Guppie's Green 72 FJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Guppie's Green 72 FJ40 Build Thread

Thought I would start a build thread on this 72 fj40 I bought out of a field in the IE here in southern CA. It is actually in decent shape, a bit dusty in places and very minor rust for it's vintage. Plans are to do a frame on resto. I would like to get it done fairly quickly and may sell it afterwards. Goal is to use as much stuff as I have around and do a nice but budget friendly resto.

First few pics of it are when I picked it up. Finally got the engine running nicely, good compression, did not even have to pull the head. It has a 2f with disc brakes on it up front. Put in an HEI disty along with one of trollhole's carbs, completely desmogged.

Finished the floor shift conversion this long weekend and ripped out the interior. Next to do's are to take care of the rust on the car in the rear sill, rust under the rollbar mounts and rust on the drivers side under the door. Then gotta bedline the interior, yadda yadda yadda.

more to come.

Noah
222897_2082971278945_1385007954_32517342_679425_n.jpg
224168_2082969718906_1385007954_32517339_604550_n.jpg
224706_2082970558927_1385007954_32517341_2222691_n.jpg

Last edited:
even has a rollbar - looks nice.

Looking forward to watching progress :popcorn:

yeah, well it did, I cut that in half cuz i was too lazy to take the top off, :)

going to weld up all the silly holes that have been drilled in it and reconnect it using a nice weld in coupler piece I found online. should come out nice, going to paint it and put a nice thick plate in underneath after taking care of the rust.

I.D. Tube Clamp

Was that a column shift? My March '72 was a factory floor shift. Good lookin' work and rig. Aleve might be your friend for the sore hands!

Hear anything outa Dominic?

Was that a column shift? My March '72 was a factory floor shift. Good lookin' work and rig. Aleve might be your friend for the sore hands!

Hear anything outa Dominic?

it was a column shift, did not like all the gobedly goo involved with it, plus the previous owner has really done some monkey ape s*** to this truck, so all of that had to go. I am now working on taking all the cheesy crap the last guy did on this thing, wiring goofs, wall anchors in holes, goop everywhere, etc. Going to weld all that crap up.

Nah, Dominic got married and his wife only lets him out once a year for pizza and beer. :)

j/k, talked to him the other day.

Noah

nice start!!!!!! solid looking rig!!!!!

Looks like a good start/platform.

Good luck with it.

John

Summer of George

It's the summer of George. I am going to get a block of cheese the size of a car battery and work on cruisers.

Got a few things done at the same time as helping the neighbor fix his 2 cars, garage has been busy.

Marked all the holes that need to be welded shut and smoothed. Filled all stock holes with bolts preparing for bedliner. Drilled out and retapped several broken bolts and studs. Must of pulled out 25+ wall anchors that some asshat thought was a good idea to plug holes with. Also marked the areas in the tub that need to be cut out. Ground off A TON of bondo on one corner panel. Pounded the metal out while holding a straight edge to the metal. Came out fairly nice. Body shop should be able to smooth the rest. Ground the paint off on drivers side door sill, that will need some patching. Ground down passenger side door sill paint and the metal is just fine. Also took apart the rear door mechanisms and coated the inner area with heavy duty wax paint that I got at eastwood. This stuff is awesome, it is kinda oily when spraying it and then drys tacky and waxy. Is great for door bottoms and channels where water might settle.
IMG_20120624_144331.jpg
IMG_20120624_144418.jpg
IMG_20120624_144918.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom