Another question for the SBC guys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Where is your motor mounted?
Are you dead center between frame rails....little to the right....little to the left??

Im 1" to the right from center to make sure I have room for the mini PS and rams horns.
Am I going to have Right hand cruiser lean.....seeing the transfer case weight, drive shafts and fuel tank are all now on RT?

Last edited:
Mock up your steering box and rams horn exhaust then set your center line. These components will dictate motor placement. As far as the "Right hand Cruiser" lean, that all depends on suspension components. Wouldn't expect this mod to alter pre-sbc swap that much. Good luck!!!

Part of the answer to location, left or right, will depend on , front to back. I have seen engine locations where the box is behind the dump, in front and next to the box. That is why Downey of Road suggested a rear dump header on the driver side. No clearance problems. As to lean, You weigh more than the transfer and fuel in the tank, and you are on the left.
mainifold 2.jpg
rams style.jpg

One (of many) reasons the stock engine sits 1" to the drivers side (on USA left hand drive vehicles) is to get the drive shafts into better alignment between transfer-case and differentials (still not a straight shot). Another reason is obviously to keep the transfer-case off the right hand frame rail. My guess is that if you've moved the engine 1" towards the passengers side, you haven't set the body onto the frame yet. You should discover that the transfer-case is darn near into the gas tank, and definitely already digging into the floor sheet metal (i.e. rear of tranny tunnel is too tight to the transfer-case and won't allow it to move to the right very far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom