Help replacing tie rod ends. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, newbie to replacing the tie rod ends. I got some new ones and it doesn't look to difficult. I just need to know some basics first.

1) should i jack the truck up to do it?

2) is a tie rod puller tool required for this?

3) the pitman arm end appears to be the real problem. should i replace all of them, or just this one?

4) any other basics to this procedure would be greatly appreciated!!

Jacking it up (with jack stands) is probably your best bet. With the wheels off, you will have better access - allowing you to move the steering back and forth as necessary.

Some guys/gals use a pickle fork; I like using an OTC tie rod puller, and it only takes a few seconds to get them off - instead of beating the pickle fork with a hammer. The OTC looks like this:click here

I would vote for replacing all of them and starting fresh with a tight front end.

Before you start, soak/spray the ends with PB blaster or something similar (spray also into the rod slits located on the ends of the center rods). Mine were @#*+ing frozen and it took a vice and a big pipe wretch to free the ends from the rods. By the way, You can buy the kit with new rods and save the hassle, if you have the extra change.

Before you take each tie rod end off - count the visible threads and screw the new ones in the same amount - this will get you close to where you were. On the new ends, put some grease on the threads before screwing them in, it will help keep the rust from freezing them again.

After that search "alignment" and read the various tips on doing it yourself.

That's my .02 cents :)

To answer your questions:

1) should i jack the truck up to do it? Yes, you won't be working off your back if you jack it up.

2) is a tie rod puller tool required for this? Not required, but certainly helps a lot.

3) the pitman arm end appears to be the real problem. should i replace all of them, or just this one? I'd just replace the one myself if the others felt tight, but others would do some PM and do them all. I guess you might as well, since you're under there and it will go faster after you get the first one done.

4) any other basics to this procedure would be greatly appreciated!! See below.

Here's what I'd do:

1) Jack up the truck and support the front axle on jackstands.
2) Remove the front tires.
3) Remove the cotter pin and castle nut from the sloppy TRE.
4) Use a puller to get the TRE out of the steering arm. Tighten puller, hit with BFH, tighten puller, hit with BFH, repeat until it falls out.
5) Loosen jamb nut and install new TRE. A pipe wrench may be of assistance here.
6) Reverse order from 3-1

Now, IF you're just messing with your draglink, you won't have to reset the caster angle. If you mess with your TR, you will. AIRTOOLS ARE YOUR FRIENDS!!!!! Hope that helps. :cheers:

One more thing (providing you haven’t already purchased the ends):

Make sure to get Toyota OEM parts or 555 parts such as the ones that Cruiser outfitters sell. click here to see

Thanks guys. Appreciate everything!!

Yeah x2 on the other guys advice.

I had the privilege to beat on the tie rods with a pickle fork. Get a tie rod tool

DO NOT Jack the truck up. IF you do it with the tires on the ground you wont have to realign the truck after your are done. It may be a little harder access but its not that hard. Also take a look man-a-free site for the 4+ heavy duty tierod and relay rod. They are twice the size of the factory rods and take one hell of a beating.

Also take a look man-a-free site for the 4+ heavy duty tierod and relay rod. They are twice the size of the factory rods and take one hell of a beating.

Great tip.. Appreciate that :grinpimp:

DO NOT Jack the truck up. IF you do it with the tires on the ground you wont have to realign the truck after your are done. It may be a little harder access but its not that hard. Also take a look man-a-free site for the 4+ heavy duty tierod and relay rod. They are twice the size of the factory rods and take one hell of a beating.

Not meaning to high jack:whoops: but on the 4+ rods do they hook up like the OEM rods or do you need new steering arms with a double hole on the passenger side. Could not tell from the web site, and as you appear to have a set. hum? pRETTY pLEASE?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom