My Desmog Thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I know that there has been a lot of interest in this subject lately, from a lot of people just like me. They want to desmog for various reasons, but their apprehensive to get started.

Before I get started. It's illegal. You shouldn't do it. Some argue that it is bad for the environment. Others say it really isn't. If you read this forum you already know the pros and cons. I don't expect a big boost in gas mileage or horsepower. What I do expect is some real estate in the engine compartment, and not having to replace some ridiculously expensive parts.

I am posting all of this information on here for two reasons. 1) To help anyone else that wants to do it. 2) So that y'all can tell me when I screw up and do something stupid.

I will try to post pics as I go along, but I've already started and I haven't taken any as most of my work has been done after work and it gets dark offly early this time of year (damn daylight savings)

This will be a slow process as most of my freetime is occupied by things other than my cruiser (I know, I know)

Step 1: Devaned my smog pump. This is what prompted me to get started, I broke a vane and seized it up. I have heard horror stories about the smog pump, and getting it out. It really wasn't that bad. But you do have to remove the PS pump and disconnect a bunch of hoses to get there. Most of them you won't put back but you might want to take a picture first just in case. Why did I do this? It was a cheap alternative to buying a pulley, I understand that Jim C. makes these pulleys and it would probably free up some more space, but that's money. So I have a 15lbs pulley. Once you have the smog pump out it come apart easy enough. Then I just pulled the vanes out. The pulley itself spins freely thanks to a little grease.

Step 2: You need to block off the the hose connections on the air filter housing. I'm trying to find the right size cap to go over them. If anybody know it, let me know. For right now, I went real redneck and put duct tape over it to keep from getting debris places it shouldn't be.

Step 3: Disable your EGR: I'm not completely done with this step yet. So far I have removed the EGR Vacuum modulator (I think that is what it is called) and capped the vacuum ports on the EGR itself. I will eventually remove all of the EGR. I read somewhere that you can use an Expansion something or other to fill the hole. If anybody know exactly what size let me know. I know what they are and where to find them, but I want the part in hand when I pull everything out.

That is everything I've done so far. I will continue to work on it, but I have to get back and forth to work every day too. So be patient with me. And I'll try to get this whole thing done. If you have any helpful advice please chime in. If you want to tell me I'm stupid for desmogging my rig, don't bother, I already agree with you, and don't need to hear it again.

Wow, that was long...

Well since I finally got my 60 registered in Oregon, looks like this thread will come in handy! Thanks for taking the plunge!
:beer:

I will be doing this right along with you my friend. I have pulled the egr, the air rail, and all the hoses to the pump. Now I just need to pull the air pump and take out the vanes and I will be right there with you. Maybe I can get that done tomorrow night :)

oooo this might come in handy.

i am also looking for some real estate :D

Great Dirty Toad, I'm going to try and get my air rail pulled tomorrow. Then we'll be tied. What did you use to block the air rail (hex head bolts?) How about the EGR?

Good Job Guys!

Ok, so it ran great last night, idled smoother than ever. But....it wouldn't start this morning. So there are a couple of possibilities

1) I screwed something up last night (quite possible really, the hazards of doing your work at night)

2) It's out of gas. (Also a definite possibility. I was going to stop for gas when I realized my smog pump was seizing and coasted it home instead)

I'll update you all on it later tonight.

So I guess the carb needs to be adjusted as well? How do you go about doing that then? Or should you just get it rebuilt?
Sorry if i hijacked.

yea some slight adjustment of the carb and timing will do you some good once its all done.

I did mine, very poorly I might add, last december. A friend who was helping me do a motor swap yanked off every vacuum hose. He also, without asking, cut off all the a/c parts, which worked great. I would have salvaged them at least... oh well, he was a great help otherwise.

I learned, in a bad way, that not all vacuum hoses are bad. Particularly the High Altitude, Deceleration fuel cut, and (if A/C) the A/C idle up systems. I have sinced hooked up all but the a/c, dont need it with no system. My carb was in such bad shape that it still backfired a bit, but i could actually decelerate without sounding like a shotgun and shooting flame out the exhaust... yeah!:grinpimp:

Also Jim C. said to disconnect the main Vacuum advance and connect the secondary as per his desmog diagram.

Dynosaur on mud helped me with a discontinued vacuum switch, real cheap too. Jim Chenoweth is doing a performance rebuild on a carb for me, and today I am going to go over the fsm diagram and the desmog diagram by Jim c. and make sure I got it right. Also gonna do a valve adjustment, timing, dwell, etc...

Now I just need to find the Jim C. Desmog Vacuum diagram, I think I have seen an enlarged version of it somewhere... I forget:doh:

Now I just need to find the Jim C. Desmog Vacuum diagram, I think I have seen an enlarged version of it somewhere... I forget:doh:

I have this one. Not sure if it what you are looking for.
jimc-approved.jpg

Do I need to have that thing connected at all? Not the smartest guy in the world, but I think it creats vaccum for the PCV. Is that why I need it? I was told by one person that I could just put a mini filter over the top of the PCV and call it a day.

fowldarr- I have yet to plug the air rail holes. The whole thing is one huge mess right now. I am still trying to gut the air pump.

In fact, I need some help. I got the veins out but what about that big ass cylinder in there? How do I get that out? I took off the pulley to see if could get it from there, but no beans. The bearing is shot to s***, or that cylider is messing it up, not sure witch. So if I could get that cylinder out I would know for sure. Any tips would be great.

I want to do this as soon as it warms up. It just seems a little overwhelming I'm afraid I'd screw something up and have it run horribly. It runs pretty good now, but I heard a desmog gets you more power, is this true?

I want to do this as soon as it warms up. It just seems a little overwhelming I'm afraid I'd screw something up and have it run horribly. It runs pretty good now, but I heard a desmog gets you more power, is this true?

Yes it will give you more power...on a dyno test. But not enough to notice in the seat of you pants. Well, let me say this firts. If you have a vehicle with all the parts working on the smog system, then you will more than likely not notice the increase in power. If you are like me with a smog system that is all f'd up, then you will notice a difference.

I am doing it because I am too cheap to fix all the things that are broken in the smog system. And it is not illegal here....yet :crybaby:

Do I need to have that thing connected at all? Not the smartest guy in the world, but I think it creats vaccum for the PCV. Is that why I need it? I was told by one person that I could just put a mini filter over the top of the PCV and call it a day.

No you don't need to hook it up to vacuum, you can buy an EGR block-off plate. The only difference is the gases are being vented into the atmosphere rather than being recycled back through the engine. The above trick is not difficult, I did it to keep the cruiser somewhat eco-freindly... if that is at all possible. ;)

No you don't need to hook it up to vacuum, you can buy an EGR block-off plate. The only difference is the gases are being vented into the atmosphere rather than being recycled back through the engine. The above trick is not difficult, I did it to keep the cruiser somewhat eco-freindly... if that is at all possible. ;)

Thanks for the confirmation on that :beer:

I like the idea of keeping it eco friendly as well, but right now all the leaks it has can not be friendly at all. We will just have to wait and see what I end up doing.

Thanks again.

and sorry for the hijack

That's not a hijack.

As far as devaning the smog pump, that is all I had to do to mine, the bearings were not seized just a broken vane, so I left the cylinder in place, spins freely, So I didn't worry about it. I've noticed that it whistles a little now, I might try capping the the holes where the hoses connected to see if that kills the whistle, or at least muffles it. I will be taking some pics tonight. I slowed things down because I needed to clean out the garage and make some room out of the cold. Let's face it, It's not going to get any warmer for a while.

What I've noticed so far.
An increase in responsiveness. I don't know if it has more power, but it is more responsive. I can accelerate up small inclines (this used to be an issue). If you are looking to do it to free up horsepower...don't. If, like me and Dirty Toad (and Dirty Toadette now), your smog system is all f'd up and you don't have to go through emmissions, then it is a viable solution.

What I have left to do. I need to find the allen head bolts for the air rail. I read that Jim C. had them available, I pm'd him but have not heard back. JIM ARE YOU OUT THERE?? I know he is a very busy man, doing quality cruiser work, so I have not pushed the subject.

I also need to by the replacement piece for my catalytic converter, I will weld it in myself (I think).

Then, I will replace all remaining vacuum hoses

Then, save up enough scrap to send the dizzy and carb to Jim C. For rebuild and recurve. (That will be after Christmas, and maybe after tax returns).

I will take pics tonight, and try to get them posted. It really has freed up quite a bit of real estate, just don't know what I'm going to use it for yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom