any work done... ( Well, at least for 5 mins or so... :p :smokin: )

So I got the heater core pressure tested and it was good to go. Threw a couple of new o-rings on the pipes, and started reassembling everything. I REALLY hope this thing doesn't leak, I NEVER want to mess with the heater core again.

I also threw down a couple layers of insulation in the back. I used similar stuff in the ZJ and really liked it. I got a new roll of carpet pad too, its much denser than the stock stuff so it will be nice and quiet inside.

All cleaned up

_MG_7083.jpg

Thrown down.

_MG_7084.jpg

It's starting to look like a truck again!

_MG_7089.jpg

Wow!

You work FAST :eek:

Great job...

You picked the right color! I never had a brown vehicle before my (wife's) '83 FJ60, & now we have 2 (my 60's an '84).

BTW is that the stock FMIC on the 1.8T? Looks bigger than the one on my '93 S4 with the 2.2 I5.

Are you talking about my condensor? You can see the intercooler peeking out on my lower drivers side. Its just the stock unit but it works fine.

It's been a few weeks since I've updated this. I've been really busy with a new job and shoving in a 70 day snowboarding season but I finally got to mess with the 60 again today.

I've cut the rust out of the wheel wells. They are going to be patched up (probably with rivets) along with some rust bullet. I'm not too worried about its aesthetics as it will be covered up by carpet anyway.

A couple pics of the rust.

_MG_7091.jpg

_MG_7092.jpg

And no more... that I can see.

_MG_7094.jpg

_MG_7095.jpg

_MG_7097.jpg

Then I finished laying down some insulation. I know its no dynamat but I used it on my jeep and got really good results for a fraction of the price. I used 3 rolls to cover the entire floor twice. When I get to fixing the headliner I will probably insulate the roof as well.

_MG_7296.jpg

_MG_7294.jpg

I ran all new speaker wires to the doors and will probably end up making a new harness to accomodate a CD player that was made sometime in my lifetime. So now the duct work for the HVAC, all the miscellaneous interior pieces, and everything is starting to come back together. Quite a tedious process.

_MG_7297.jpg

_MG_7298.jpg

I'll post more as progress is made. Thanks for reading!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom