REVIEW of Mark's Off Road Carb & Install HOW TO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
For those of you who have followed my exploits concerning this White She-Devil, welcome back. This time its not all bad news.

Read the review here.

I have been driving the 60 around ever since I got the truck back from Georg at Valley Hybrids. He admitted to me right then and there that he isn't a carb guy but he got it close with what's there. I guess he's some kind of EFI guru, who knows :p

During my travels and normal everyday driving I noticed a few quirks:
• Strong gas smell on start up
• Very low idle ~500RPM
• Initial start up truck would run ok. Every other start up after warm would be rough.
• There was always a flat spot at hi speeds (45-60)
• The truck would frequently stall
• The truck was averaging 11MPG
• The carb would cut out when excelerating
• The truck would often lurch
• etc etc

Now I've been reading up on where to get the carb rebuilt and how to do it. When it came to carb rebuilds there were only two choices, JIMC and Mark's Off Road. Both are carb gods for whatever reason. I contacted JIMC, he gave me instructions and gave me a price, $295. He said lead time could be around 4 weeks. Long time. I finally asked Mark and his lead time was about 4 days...and he's local to me.

So I posted on some threads concerning carb rebuilds and I got about a dozen or so PMs about why I should or should not use JIMC and then same for Mark. Well great, why no consensus!??!?!

I decided to go with Mark. Mainly because he is just so close to me and I knew if there was an issue I could drag the truck right to him if need be. Now prior to this I had no allegiance either way. I just wanted it done right and the thought of waiting a few weeks didn't play well into my immediate gratification issues.

I had obtained a core carb from Georg so I decided to shoot that over to Mark to have him rebuild it instead of waiting for mine to be rebuilt. That way my total downtime was only a few hours.

I dropped it off, 4 days later I had the rebuilt carb. Mark went into a lot of detail about the carb and the install and I should have paid better attention :p

It sat for a few days until I was ready. Today was the day.

Now I couldn't find a tutorial about removing and replacing the carb, just some random bits of info spread out. So I figured i would write one for the new 60 owners out there.

The removal process:
• Take note of the vacuum hoses. Most of these follow sets of 4 or 3. Instead of marking individually which would take too long, I instead wrapped up the sets together in their order. For an 84 FJ60 there are only 3 sets of 4 vacuum tubes.
• Disconnect the electrical connector, disconnect the throttle linkage by removing the cotter pin, disconnect the choke linkage by open the throttle all the way open then pulling out the cable and pin.
• Remove the top air filter housing
• Notice how dirty our air filter is and how much oil has collected and make a "note to self" to replace the air filter and PCV valve.
carb1.jpg
carb2.jpg
carb3.jpg

Last edited:
• Remove the bottom of the air filter housing by taking off the (3) 12mm bolts that are attached to the head and valve cover
• Disconnect and label the remaining hoses
• Be careful NOT to split the two rubber hoses connecting to the front of the air cleaner
• Note to self, replace two hoses on front of air cleaner
• Disconnect the air intake hose
carb4.jpg
carb5.jpg

Taking off the carb was something that worried me. On the carb threads it mentions removing the valve cover for better access. Well I wasn't gonna do that unless I had a new gasket to replace it with.
• Note to self, replace leaking valve cover gasket
• The magic tool needed is a stubby 12mm combination wrench. this work NO problem. Within about 10 mins I had all 4 nuts off the carb and the carb pulled off....after I disconnected the fuel line with a 17mm wrench. Oh the things we forget.
carb6.jpg
carb7.jpg
carb8.jpg

Last edited:
Now we have the old carb and the newly rebuilt carb side by side. Its at this time that you have carefully inspect all the sides of both carbs to make sure you are bringing everything over that you need to. It was here that I learned how to take out the Idle Needle:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/242183-advice-needed-how-remove-screw-carb.html

Once everything is moved over then its just a matter off reversing the process back.
carb9.jpg
carb10.jpg
carb16.jpg

Last edited:
THE REVIEW OF MARK'S OFF ROAD CARB REBUILD

I have a new new truck. Its that simple.

Mark was great to work with, I dropped off the carb to him and picked it up without a hassle. Total came out to $331. I would have been better off using my original to be rebuilt instead of sending him a core. With the core he was able to totally play detective and detail every single thing that went wrong with the carb. Including how long it sat and what type of additives it used.

The carb came back to me clean as a whistle and ready to install.

After test driving it for about one hour AND NOT ADJUSTING A THING, I can honestly say this is the BEST piece of maintenance I have done to this truck so far.

• The truck now starts up WITHOUT having to repeatedly pump the gas
• The idle hovers at ~1000 RPM
• The truck glides smoothly through the gears without even a hiccup
• I do not notice any extra power per se BUT I have a feeling it was becasue I was running WAY too rich
• The truck doesn't stumble after its been warmed up
• The truck now has no flat spots when accelerating
• I no longer have the gas smell
• I now use Trojan Magnums (YMMV)

I will be checking my gas mileage over the next few days and I will report back on that as well.

I am looking for something negative to write about and so far nothing comes to mind. he gave me great ideas on the phone when I was stuck and there is nothing to complain about at all.

So from one happy customer, I can fully say I recommend him for your carb rebuild. The price was in line with his only competitor and the turn around was the clincher. He is also currently looking for a new needle valve to replace my broken and hacked one.

Thank you Mark.

http://www.marksoffroad.net/
437 N. MOSS ST.
BURBANK, CA 91502
(818) 953-9230

Last edited:
carbs = witchcraft :)

Q&A?..... I think this one is pretty good! Unless I'm missing something and there is already a how to on carb rebuild... Oh and did you change the gasket? Mine crumbled. And is there a gasket below the plastic looking thingy that the carb sits on? where it mates to the intake?...

Oh and wow Magnums huh? I think this vs a #@&*s pump is a good choice! Changing your carb ACTUALLY WORKS! Trojan Magnums.... Finally!

Q&A?..... I think this one is pretty good! Unless I'm missing something and there is already a how to on carb rebuild... Oh and did you change the gasket? Mine crumbled. And is there a gasket below the plastic looking thingy that the carb sits on? where it mates to the intake?...

Oh and wow Magnums huh? I think this vs a #@&*s pump is a good choice! Changing your carb ACTUALLY WORKS! Trojan Magnums.... Finally!

I looked and I didn't find a complete write up. And to be honest I didn't even go into the linkages because I didn't take pics of that. But the linkage stuff went back pretty easily so I didn't see much of a reason to go into too much detail.

The gasket itself was fine. Mark's rebuild does not come with a gasket so even if I wanted to change it, I'd have to hunt one down from Spectre. There is no plastic spacer. Its just carb-gasket-intake.

Yes my wife says I am "strong like bull" now :p

Last edited:
Joey, you sold me... Took mine to Mark's today. It was good to meet the Master. :)

That is the one I would have replaced if:

• Mine was junk
• Mark included it :p

carbs = witchcraft :)

EFI = witchcraft. Haven't you seen Mark's sig. He says so.

And Mark is a Warlock!

:meh: Mark's OK, I guess (j/k Mark). At least he doesn't have CDan's shaman powers. And even if he did ... I went EFI before he could vex my carb. Sorry about that Mark. (or not :grinpimp:).

I've heard Mark rebuilds them while naked.Something about being "one" with the carb.

I can tell you he doesn't take a break on vacation. I crossed paths with him a year ago in Canyonlands. He brought carbs to rebuild while out there. Or at least that's what he told me.:hmm:

That is the one I would have replaced if:

• Mine was junk
• Mark included it :p

You're lucky! I had to pay $8 for mine when I was there...:frown:

I even ended up not using it...Gas-A-Lot....if you want it(and I can find it)PM me your address and I'll send it to you....FREE! :cheers:

10-4! Thanks a lot... Oh and one more ... the plate that mounts on the intake was seperated when I pulled the carb... It was picked up only about an 8th of an inch... But was never removed... Should I worry? Or don't worry bout that one... I should seal pretty good when I tighten the carb eh? I hope I'm not confusing any one....

10-4! Thanks a lot... Oh and one more ... the plate that mounts on the intake was seperated when I pulled the carb... It was picked up only about an 8th of an inch... But was never removed... Should I worry? Or don't worry bout that one... I should seal pretty good when I tighten the carb eh? I hope I'm not confusing any one....

Personally I think you are fine. But if I had the gaskets I would have changed mine.

Ok so let me give you guys who are considering getting your carb rebuilt by ANYONE...

BEFORE putting the carb back. Replace ALL rubber fuel lines and I mean all. Its easy and only takes about 30 mins to do. Then using compressed air, while the rubber hoses are off, shoot some air through the metal lines. And finally REPLACE your fuel filter...even if its a week old!!!

After putting on my new rebuild and FINALLY getting some time to get it running again after my smog pump took a crap, the truck started smoking black smoke...bad. After taking it off again and getting to Mark, he ripped it open and found that tiny pieces of the inside lining of my old decrepid fuel lines had started to gel up and peel away. Thus clogging the idle circuit completely.

All is good now and runs fine!!

Thanks for the write up. I am looking to do the same and have recently acquired a core carburetor. I will look Mark up on your recommendation. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom