3FE adventure - (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
I've had an '89 3FE I picked up for $200 sitting in my garage on a stand for over a year, guess it's time to do something with it. Didn't really plan on swapping out a perfectly good 2F, but the deal was too good to pass up and mine didn't have domed pistons to swap just the top end. So last weekend I drained the oil and started tearing off the emissions crap, here's a pic of where I ended up:

3FE.jpg

Put together a list of parts and started reading threads until they came in ;) Plan was to desmog it and make it stop leaking oil, so off came the valve cover, side cover, main pulley and timing cover after some degreasing. I replaced the valve cover gasket and plugged the air rail with the OEM plugs before turning it on it's side to do this one:

IMG00027-20100213-1611.jpg

Over it went to slice off the oil pan with a razor knife, damn those cork gaskets suck to get off when they get brittle. Chained it up and pulled the back plate, rear main is pretty easy after you pull the rear bearing cap :)

IMG00024-20100213-1549.jpg

IMG00025-20100213-1610.jpg

Back on the stand for the oil pan gasket, used copious amounts of the black stuff:

IMG00028-20100213-1702.jpg

So easy to button up when it's upside down :flipoff2: Also went ahead and set #1 to TDC and installed the dizzy before it was closed, always want to make sure that sucker is seated correctly in the oil pump.

IMG00029-20100213-1739.jpg

All torqued down and flipped it back over to tackle the injectors and intake next weekend.

IMG00035-20100214-1236.jpg

That's where I'm at for now, not bad for a Saturday :D

To be continued ...

Tucker

Last edited:
So far I'm at 1.5x what I paid for the engine in parts, so much for thinking this was going to be cheap :frown:

Parts List (so far):
Valve Cover Gasket
Side Cover Gasket
Oil Pan Gasket (12151-61011 - $20.46)
Rear Main (90311-99005 - $45.65)
Timing Cover Gasket (11328-61010 - $10.46)
Timing Cover Seal (90311-45008 - $13.91)
PCV Valve/Grommet (12204-35040/90480-18001 - $7.65)
Intake Gasket (17176-61020 - $11.49)
Throttle Body Gasket (22271-61020 - $3.56)
Idle Speed Gasket (22278-42010 - $2.42)
EGR Gasket (25627-61021 - $3.90)
Air Injector Plugs (4) (90340-14001 - $25.40)
Fuel Injector Cups/O-rings/Gaskets (6) ($85.14)
EFI Temp Sender (broke it :frown:) (89422-20010 - $47.48)

I'm not even into the interesting stuff yet, guess that's how it goes with Cruiser projects :doh:

Tucker

Last edited:
Welcome to the sickness. You are in good company. Question. You used the word d-smog. Why install the EGR?

Nice i am takin notes

Also picked this up for $26 on eBay, gonna come in handy once I get to the wiring :D

Tucker

The 3FE Toyota work shop manual manual is available online somewhere here on mud but you would have to search, PDF format.

Thinking, while that close should have taken a close look at all the main & rod bearings....rod bearings especially, if not just go ahead and replace as a preventive maintenance measure as these short strokers carry a bad rap on the bottom end failure...........

Thinking, while that close should have taken a close look at all the main & rod bearings....rod bearings especially, if not just go ahead and replace as a preventive maintenance measure as these short strokers carry a bad rap on the bottom end failure...........

Where to stop is always the question, originally I was just going to slap it in there like I got it :frown: When I was degreasing the 20 years of crud off the engine so I could get to the bolts, I decided to just seal it up and run it. No paint on the block, no bearings ... you know how it goes, once you pull off the bearing caps you might as well ... before you know it you're at $2k.

Not rebuilding this one, just sealing it up and gaining EFI in the 40 :) There wasn't any significant wear on the rear main bearing cap I did pull. If the bottom end goes, I'll find a later 2F block and go 2FE with all the wiring already done ;)

Tucker

Subscribed! Looks good Tucker. I thought about doing this conversion, but opted for a new top end in the mean time. I'll be taking notes for when this day comes though :D

I should have done the same to the 3FE I'm putting in the FJ68. I just degreased it (mostly from a leaky PS pump) and slapped it in.

i am with you too.... a 3fe into fj40-69 ...

Tuck, please continue, and more pics please. thanks for this thread.

Also went ahead and set #1 to TDC and installed the dizzy before it was closed, always want to make sure that sucker is seated correctly in the oil pump.

Seriously doubt without the use of the bell housing pointer and flywheel markings your shoot from the hip guess on #1 TDC attempt will be close enough to bulls-eye for correct settings as the dizzy base has limited twist capabilities :hmm:

Seriously doubt without the use of the bell housing pointer and flywheel markings your shoot from the hip guess on #1 TDC attempt will be close enough to bulls-eye for correct settings as the dizzy base has limited twist capabilities :hmm:
Since the flywheel is still bolted to the 2F in my truck, really can't count on the markings :D You'd be surprised what you can see with a motor upside down looking at the pistons, crank and cam lobes ...

You are correct that I'm going to have to play with it when it comes time to fire, but it's probably closer than you'd think.

Tucker

EGR is gone, got the gasket for one of these:

ToyEGR.jpg

Using your freeze plug method for the exhaust manifold, may end up with one here too ... got the gasket just so I'd have a choice ;)

Tucker

Where did you get it? I brought home my 3fe tonight for my 3fe/h55f swap I will be starting soon. Where did you buy your gaskets from?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom