Homemade slide hammer for pilot bearing removal-- (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

vtcruiser60

SILVER Star
Threads
Materials:

1. Round stock rod
2. spare nut
3. two or three washers
4. tube

Directions: weld some extra metal onto the end of the rod, grind it into a finger, dip it into some water to cool it off. Slip the washers onto the rod. Weld a nut about 15-20 inches away from the finger. Slip the tube over the finger. Estimated time to fabricate----4 to 7 minutes.

Removal time of pilot bearing....about 12 seconds.

Other tricks for removing the pilot bearing include stuffing grease behind the pilot bearing and then sinking a dowel or socket into the hole. The back pressure forces the bearing out. I didn't try this and instead used the slide hammer....worked great.
slide hammer.jpg
slide hammer 2.jpg
slide hammer lip.jpg

The $7 pilot bearing puller from HF works great too, but props for yankee ingenuity.

Some auto parts stores will "loan" you the slide hammer and attachment for free. Well, you put down a deposit for the retail price of the tool and get it back when you return it. That's the route I took when I replaced my clutch.

No Harbor Freight shops in Vermont...plus I dare anyone to spend only $7 there! My local autoparts stores didn't have small slide hammers for loan....though that would have been handy as well.

Start a SST thread. Lots of interesting homemade tools out there.

CruiserHeads have lots of ingenuity :wrench::wrench::wrench:

On the cheap tools/that really do work/buying them makes sense issue:

Sometimes it's not the price of a tool, but how far you are from being able to aquire it that drives the decision to roll your own.

Oh... and having had one or three relaxing beverages makes the issue to go get that cheap tool a non issue... ;)

No Harbor Freight shops in Vermont...plus I dare anyone to spend only $7 there! My local autoparts stores didn't have small slide hammers for loan....though that would have been handy as well.

You're right. I always plan to spend $50 there, and usually walk out with a whole cart full of stuff I didn't know I needed.

Their puller is actually too big for the Cruiser pilot, but with careful grinding of the business end, it works awesome. I've sent mine all over to Mudder's doing a clutch job.

I've seen one very similar to the one above, but you don't weld the rear nut, you screw it in and it pulls the pilot bearing out. Great idea! :beer: ty

Gotta lot of respect for those who make their own tools,sometimes they are better than bought ones.I was tired of looking for a axl bearing socket ,and hate going into town so made one.
HPIM0981.jpg

To close out this thread I think it is only fair to say that I am willing to lend you my input bearing tool for the cost of shipping there and back. I didn't want people to think that I am so possessive or proud that I would not share my toys.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom