Ive had a cruiser spell put on me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I should've listened to Rob (landcrusher909)when he recommended I do a rebuild thread to avoid seperate posting of different issues I would come across during my mini rebuild. I dont think these are issues I believe some heep neighbor has put a spell on my rig to malfunction in every which way possible.

Ive had 2 issues this past week, first my awful steering wander then the lack of brakes. I tackled the issues based on advise of the members here at mud (thank you all) and they are in the process of getting repaired.

Steering.... much better thanks to new 4 degree shims and some steering component tightening .

Brakes.....a little better but im waiting on new MC (i believe the first one i bought may be bad)which i will bench bleed as suggested by many and then continue with more adjusting and as poser suggested moving rig back and forth to center pads. Im also picking up a vacuum bleeder to help clear all the air.

Well heres the new issue:mad:....when I went to start the truck up today to try Posers advice of moving forward/back, it sounded funny. So what do I do ? I start moving around vacuum hoses around.Now it is sputtering/backfiring out of exhaust, the has carbon deposits and ive got 1 extra hose and it sounds far worse actually it may be 2 extra hoses. :doh:

I need help, what goes where and what should be capped If anything. Should the emmisions box (mounted on drivers fender)be scrapped. I dont have any other smog components that i know of except for charcoal cannister in bay and on center of bench seat, these I dont mind keeping, as I understand they control gasoline vapors.

My dizzy if I remember correct was set adv, and ive got a petronix flamethrower coil.

I feel like such a dumbarse messing the hose configuration up...

Here are some pics of my mess .
carbmud.jpg
carbmud22.jpg

A few more miscellaneous photos of my carb. Suggestions ideas !!!!
128 029.jpg
128 032.jpg
128 042.jpg

Anyone!!!! Anyone!!! In dire need of assistance.

Thanks fellas

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was troubleshooting a sticky throttle issue and had found the issue (linkage was binding) and resolved it. Put the throttle linkage back on and started the truck up. I hear this loud vaccum leak, but couldn't find it. Turned out to be the vaccum line to the brake booster was cracked, I had moved it enough to "open" the crack during the reinstall of the throttle linkage. So check all your hoses including the brake vaccum line. FWIW, on my 73, I don't have anything going to that emissions box, I removed it altogether.

Thanks emr88, ill make sure on them hoses I know they are a bit brittle also do these house a valve of some sort inside of them.

Checked the hoses appear to fine. I need a diagram for how these darn hoses go into and out of my carb, i screwed it all up not paying attention to how they were before moving them around.

Marcelo

1972 right? I'm glad I dont have this on my rig!

-Anyway, hope this is the diagram you're looking for.
emiss control 72-73.jpg

llee, thanks for the diagram and I will try it however i dont think any of the hoses were actually plugged to that box mounted on the fender. If I follow this diagram i think i must set to retard.

llee, thanks for the diagram and I will try it however i dont think any of the hoses were actually plugged to that box mounted on the fender. If I follow this diagram i think i must set to retard.

Hey Brother , Time for a drive by :steer: Oh and Welcome to my world LOL Honestly between all the F motors I have as far as the vacuum lines go I have one from the dizzy to carb, Intake to Brake Booster and maybe one from the intake to the 4 wheel drive switch. everything else is pluged off. I would pull the dizzy cap check for cracks, loose roter, maybe pull the vacuum line from the brake booster block it off and see how it runs ( Booster might be going bad ) then get crazy and check the valve adjustment. let me know when the coffie cake is out of the oven and I will stop by :cheers:

Rob !!!!!!! Whats up brother good to hear from you, ya a drive by would be cool but your not working on this side of town anymore, no worries ill figure it out.....without a job for now gives me all the time in the world....my hearing for work continues on april 28 until then no paycheck and no job, been doing some bodyguarding type work but its very scarce.....hope you and wendy are well !!! Hows the boy ????

Back to business, these hoses are killing me.....no cracks in dizz I checked that, everything was running prestine, but i think a buddy of mine was messing with the hoses when i wasnt looking....all hoses are off until I figure out which goes where....

#1 dizzy diaphram
#2 carb diaphram
#3 carb mount port
#4 intake port
#5 and the emmissions box with 4 ports

Did i miss one ??? I think thats it

Marcelo

Any other suggestions fellas.....poser, mark, jimc, pinhead, anyone anyone.......thank you all so far for suggestions im still at sqare uno .....

marcelo

Back to business, these hoses are killing me.....no cracks in dizz I checked that, everything was running prestine, but i think a buddy of mine was messing with the hoses when i wasnt looking....all hoses are off until I figure out which goes where....

#1 dizzy diaphram- cap
#2 carb diaphram-hook to the tube on the base of the carb on the driver's side
#3 carb mount port-PCV, or something else?
#4 intake port-cap
#5 and the emmissions box with 4 ports-REMOVE. The one large hose going into the box should be re-routed so that it vents directly into the air cleaner between the filter and the carb.

Did i miss one ??? I think thats it

Marcelo

See replies above.:)

There is a larger sized hose in pic #3 in the top of the pic. What is it attached to?

See replies above.:)

Hi Mark,

I have looked up at replies, but none have applied to my issue. Did I am not seeing something ???

There is a larger sized hose in pic #3 in the top of the pic. What is it attached to?

You referring to this one in the picture ? Thats my windshield washer nozzle hose, it broke off the nozzle and was hanging off into the photo.

I know the problem lies in the vacuum lines into and out of carb/dizz/intake etc.....
mark.jpg

LOL.......:eek: Mark I didnt notice you replied into my post.....thanks alot....:doh:

Im going to try that first thing in morning....thanks again...

Marcelo

Just for confirmation

Mark I couldnt wait till morning so I peaked at engine bay and didnt see any ports or attachments for the re-route and correct me if im wrong but you indicated to re-route the larger hose depicted in picture #2 (the frayed thick one going into emissions device) somewhere in between the air cleaner and the carb. Do I port this some how, see photo below. I was thinking a hollow bolt to attach hose to ????

Also on your reply #3 carb mount port-PCV, or something else?see other photo, I guess its not a port but a tube sticking out of where the carb is stacked. As you indicated a hose will come from here to diapragm directly above it as noted in photo.

If I can get it running well, I wanna drive it up to your place (marks offroad)to have the carb ported as you suggested I do a long long time ago.

Thanks everyone again and Ill keep you posted as soon as hoses are plugged and carb tuned, wish me luck:eek:
MMMMM.jpg
MARK2.JPG

Mark I couldnt wait till morning so I peaked at engine bay and didnt see any ports or attachments for the re-route and correct me if im wrong but you indicated to re-route the larger hose depicted in picture #2 (the frayed thick one going into emissions device) somewhere in between the air cleaner and the carb. Do I port this some how, see photo below. I was thinking a hollow bolt to attach hose to ????

Yes, but I would place the new nipple on the underside of the air cleaner, as Toyota did on some models. There is a guy in the Cottonland Cruisers, werd is his MUD handle, that was gonna look into a fitting to make this job easier, but I never heard back from him, and didn't see him at the Roundup this year to ask. So now I pass the job to you Marcelo!;)

And,don't bother showing up unless you're planning to bring me some coffee cake too!;p

Couple things. You have an early 72 head with no air injection ports. So the diagram posted above is not for your cruiser. The diagram is for a late 72 (august of 72 to sometime in 73)

I'd personally do something about your valve cover. You have a late 2f valve cover. Which fits kind of. The F motors had longer valve cover studs for the taller steel valve cover. That why you have the long looking spacers holding your valve cover down. Also by having the 2f valve cover your valve cover vent is all the way at the back which makes for a longer hose that has to wrap around. With the steel one it is much closer and no extreme bends.

You also could swap out the rocker mounting studs to the later they are shorter. But that seems like a lot of work.

Could also just do nothing and live with it. The steel covers if not tightened correctly will leak. I learned that the hard way on my first cruiser.

Air cleaner fitting. I don't remember off the top of my head what size the evav hose is but something like this should work. All you would need to do is cut off one side.
Parker 22BH-6-6 Bulkhead Union

Mark I understand why you cap off the Vac retard port on those dizzy's but why would he not just buy a vac advance dizzy and get you or Jim C to port his carb? Wouldn't that gain him some more performance? Or does the vac retard dizzy already have enough advance built into the mechanical advance?

Couple things. You have an early 72 head with no air injection ports. So the diagram posted above is not for your cruiser. The diagram is for a late 72 (august of 72 to sometime in 73)

I'd personally do something about your valve cover. You have a late 2f valve cover. Which fits kind of. The F motors had longer valve cover studs for the taller steel valve cover. That why you have the long looking spacers holding your valve cover down. Also by having the 2f valve cover your valve cover vent is all the way at the back which makes for a longer hose that has to wrap around. With the steel one it is much closer and no extreme bends.

You also could swap out the rocker mounting studs to the later they are shorter. But that seems like a lot of work.

Could also just do nothing and live with it. The steel covers if not tightened correctly will leak. I learned that the hard way on my first cruiser.

Air cleaner fitting. I don't remember off the top of my head what size the evav hose is but something like this should work. All you would need to do is cut off one side.
Parker 22BH-6-6 Bulkhead Union

Mark I understand why you cap off the Vac retard port on those dizzy's but why would he not just buy a vac advance dizzy and get you or Jim C to port his carb? Wouldn't that gain him some more performance? Or does the vac retard dizzy already have enough advance built into the mechanical advance?
Troll thank you for the info, and yes you are correct its a 3/72 not a 9/72 as I formerly believed.

The valve cover doesnt leak at all in fact the original leaked a quart a day ok not that bad but it leaked and from my understanding they were known for that. Your suggestion for new studs would probably be a good idea once i get her running again, for now im focussing on putting her safely on the road again. Troll dont you have an 90mph 2f cruiser ????

My understanding was that it was a vac advance dizzy I have !heres a photo can you tell either way.

Mark ill call before I go to make sure your in the mood for coffee cake senor!
DSC02431.jpg
DSC02433.jpg

Last edited:
I'm finding it hard to believe your brake master that you bought is bad considering it is ASCO made for Toyota. They usually are good right out of the box.

And yes your right again Troll, it wasnt bad, the installer was bad :bang:for not "bench bleeding" and adjusting the cylinders correctly. There are plenty of mixed ideas whether a MC should be bench bled or bled while on truck, well i now....on a bench vise !!!

"I should've listened to Rob (landcrusher909)when he recommended I do a rebuild thread to avoid seperate posting of different issues I would come across during my mini rebuild. I dont think these are issues I believe some heep neighbor has put a spell on my rig to malfunction in every which way possible."

Is your neighbor a scorned woman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom