A winch challenge vehicle is born (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Various pics takemn of my FJ40 along the way :D

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

fj2.jpg

fj1.jpg

cage90.jpg

no comments??

Cool truck, I like it. Very heavy-duty looking roll cage!

I think the truck looks great. It looks very capable.

I am not real sure what a "winch challenge" truck should look like? Is the truck in Kenya?

Hi All:

Hey, remember - you posted at like 4am North American time! :rolleyes:

That out of the way, tell us about the "Goodwinch" electric winch you have fitted on this 40 Series. I've seen these in ads in UK Land Rover 'zines.

Regards,

Alan

---------------------------------------------------------------
no comments??

I like the F/R winches.......try to pull it apart and see which winch wins!:D

Your steering wheel is on the wrong side.:hmm:

i have been pondering putting my spare winch in the rear . still working on how to mount it with out it becoming a rock magnet .

challenge truck

To answer the questions:

Car is here in the UK. Collectively, we've got 3 1/2. This one's built just for challenges. 2nd one built on 80 series chasis & running gear. 3rd one has a turbo charged 60 series diesel.

Lots of videos on youtube re: winch challenges. Search for "midland offroad" or "howling wolf challenge". Should give you an idea about it.

Basically, course is set up with 40 punches. A card with 40 boxes is attached to your car and the object is to accumlate as many points as you can by punching the card. Some punches are higher scoring, depending on level of difficulty.

Steering was on the Ledt but moved it over to, the "right side" haahaa. Only reason- power steering unit I had was for a RHD.

Things to do:

Final welding & painting of cage
Put the fuel tank back in
35x10.5x15 Simex tyres need fitting
Desgned my own front bumper which needs welding, painting and attaching
Plumb the fire extinguisher in
Find suitable place for battery & connect winches etc.

hmmmmmmmm what else :confused:
:doh:Currently running the 2F engine. Soon to be replaced with a checy 305. Spare engine, 350 requires rebuilding

A friend that's been competing for a while recommended the Goodwinches. They were having trouble with the 2 Warn M82's they had, front & back. They kept blowing them up & has gone to 2 Goodwinches, al;so knows as the Goldfish Winch (works underwater). They've got a new, 9500lb winch with a modified larger drum. That's the one fitted to the front of mine. Haven't had a chance to test it yet but am told is as fast as the M82 & alot more reliable. Godwinch has sponsored someone on the challenges & in 2 years, has only replaced the remote that wqs driven over.

Cage is a modified Metal Tech one. Had to add few more diagonals etc. Atlthough Metaltech supply cage with chasis tie downs, they're not enough to comply with the "blue book" specs set out by MSA, the motorsport governing body in the UK. Front & rear Tie downs are standard. For the main hoop tie dowms, we had to modify the chasis by addiding a channel across the back for the middle diagonals to weld down to.

Will add more pics soon!

The 305

photo2.jpg

The day we picked her

DSC00711.jpg

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00716.jpg

then few more after

DSC00726.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

Hopefull get engine started this weekend! Wish me luck...........

Nice plate on the trailer :D

Cage fibally done! Preparing it for a lick of paint........

A.jpg

NewImage.jpg

Well overdue pics

UK Rhino Charge, September 2009, Pippingford

9734_142727101125_518371125_3100-1.jpg

DSC02017.jpg

DSC01995.jpg

P9201077.jpg

DSC01992.jpg

DSC_2668.jpg

Two quick questions:

What seats are those? The brand always happens to be obscured in the pics.

Any pictures of the STIs (especially the wagon)? I'm a big fan of the early models that sadly the US did not get.

Nice truck, thanks for the updates ! How is the competition going ?:beer:

Your bushboys sticker is upsidedown...! :)

Two quick questions:

What seats are those? The brand always happens to be obscured in the pics.

Any pictures of the STIs (especially the wagon)? I'm a big fan of the early models that sadly the US did not get.

Seats are Wolfrace, some Belgium make. Very light & strong.

This is the STI typre RA- race altered, base model they use to build rally cars. Has lighter body panels, no electrics such as windows, centrol locking stereo etc

IMG_4609.jpg

I can't find the wagon pics but it's identical to this on:

wagon1.jpg

Nice truck, thanks for the updates ! How is the competition going ?:beer:

Did 2 small events before winter last year. She goes well. Alternator failed on first event. Had missfire on second one. All in all, very pleased with her. The wheel arches need trimming. Each time the Simex tyre catches, the car just stops!

First round of this years season is on the 21st of March. Will post pics next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom