my new toy- ROTW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok heres goes. i used to own a 69 fj40 back in 75 and i love it. Well i sold it after i totalled it out on the calif coast. i split the trans in two and moved the motor 4 inches. It was a 400 sbc good motor. so anyway after some off road racing i always wanted another one. well here i am 50 years old and i finally got one only to redo it. I brought one that was in bad shape but i was blinded by the want instead of checking it out. So anyway after getting it i started taking things off that were bad and i got to the frame and decieded it was time to do a major overhaul. WHAT WAS I GETTING INTO??????????? anyway after reading some things you guys had on here i decieded what i was going to do. i did find out alot has changed since my off road racing days but i tried to learned. I wanted to build something to take to moab but i think i went a little to far. as you will see it is to nice to hurt but i will take it on some trail rides. Anyway heres whats in it. I tried to do the best i could on the info provided.:cheers::cheers::cheers: well anyway its a 1973 fj40 350 sbc built, turbo 350 trans built, stock transfer case rebuilt, arb lockers front and rear, new ring and pinions front and rear, long axles front, aux gas tank rear from mam a fre, arb compressor with a 2 and a half gallon aux tank for onbroad air, all steel braided hose, black magic electric fan works fine,ron davis radiator, and a lot of 4+ stuff he makes a great product. I did however put the spare tire in the rear for weight dibtrubution, mounted the hi lift jack above it. well i think it looks good. I did not want all that weight hanging off the back. i did put the rear tailgate on because it does have storage, i know to much diamond plate but what can i do so i decieded to put on a swing gate to hold a cooler and 2 jerry cans, not to much weight. It will cover up some of it and that way it wont stand out to much. It does have 4:11 gears front and rear. disc brakes front and rear. I did install a painless wiring not to bad. Heres the few things i still want to do. I want to get a set of u bolts flip kits for the front and rear, and i do need to change the front driveshaft. its to close the the trans pan. anyway i think thats about it on the stuff i did. I also want to think everyone on here who gave me advise weather it was good or bad i did soak it all in. now i just need to go find some trails. p.s there is alot i would do differant if i did it again but i am very happy with it. AGAIN THANKS EVERYONE.:clap: maybe i should build the wife one that way she will stop brothering me about driving this one. also i do have an old camaro that i want to turn into a racer full roll cage and everything else. maybe a good next project??????
bad ass fj40 010.jpg
bad ass fj40 013.jpg
bad ass fj40 011.jpg

Last edited:
Ahh this is the throaty sounding one! Very clean!! Quite nice.

i think poser said to do a thread on it to use as rotw so i think i did it right we will see if he uses it

Yeah. It has been way too long since the last ROTW. (How can so many people sign up for ROTW and then not deliver the goods?)

And this cruiser is certainly worthy of being "showcased".

Well done:beer:

Looking good! If you're short on projects, you can always head down to the 'couv and work on mine! ;) Also, anytime you're up for a trail run, let me know.

:cheers:

A build thread/full write up is warranted. Your attention to detail is to be envied.

Very Nice Ken....I know you (and the family) are glad its "finished".....Looking forward to some trail pics....
I want to see how it lights up the countryside at night.......

Where and what brand are the oval lights in your bumpers? I have been looking and can't seem to find any that aren't red or yellow.

Ken you did a great job , you will have fun in the high country. Enjoy.

Ken, Very nice cruiser, have enjoyed reading your build as you go. And I love your engine compartment. Nice work !!:cheers:

the lights are from a trailer shop for semis. any truck or trailer shop should be able to get them. dont know what make they are right now. since you are in spokane go to freightliner or international on broadway they should be able to get them. i am in vancouver wa

my neighbor kepts doing that to miss with me so i kept putting his house on there and he kepts getting calls ha ha ha. we kept selling each others stuff

thats purdy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom