Pistorman's 1970 FJ40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello there. After probably two years thinking about it, I finally went ahead and bought a 1970 FJ40 from a man in Winnsboro, LA. I bid on it on eBay and eded up buying it for $3,550.00 the car does not seem to have over 100K. The engine sounds and starts pretty well.

The car was kept in Colorado for most of its life, with a horrible almost agonizing ending in Louisiana (with all due respect, not a place for an FJ40 to avoid rust).

As to the car's original condition (which was omitted from the eBay description in large part) was a large amount of rust in both quarter panels (in addition to the rotted out rear sill), the rocker panels and the roof top channel-rain gutter and side panels. PO also said he had made no alterations to it, in large part this is true with the exception of a horrible hole he made on the dashboard to install a very cheap radio that didn't even work (I really don't understand what he was thinking). He really did not do anymore mods to the car as he said he didn't drive it since he arrived to Lousiana 10 years ago. HE DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO CHANGE THE OIL IN TEN YEARS EITHER!!! :mad: Oh well, that in addition that he used the car as a dog house that at somepoint was also the focus of a large wasp nest :crybaby: ... I think its a shame, he was expecting 7K for the car, as if it would be plated in gold, he even tried to get more money out of me once I arrived to that town regardless of the eBay bidding process, I kind of reminded him of the legal consequences and he relented.

OK, so I don't want to make this "I hate the PO" thread, but I had to vent.

As soon as I figure it out I'll add pics and I'll explain what is being done to this car. My main interest is to make this car STOCK as much as possible, with some modifications that are easy on the eye and are justified for today's driving environment.

The pictures I am adding now have the car with new quarter panels, new rocker panels (all unpainted), new leaf springs, shocks and shackles and new tires.

The car is now North of Houston, Texas. I'd appreciate your comments, suggestions, feedback, etc. Happy to be on board.

Regards from a newbie.

Pistorman :flipoff2:
FJ401.jpg
FJ404.jpg
FJ402.jpg

Doesnt look too bad to start off with - a nice oldie

Nice find ~ Now tear it down and rebuild it

And BTW ~ Welcome :flipoff2:

Forget about the purchase problems and lookforward and move forward. Looks like a good rig to start with. 7,000 would be a joke for that. I bought a jeep off ebay, saw it ending in 30 minutes and just bought it, very good experience and will pickup a 62 fj40 next week I got off ebay, hope for the same good experience, guy seems real nice so sure it will be.

Did it some with those new panels or did you already put them on. My first car ever was a 1970 fj40, does this have the three on the tree.

Looks like a nice rig to start with. I'll tell you before the bezel police get you, flip your bezel.:)

Good luck on your project, can't wait to see how it comes along.

she's your baby now, forget the P.O. and enjoy the time you spend making her all yours! Welcome

I bough the quarter panels and the rear sill at CCOT. Had them installed as the other parts were really an eyesore even for a tear down project.

It has three on the column. Original F engine. Even the stock courtesy light works. Only thing missing is the horn button assembly, the cap is there and all but I had to temporarily install a cheap column horn button to get it to pass the safety inspection for Texas title registration. Anyone know how to fix this?

Regards, I'll post more pictures later today.

Nice looking rig. I live in the Houston area as well; who welded the body panels for you and how much did it cost?

Thanks
Robert

I bough the quarter panels and the rear sill at CCOT. Had them installed as the other parts were really an eyesore even for a tear down project.

It has three on the column. Original F engine. Even the stock courtesy light works. Only thing missing is the horn button assembly, the cap is there and all but I had to temporarily install a cheap column horn button to get it to pass the safety inspection for Texas title registration. Anyone know how to fix this?

Regards, I'll post more pictures later today.

I live in The Woodlands and you?

Nice looking rig. I live in the Houston area as well; who welded the body panels for you and how much did it cost?

Thanks
Robert

I'm up North in The Woodlands. They were welded in a metal shop in Garland, TX (Dallas), then brought it here. Altogether with the rear sill, quarter panels, rocker panels, gas tank, I paid a little less than 1K plus about 350 for parts. :frown:

I guess paying dues, but other than that, there is no more "heavy" body work to be done, save for media blasting, bondo surfacing, painting...

Where's a good mechanic in town? Any you'd recommend in economics and knowledge?

Did you have to install the horn button to get it titled and registered or inspected? Is that thing legal? If so, congrats, you should feel great about what you spent.

Did you have to install the horn button to get it titled and registered or inspected? Is that thing legal? If so, congrats, you should feel great about what you spent.

horn is for the safety part of the inspection. if you have any inspection questions let me know, im an inspector in north houston.

horn is for the safety part of the inspection. if you have any inspection questions let me know, im an inspector in north houston.

Yes, I needed to have the safety inspection. They required horn, lights, brakes, signals, seat belts, etc. Not new or anything shiny but in operating condition.

rob, i just started my body panels friday, got all of my passenger side cut out just gotta get it welded in to do the driver side. its really not as hard as you would think, i was suprised it was much simpler than i thought, really just time consuming. took me about 3 hours to get the wheel and fender out, think the driver side will go much quicker. if you decide to do it on your own let me know and ill help you get started, if you want to come get a look at mine to help you get an idea where to start just let me know.

pistorman if you need any help let me know. i enjoy seeing running 40's around houston, don't see them to often.

Update

Here's a rough update, the reassemble has begun, here are some pictures, yes, quarter lights are wrong but they'll be fixed.
IMG00017-20110208-1647.jpg
IMG00018-20110208-1647.jpg
IMG00019-20110208-1647.jpg

Hello there. After probably two years thinking about it, I finally went ahead and bought a 1970 FJ40 from a man in Winnsboro, LA. I bid on it on eBay and eded up buying it for $3,550.00 the car does not seem to have over 100K. The engine sounds and starts pretty well.

The car was kept in Colorado for most of its life, with a horrible almost agonizing ending in Louisiana (with all due respect, not a place for an FJ40 to avoid rust).

As to the car's original condition (which was omitted from the eBay description in large part) was a large amount of rust in both quarter panels (in addition to the rotted out rear sill), the rocker panels and the roof top channel-rain gutter and side panels. PO also said he had made no alterations to it, in large part this is true with the exception of a horrible hole he made on the dashboard to install a very cheap radio that didn't even work (I really don't understand what he was thinking). He really did not do anymore mods to the car as he said he didn't drive it since he arrived to Lousiana 10 years ago. HE DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO CHANGE THE OIL IN TEN YEARS EITHER!!! :mad: Oh well, that in addition that he used the car as a dog house that at somepoint was also the focus of a large wasp nest :crybaby: ... I think its a shame, he was expecting 7K for the car, as if it would be plated in gold, he even tried to get more money out of me once I arrived to that town regardless of the eBay bidding process, I kind of reminded him of the legal consequences and he relented.

OK, so I don't want to make this "I hate the PO" thread, but I had to vent.

As soon as I figure it out I'll add pics and I'll explain what is being done to this car. My main interest is to make this car STOCK as much as possible, with some modifications that are easy on the eye and are justified for today's driving environment.

The pictures I am adding now have the car with new quarter panels, new rocker panels (all unpainted), new leaf springs, shocks and shackles and new tires.

The car is now North of Houston, Texas. I'd appreciate your comments, suggestions, feedback, etc. Happy to be on board.

Regards from a newbie.

Pistorman ************

It is a shame how people all over the world are bent on screwing each other instead of trying to be honest/ One thing is for sure, I never lost anything in La. so I don't think I'll ever go back... just my .02 pesos worth. My po said it was restored Haa haaa! The only thing I found restored was new paint hiding all the junk! But how I do love my 40 now! Good luck with the 40. It does have potential as all do with the rright owner.:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom