ROTW ROTW Trollhole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
It (the cruiser itch) started back 14 years ago when I was tired of driving my 84 s-10 blazer. I had wheeled the crap out of it and it and I knew it was time to part ways. I was driving around Greenville when I spotted this white top in the back of a old run down car lot. It was a 74 Fj40. I looked it over not knowing anything about them and swapped the guy even for mine. On the way home (2 miles) it broke down twice but I got it home and the fun began. I learned a lot on that first cruiser. I learned that looks aren't much if you cannot keep it running and running well. I as like most college students had no sense of heritage and a couple years after owning it I sold it. I put an add in the paper and the first person who called bought it. I had 50 or so people call over the next two weeks with most of their first words they would say is, "I'll buy it!". AT that point I knew I had made a mistake. I have been looking for that cruiser ever since. I always knew I would have another one. Well on to the present.

Bought the wife a Touareg. It was a lemon and something always was wrong with it. Sold it on the condition I could buy her something more reasonable and I could get my Land Cruiser. Deal. Wife now drives a Pacifica. Now the fun begins!

I started looking around for one in the paper and in the auto trader. There were a few; but nothing that caught my eye. A buddy mentioned one nearby and I looked at it the next day. It was exactly what I was looking for. That was eight months ago.

1b_1_b.jpg

They guy who had it had bought it a couple of years back. A months later he was on the front line in Iraq and when he came home he had a baby waiting for him. He made the choice to sell it. Upon getting it home I noticed a few things that were going to need my attention. The bearing and seals on the transfer case were shot. The rear main oil seal gushed oil. There was no exhaust. Knuckles bearings were shot and it ran really rough.

First was to get the oil leaks and transfer case fixed. So I yanked the trans. Replacing the rear main oil seal. I figured while I was in there I would go ahead and do the clutch, clutch master, and clucth slave which were starting to leak.
What a fiasco that was.

To be continued.

Last edited:
Now having most of my drive train fixed or so I thought I took it out for a spin only to find my rear driveshaft was shot. Previous owner had not had it lenghtened when he did the SOA.
IMG_2806.JPG

So I had a new one fabed up. No problems now.

The PO had done the SOA when I bought the vehicle and though it was a good attempt he had left out a few things that were in need of attention. The front axle needed to be cut and turned and the rear axle needed to have an anti wrap bar added. These are my write-ups on my builds.

Cut & Turn https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=54253

Anti Wrap https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=58015

Next was the electrical and I replaced the stock Alt with a GM that had been boosted to 90amps. I found it worked well but my small single battery was not handling the task of the 8274-50 winch. So I built a dual battery cage for two optimas I picked up dirt cheep. And wired in a battery isolator.

IMG_4636.jpg

Dual Battey write up. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=62263

I had gone on an outing with my local club (upstate cruisers) to Tellico and one of the members had a shower hooked up to his vehicle. I though I could improve on the idea.

This is what I came up with and it works really well.

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

Cruiser Shower writeup. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=762652#post762652

Now on to the poser pics and goodies.

Last edited:
It's a 76 Fj40
IMG_4858.jpg

SOA With Hyper Shackles in the rear.
Cut and turned front housing
4 wheel disk brakes all around (stock front and Monte Carlo on the rears)
Stainless steel brake lines up front.
Aqula Arm on front
greasable shackle pins front and rear
Webber 38 carb
Aussie Locker in the rear
custom front & rear bumpers
8274-50 Warn winch
GM 90 Amp Alternator
IMG_4848.jpg

Custom sliders
Custom roll cage tied into the stock cage.

Lighting underneath (for night wheeling) With switches mounted overhead in roll cage
IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

Anti wrap bar
IMG_4876.jpg

Custom ghetto exhaust (By me)
Custom floor mats (By me)
Recovered seats (custom stiched by me)
IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4882.jpg

Dual Optimas in custom battery tray with isolator
Rebuilt Transfer case with Transfer case saver
Onboard hot water
Lowrance GPS
K-line soft top
Roof rack
Rino lined tub
American Racing wheels
A/T tires 33 x 12.50
Stock gearing throughout

Mods comming
Onboard air
Arb lockers front and rear
Longfields
35" tires
3fe head and fuel injection swap (have the parts but no time)
And last but not least a frame off paint job. To make it look good.

Other than that I can say every hose, seal and gasket has been replaced as well as all this work done by myself in the 8 months I have owned the vehicle.

Poser pics.

IMG_4858.jpg

IMG_4859.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

Last edited:
more

IMG_4842.jpg

CopyofIMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4860.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

And my garage that I need to clean again!

IMG_4885.jpg

If you want more pics just click on my link in my signature. There is tons of stuff.

Thank You IH8MUD for one hell of a site and Thanks Upstate cruisers for keeping me going and giving me my mojo back. :D

Hey man- Nice cruiser! I have a stock FJ40 that I had on Ocracoke for a 2 week vacation with my family this summer- I was on the harbor in a cottage- I was psyched when I saw the ferry picture. I hope to be doing many mods to mine in the near future with trhe help of you all. :)

How do you find anything in that garage? Good story. I can relate.

It usually doesn't start that way. I go through spirts where it's super clean. But then I get working on the cruiser and crap starts flying. I pick rainy days to clean up and leave the nice ones for the cruiser.

This is one of the reasons I'm buying 4 acres out in the country. I plan on having a metal building near my house. :D

when i first saw your cruiser in that post about driving to the cost, I loved it. Anyways thats a sweet cruiser, glad you found one. Don't sell it ;)

Nice bandsaw! I want one...

OH and nice Cruiser too ;p I'm glad I have one. That's some nice clean work :cool:

HawkDriver said:
Decide you like the TRD?

Not really but those damn stickers are on there and I've had no success getting them off with a chemical that won't eat the aluminum or heat. A razor blade on aluminum diamond plate doesn't work well. Plus I'm really not going for looks right now. Realiability and functionality take first priority.

Is that the Swan Quarter ferry out of Ocracoke? This summer was the first time we didn't go to the Outer Banks.

I like the shower heat exchange and plumbing... Nice Rig.

Kevin

Hi All:

"Troll," nice sand rig, but you'll need some Super Swampers if you want to 'wheels any muddy trails!

Seriously, nice rig! Glad to see that you are working on it and driving it! Best way to learn more about the truck.

Enjoy!

Alan
Seattle

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

"Troll," nice sand rig, but you'll need some Super Swampers if you want to 'wheels any muddy trails!

Seriously, nice rig! Glad to see that you are working on it and driving it! Best way to learn more about the truck.

Enjoy!

Alan
Seattle

Thanks.

Tires are comming. I've got a few more projects before I spring the 1k for them.

And if I'm not mistaken that is the ferry out of Ocracoke to Cedar island. A long ride! Thats silver lake in the pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom