how do I wire a SBC alt.? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have an alt on my SBC that has a plug with a red and black wire, one big white wire and i think another black wire.

so its:

2 black and red wires (smaller)
1 solo white wire
and i think another black wire

I wanted to get a single wire self exciting alt. but don't have the money right now.

i need to know where they go to and what there for and i'm not looking on how to hook them up to the original system, i'm going to run new wires.

OK.

Go here and find out what kind of alternator you have and then we can talk.

www.alternatorparts.com

You have 2 more wires than any GM alternator I am familiar with.

What are the terminal labels cast in to the alternator housing?

GM alt wiring

I just finished the same mod to my 71 PIG. I used a 70 or 75A Delco / Remy, it had the 2-wire plug and a lug for a wire. The lug goes straight to the battery. The 2-wire "plug", well thats what I had to research.

Try these links www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml , or www.oldengine.org/unfaq/10si.htm. The later may answer more questions.

I bypassed the toyota reg and went with the internal reg on the Delco unit.
I jumped a wire from the batt lug to the #2 terminal on the alt. The #1 terminal is the one that goes to the idiot light in the dash (unless running the AMP guage system).

The next thing I want to do is to change the pulley size on the alt to get it to excite sooner. Currently, my alt will not start charging until almost 1800 RPM.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

yota,

that info @ oldengine was great. sollved my problem. tnx, jim

p.s. it should be in the faq section. simple and to the point.

I just finished the same mod to my 71 PIG. I used a 70 or 75A Delco / Remy, it had the 2-wire plug and a lug for a wire. The lug goes straight to the battery. The 2-wire "plug", well thats what I had to research.

Try these links www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml , or www.oldengine.org/unfaq/10si.htm. The later may answer more questions.

I bypassed the toyota reg and went with the internal reg on the Delco unit.
I jumped a wire from the batt lug to the #2 terminal on the alt. The #1 terminal is the one that goes to the idiot light in the dash (unless running the AMP guage system).

The next thing I want to do is to change the pulley size on the alt to get it to excite sooner. Currently, my alt will not start charging until almost 1800 RPM.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

That guy has a ton of info, and almost posted the same link.

Did you check the 94 amp alternator available for the 84-ish Camaro Z28 with a/c? Stock 12si, can't beat that.

12SI, 94 amp, at 3:00 (AC-DELCO # 321-266, Lester #7294-3)
Tell the auto parts counter person that “The alternator is for a 1984 High performance Chevy Camaro, with 5.0L (305G) engine, 94amp alternator

12SI, 94 amp, at 9:00 (AC-DELCO # 321-269, Lester #7294-9)
Tell the auto parts counter person that “The alternator is for a 1985 Buick

THe clock positions only require backing out the 4 bolts and rotating.

Fuzzy, i was going to link the same thread too. I finally got mine running. Got new alternator for 84 Camaro 305 V8, 5.0L from Autozone for $45.99. This one is rated 63 Amp. You could get a 68 Corvette for $29.00 or so but it's rated 60 Amp. It should work. I had to turn the back cover 90 degree because the battery lug is really close to the valve cover. Don't want to add another cylinder on the outside :doh: :doh: . Let me know if you need more info.:cheers: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom