Upper Steering U-Joint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my upper steering u-joint thru cruisder dan. I need help getting the old one off. I've taken out the bolt that holds the joint halves together, taken all four "hognose" clips out, i've pushed the steering shaft as far towards the front of the truck as possible but still can't get the damn joint apart. Halves are loose, I've soaked everything in penetrant. I even went thru the inside of the cab to see if anything is holding me back. The shaft spline just will not completely come out of the upper joint! Any ideas?

I replaced all the joints in my steering. I ended up pulling the steering column. I have some pictures I can post up tonight. Might be able to do it without pulling the column but is was quick to pull it.

If you can loosen #108 then you might be able to pull it straight out the of the column into the engine bay.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat098c.tam?xax=10665

I couldn't imagine trying to replace the joint or take it out with the shafts in place. I broke the first joint installing it with the column out of cruiser. It is a pain to get them out and then install the new ones.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=43602

I replaced all the joints in my steering. I ended up pulling the steering column. I have some pictures I can post up tonight. Might be able to do it without pulling the column but is was quick to pull it.

If you can loosen #108 then you might be able to pull it straight out the of the column into the engine bay.

http://www.sor.com/sor/cat098c.tam?xax=10665

I couldn't imagine trying to replace the joint or take it out with the shafts in place. I broke the first joint installing it with the column out of cruiser. It is a pain to get them out and then install the new ones.

yes, #108 is completely been removed from the u-joint. i can push the spline shaft pretty much out of the u-joint except the last 1/4". The spline shaft just will not push out of the way enough to pull the joint off.

yes, #108 is completely been removed from the u-joint. i can push the spline shaft pretty much out of the u-joint except the last 1/4". The spline shaft just will not push out of the way enough to pull the joint off.

There is a bearing sandwiched between two plastic pieces. You have to push hard to get the bearing out of the column.

The plastic pieces is #37. Looking at the picture you might not be able to push it past part #23. Might be time to pull the column.

You can see the white plastic pieces and bearing in this picture.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=879088&postcount=23

not sure if i can get that plastic piece out or not. the damn brake booster is most of the problem b/c i can hardly get my hand or a tool in there. i'll take a picture and post it up tonight. thanks.

Just went through the same job. Make it easy on yourself. Unbolt the lower joint from the steering box and take the steering column and steering shaft out together as a unit to work on it. Only took 15 minutes to get the steering column and shaft assy out. Don't forget to put scribe marks where the steering shaft meets the couplers by the splines so your steering wheel stays phased. The coupler down at the steering box end can only bolt on one way, but slip joint or top coupler can slip together at the splines any which way.
While your at it you might as well replace the lower U-joint too. The U Joints are the same as ones used on a driveshaft of a 68 to 72 Corolla with the 1200CC engine. Napa part# 220-011
When pressing or hammering out the Ujoint, be sure to stick a screwdriver or someting in the gap of the splined coupler so it doesn't squeeze together.
I didn't do this and broke it in half while pressing in the new Ujoint.

Poor wording on my part. I meant to say put the screwdriver or something in the gap on the yoke. About where the bolt goes through.
Below is a picture of mine. Can't see it too well, but it's cracked and broken at the bottom of the splined hole. Not much metal there and breaks breaks easily if the gap gets pushed together.
aaasteering2.jpg

wow, the Cruiser Gods have spoken! thanks, here's a picture of what i have so far. i'll go ahead and unbolt the lower joint and pull the entire shaft out. thanks.

nevermind, couldn't get the pic to load. thanks.:beer:

Last edited:
Just went through the same job. Make it easy on yourself. Unbolt the lower joint from the steering box and take the steering column and steering shaft out together as a unit to work on it. Only took 15 minutes to get the steering column and shaft assy out. Don't forget to put scribe marks where the steering shaft meets the couplers by the splines so your steering wheel stays phased. The coupler down at the steering box end can only bolt on one way, but slip joint or top coupler can slip together at the splines any which way.
While your at it you might as well replace the lower U-joint too. The U Joints are the same as ones used on a driveshaft of a 68 to 72 Corolla with the 1200CC engine. Napa part# 220-011
When pressing or hammering out the Ujoint, be sure to stick a screwdriver or someting in the gap of the splined coupler so it doesn't squeeze together.
I didn't do this and broke it in half while pressing in the new Ujoint.

thanks! much easier to pull the entire steering assy out all at once. for anybody else doing this, i'd suggest to unplug all wiring harnesses before removing the bolts that hold the steering column in place. There are 3 plugs total that need to be disconnected. Two are right under the steering column, the other is a separate set of wires slightly behind this mess. Also, I didn't mark my orientation correctly so I'm going to have to figure out the best way to realign my steering wheel once its all done. Any ideas?
FJ60 steering shaft.jpg

Also, I called Napa and gave them #220-011 which according to them was some sort of fuel pressure regulator. I told them I needed an axle u-joint for a 72 Corolla and they gave me part #220-00013 for $19.69 in stock!

Also, I called Napa and gave them #220-011 which according to them was some sort of fuel pressure regulator. I told them I needed an axle u-joint for a 72 Corolla and they gave me part #220-00013 for $19.69 in stock!

Well, Napa just wasted 45 minutes of my day. The #220-00013 is the u-joint for the larger engine size carrolla. The 1st number was sort of correct, Napa's computer says #220-00011 is the u-joint for the upper & lower steering shaft on the FJ60. Of course, it wasn't in stock and I have to wait another day.:doh:

i had a local driveline shop replace both upper & lower u-joints for $45. i thought a good deal. would anybody like to see pics of the removal/installation of this job? i'd be happy to snap photos as i go.

Yes!! I've been following this thread closely. I changed my tie rod ends and didn't feel that much of a difference in steering so I forsee pulling the steering column and doing the u-joints as well as shipping the steering box to WTO for a rebuild. The more information I have before I start the better. Thanks for the wealth of information you (and others) have provided so far, it is very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom