What stock was chrome or optional chrome (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I wanted to started a thead where all the chrome items were listed as a good referance. Here is what I have accumulated through other posts:

I started this more as a reference, as I am getting ready to take some items to be re-chromed, and wanted to make sure I take all the parts to be done at the same time, and decided to determine what all pieces were chrome originally.

Ashtray and ashtray trim
Trim rings around switches on dash
grab handle above the glove box door.
Bezel on late models
Back up light
License plate light cover
Side Rear view mirrors
chrome wheels (late model)
Hood and windshield hooks
Rear lift gate struts
Door handles and rear door handles
fj55 chrome raingutter molding
Chrome middle strip on early 40's hood
emblems
Wheel centers and hubcaps (most lockouts dealer installed)

Seat belt buckleswindshield washer cover (option)
cowl vent (option)
front bumper (option)
rear bumperettes (option)
Tow hooks (option)
kick vent (option)
[STRIKE]fender aprons (option)Thanks poser
rear swing out doors (option) Thanks poser [/STRIKE]
glove box door (option)
roll-bar(option)
instrument bezel(option)
shifter(option)
Shifter and t-case levers (option)
Clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals(options)

Pictures are from Bling-Bling Seeknight's rig, that some of the Austin folks put up on Mud.
116947755_9PcKm-M.jpg
side.JPG
DSC02463.jpg

Last edited:
Never seen chrome tow hooks before got any pics usually black or rusty patina

Never seen chrome tow hooks before got any pics usually black or rusty patina

I have a sets of chrome tow hooks but I don' believe they were ever a option from Toyota. Same with the vent in front of the windshield. I have one of those plus the heater vent on the side for a 66 thru 71. Chrome but not fgactory item.

Guy in our local club has much more chrome than that, and it came from the dealer that way (bought new in SoCal '82):

Chrome roll-bar
Chrome instrument bezel
Chrome glove box door
Chrome shifter
Chrome pedals

He started to de-chrome it when he got it a few years back, but ended up having to "embrace the bling" :D

Tucker

BTW: It has most of the other stuff you've listed as well.

I have a fj40 that had a chrome bezel, windshield wiper motor cover & side kick vents. I guess they were a dealer option.

I will never buy or use chrome tow hooks, even if they're on a vehicle that I have to pull out of whatever. I don't trust them.

So, I wanted to started a thead where all the chrome items were listed as a good referance. Here is what I have accumulated through other posts:

front bumper (option)
rear bumperettes (option)
Tow hooks (option)
Ashtray and ashtray trim
Trim rings around switches on dash
grab handle above the glove box door.
Bezel (option)
Side Rear view mirrors
Late model chrome wheels (option)
Rear lift gate struts
Door handles and rear door handles
fj55 chrome raingutter molding
windshield washer cover (option)
cowl vent (option)
Hood and windshield hooks
emblems
Wheel centers and hubcaps
Chrome middle strip on early 40's hood
Seat belt buckles

glove box door (not confirmed)

What is your source for the "chrome from the factory" you have listed here?

Poser- Everything I have listed came from searching hundreads of posts. I should add that dealer options, I would consider factory.

Folkert- I think I posted in your other link, but I will say it again that your website with the bj44, is extremely well done. Great work on that chrome too!

Dieseler- I added a picture of the chrome hooks above. I also have a set in my shop-- however, the chome is flaking off. From my research, Toyota Chrome was terrible, so I am thinking mine were stock. :)

Last edited:
Poser- Everything I have listed came from searching hundreads of posts. I should add that dealer options, I would consider factory.

Warn lockouts and winches were not made in Japan...

:meh:

I purchased a 1971 40 series from Tuscon back in 1999 and the fender aprons and rear swing out doors were chromed. So add that to your factory chrome list...

:lol:

I sorry I would not call a dealer installed chrome piece as factory. Any factory chrome should a part number. So any part with part number with a part isfactory those witout are not. Other markets may have gotten more than we did but too will have part number. Because someone has a cruiser a PO said has factory doesn't make it fact. Now if they have the window sticker showing it was factory item that's one thing. But if it lists it as dealer installed that's another thing.

Yeah, I think a caucasian dealer pulled the stuff off, had it chromed, and put it back on, to sell a car at a premium, I don't think it came out of Japan like that. It is a proven, and widely known fact, that Japanese people hate chrome. In Japanese the word "chrome" is the same word as the word "devil" hence the likelyhood of these items coming that way is very slim.

If the Japanese hate chrome then why do the JDM 40/41/42/44/46s all have many chrome pieces ie; bumper,bumperettes.bezel and on the 60s they have stepped out chrome bumpers usually with huge bush gaurd also in chrome.
002.jpg
02079_002.jpg

Last edited:
If the Japanese hate chrome then why do the JDM 40/41/42/44/46s all have many chrome pieces ie; bumper,bumperettes.bezel and on the 60s they have stepped out chrome bumpers usually with huge bush gaurd also in chrome.

Notice how all models such as this were exported and not kept in Japan, they also, at the dark time, hired foriegners to build them in an attempt to spread the "devil" to the outside world. None of these foriegn workers can be found today because all of them mysteriously disappeared. I thought everyone already knew all this factual history.......oh, how naive!

I sorry I would not call a dealer installed chrome piece as factory. Any factory chrome should a part number. So any part with part number with a part isfactory those witout are not. Other markets may have gotten more than we did but too will have part number. Because someone has a cruiser a PO said has factory doesn't make it fact. Now if they have the window sticker showing it was factory item that's one thing. But if it lists it as dealer installed that's another thing.

Where I agree somewhat, I also know for a fact the later ('82-'83) 40s that did come in had a lot more factory chrome. Landpimp researched this pretty extensively back in the day, his '82 has quite a bit of chrome as well. Seaknight's '82 pictured above is one of the most stock late model 40's you'll ever see. The original owner stated he purchased it the way it sits brand new off a lot in Southern California in '82. Now that being said, I don't think the pedals/shifter/roll-bar came from the factory that way. I'd have a hard time saying on the cluster and glove box, they do have all the factory rivets etc. The mirrors, bezel, bumpers, tow hook, etc are all factory parts for sure -

It's a neat truck, even though the owner isn't big chrome fan ... was a point in time car culture for sure ;)

Tucker

**The top picture is his truck, not the bottom**

Last edited:
Seaknight's bling-mobile minus the 60 series chrome rims he now runs :)

Lee%27sFJ40-LakeTravis.JPG

to be or not to be, that is the question

I'm game for that. I would agree that a dealer installed part may or may not of been created in Japan by Toyota standards. What if I split the list between toyota factory including anything with a part number or was on the invoice, and second area with common dealer installed options. Like poser said the warn lockouts were dealer, but very common, so we sometimes consider them "standard". So, the question is what was Toyota and what was dealer. I marked "option" on the items that seem so uncommon that must be dealer. Please post up if anyone knows if these are Toyota options. Thanks for your info.

While I did in fact purchase a truck in Tucson in 1999 that did have those items chromed, I was being a smart ass about adding them to your list....hence the :lol:

:rolleyes:

Seriously, remove any reference to me in your "list" please.

:beer:

Oh, and I have not ever considered any aftermarket component for a specific vehicle "standard", as to imply that "they all came that way".

This is my cruiser in the first picture. I bought the front bumper and bezel from the dealer in 1979 (they were less than $10 more than the painted)
I got the rear bumperettes from Cruiserdan 2 years ago. The front hooks were painted but when I stripped them there was chrome under the paint.
They are all factory chrome.
side.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom