So I'm replacing the rear shocks on my FJ62 and found something. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
Threads
What is it? I have never seen one before. Somehow it looks like it connects the the brakes.

The lower rod connects to the rear axle.
DSCF4665.JPG
DSCF4670.JPG
DSCF4669.JPG

its a load sensing proportion valve.... More weight in rear=more brake pressure in the rear

What is it? I have never seen one before. Somehow it looks like it connects the the brakes.

The lower rod connects to the rear axle.

LSPV

Load Sensing Proportioning Valve

(for the brakes) 62s and 80s have them.

Be extremely careful with it,dont open it up. Mike

Are you going to do a write-up on the shock replacement? Looks like you have an innovative technique.

Not sure it would be worth putting on your 60. I think the jury is split on whether the LSPV is liked or not. If you have a lift, you have to adjust for it and such. I don't mind mine (especially since I added a spacer to account for the lift).

i dont see why not i mean if your willing theres allways a way but ive never driven a 60 but in my 62 i can feel a difference wen pullin a heavy trailer

WOW. The LSPV looks even more difficult than the heater core. Another project I'll have to postpone.

Excellent post! There is a lot about my 62 that I am not aware of and this forum is a daily learning experience! I have hauled some heavy loads of wood and wondered if there was some mechanism to compensate for the load since I didn't need to press the brakes any harder than normal. Now I know...

...and the 62 continues to prove its supremecy over the 60.:clap:

...and the 62 continues to prove its supremecy over the 60.:clap:

I agree the 62 has some desirable features with regards to 60s, but in my opinion the LSPV is not one of them. Every truck with an LSPV has brakes that feel a tiny bit mushy. It's subtle, but it's there, and I prefer the feel of the brakes in my 60 to those in my 62.

To me the ideal 6x series truck would have a 2FE, an H55f and a manually shifted transfer, on an FJ62 frame with FJ62 suspension. I may eventually get to that once my son is done with the 62.

2F has a stronger/higher revving bottom end and a longer stroke. You get a larger displacement engine with the best of the 2F and the 3FE.

IF the LSPV is anything like those found on the Mini trucks (& I would expect so) there is a second brake tube that is part of the front brake circuit that runs back to the LSPV. So it isn't a simple "interrupt the rear brake plumbing and insert it" kind of deal. Not bad, but not that simple either.

FWIW the LSPV on my mini is set to full pressure all of the time. This with only 33's and sometimes a fiberglass bed shell. I wouldn't bother unless you have a very specific need and it's the best solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom