Ultimate SUA Suspension?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First I would like to be sure to let everyone know that I have extensively searched these subjects including the FAQs. Hours of good reading but with few questions answered…

My FJ40 currently sits on a 2.5 inch lift springs with 33x10.50 x15 BFG MTs. I should have listened to friends who said that 4 inch lift springs and 35s would be on my wish list within a year. I would like to list a few mods that could be combined to provide the Ultimate SUA Suspension. SOA is currently not an option. The intended use of this FJ40 is a general all-around rig. It will see a good deal of street use, non-paved roads, mud, and one to two TLCA Events per year usually crawling rocks. My goals are good articulation, maximizing ground clearance, and a reasonably comfortable ride. If you have direct experience with any of the below listed mods, please chime in with your ideas, opinions and pictures if possible. Thanks in advance.

The starting point is a 6/77 FJ40 with 4 inch lift leaf springs running 35x12.50x15 mud tires. Please assume the brand of 4 inch lift springs or tires are not up for debate. I am willing to trim the rear fenders, but prefer to keep the fronts uncut.

1) SHACKLES/ANGLE – Considering +1.5” for additional fender clearance and spring flex. +2.5” in the rear to level if necessary. Greaseable hardware will be used. What vendor has the best prices? What mods are recommended to correct shackle angle if necessary. Mud posts and web sites I have seen recommend 4 degree shims for +1.5 to +2 inch shackles and 6 degree shims for +2.5 inch shackles for caster correction. Any need to shim the rear axle to improve the driveshaft angle? Other than removing/relocating the shackle hangers, can anything be done to improve shackle angle?

2) SHOCK MOUNTING LOCATIONS – Longer shocks equate to longer travel if done correctly – right? Extended front mounts are available via F250 towers. Where is the optimal front lower shock mount? Assuming stock lower mount, what shock are you running with F250 towers? Rear lower mounts range from the U-bolt plate to the axle housing. What’s best? Rear upper mounts on the crossmember result in an angled but longer shock. Is there a better place? What is a good shock on a tight budget?

3) U-BOLT FLIP KIT – Opinions? With 4 inches of lift on 35s a little extra clearance would be nice. Other than Man-A-Fre, who makes a kit? What are the opinions on rear lower shock mounts with this kit? Do these kits require a shorter shock?

4) FLIPPED REAR SPRINGS – Adding 3.5 to 4 inch wheelbase for better on-road handling and off-road departure angle? Other benefits or drawbacks? It also has the added benefit of centering the wheel in the rear which I think looks better. I do realize that the rear fenders will need to be cut. Do any flares fit after the flip? TJ flares? Pics?? What should a re-tube to lengthen my existing driveshaft cost? I was quoted $150 locally and thought that was high. Any OEM shaft bolt right up? Other than drilling and welding new upper shock mounts to the rear of the crossmember, are there other shock mounting options? Can I swap and spin spring plates side to side and mount the shocks in front of the rear axle using stock upper shock mounts?

5) What am I forgetting? Please don’t say skip all that and go SOA!

Thanks very much for the shared knowledge on MUD.

wider tires - more wander (or is it wonder? ;)) on the road........

ill try my best to answer some of the questions,

First thing being, that a poperly done SOA :)whoops: i had to) can ride great on the road, and near perfect with swaybars etc.. my truck rides great, and i cruised out to Moab with no issues last year..

Treeroot has a dam Flexy SUA, so consult him if he dosent see this thread..

shocks only limit travel, they can not by themselfs increase it.

Shackle angle should be about 45 degrees or maybe a bit less..

Rather than flipping the rear springs, why not put in some longer ones to help out with the flex.. Great Mod, im now at 100" WheelBase, should be great on the trail!

isotel & all,

If I were to spec longer springs for better shackle angle and more flex, how much longer would you go? Is 2 or 3 inches longer too long? Will I loose lift with longer springs or would they be arched more to compensate?

Thanks

Custom spring makers like Alcan Spring can shape their springs with the shackle length in mind to keep castor and pinion angles at oem specs. This eliminates the need for shims. Shims and off-the-shelf springs are MUCH less expensive. Just not the best solution.

Advanced Handling used to make u-bolt plates that located the end of u-bolts to the side of the spring packs but not below the spring. Increases under spring clearance. The basic design can be fabbed, obviously.

Anyone have any experience or a link to the Advanced Handling kit mentioned by 4x4Poet? Thanks

there are other U-bolt flip kits out there.............

And the names of the other U-Bolt Flip Kit vendors are......

I can't get any flex out of my SUA :crybaby:
IMG_5318.JPG
IMG_5395.JPG
IMG_5399.JPG

ok.....

37x12.5 MTRs with Allied bead locks
The rear tub has been clearanced to the inner fender.
Metal-tech front fenders
Both front and rear springs have been flipped
Ford shock towers up front Bilstein 12" model
Angled rear shocks in back 12" Bilsteins
U-bolt flip kit 4+ sold by Man-a-fre
4" SUA Northern Spring (used to be sold by TPI)
DO NOT BUY Pinnacle springs - ask just in case
Downey Cantilever shackles - yes they help but you can achieve the same thing with longer springs and a stock shackle or by moving your hangers.
New springs do not flex, you have to break them in.

My front springs are doing great, the rear is starting to sag. I plan on springing over the rear to correct that.

okey dokey.. where to start..

i have been through the same process you are investigating at the moment and heres what ive done and somethings ive learnt. the state laws here don't allow SOA and i wanted to get the most out of my SUA setup. I also do the same type of all rounder wheelin, beach, gravel, rocks, mud, and its my daily driver. i want to keep my COG low as possible so that rules out a body lift with this setup. if i wanted to run 35's id probably find longer leaves again and get them reset to 4" with longer shocks to help maintain the articulation twith the similar setup.

original setup was a bj42 with an aftermarket 2" lifted springs.

changes made:
- extended greasable anti-inversion shackles
- mixed spring pack comprising of 60+75series leaves in the rear and 75+40series leaves in the front.
- moved each end 2.5 for a 5" increase in wheelbase
- custom front/rear shafts
- using longer shocks but using original shock mounts front and rear
- custom reset of all spring leaves to give level ride and a little bit of lift (probably about 2-3" of spring lift + 2" longer shackles give 3-4" lift overall)
- no changes to standard steering setup (resulting in bent draglink and dented shocks)
- doubled all brakelines by piggybacking 2 std flex brake lines.
- rear guard chop to accomodate 33x10.5xr15 jungle trekkers
- no front guard mods
- 3+deg castor plates for the front only

things id change:
- 60series steering conversion to stop the front drivers shock rubbing on the draglink
- ford shock towers in the front and longer shocks
- change rear shock mount to allow more droop in rear
- still yet to extend bumpstops by about an inch front and rear,

the ride and results:
- daily driving is noticabily more comfortable.. you dont feel the bumps as much as before
- articulation is greatly increased and i keep my tires on the ground heaps more than before (still no lockers yet)
- when turning under compression it stresses power steering pump (box is now leaking).
- steering is fine at speed and quite pleasant with the 3* castor plates and damn scary without them.
- there is a bit of tyre rubbing on the front steering components at full lock and the front fender support when compressed. the rear rubs when its tucked up in the wheel well.

some pics:
here are the front spring packs:
DSC02630_sml.jpg

rear end with no shocks:
IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2410a.jpg

how it sat after changing front and rear leafpacks:
itsallaboutthewheelbase.jpg

when i went to get my springs reset to level the ride.. the spring place put too much lift in the springs.. this is with approx 4" overall lift.
DSC03161.JPG

heres the more conservative lift id asked for originally.. approx 2-3" lift as it sits now (maintain conservative COG)
DSC03164.JPG

and some measurements for the spring place to reset the springs to my required height. you guys might find this useful.
lift_reduction.jpg

lift_reduction_grids.gif

DSCF1986.jpg

i think the flex on the front is great!
DSCF1996_001.jpg

DSC02879.JPG

DSC03298.JPG

but the rear end is lacking:
DSC03089.JPG

DSC03304.JPG

DSC03302.JPG

all the changes made wheeling this particular spot a bit easier:
DSCF0036.JPG

DSC02733.JPG

hope all this info has helped.. im happy with the results so far and think its a good way to improving the on and off road handling and articulation of my 40. if you have any questions about my particular setup feel free to ask! :p

cheers,

Andrew

is your cruiser remote controled. every pic theres nobody in the drivers seat................... loooks good

Thanks for the responses so far.

Lets hear from more of you with first hand experience!!

Still waiting for the other vendors with U-bolt flip kits.... DSRTRDR??

Thanks

The lcadvancedhandling.com kit looks promising. I can't get any of the links to work and a google search for them was not successful. Anyone have a good link to LC Advanced Handling?

Thanks for the great links my64fj40. Good reading

77TLCFJ40 --- Are you looking for Ross Stuart of Land Cruiser Advanced Handling? If so, he closed his shop here in town and is driving dump truck. I don't know if he is doing anything on the side or not. I installed new kitchen cabinets for him this last winter. He was telling me about developing his front shackle reversal kit, but didn't say anything about u-bolt flip kits. He also showed me his 40 with a GM 6.2 deisel shoehorned into it. Sweet!

handcannon,

Please ask him if he will weld up some of his version of the U-bolt Skid Plate for a 77 FJ40. He does not even need to paint them.

Maybe others that read this thread will want a set as well????

Lets hear it... Who wants a set?

I'm in for a set of 4.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom