Steering knuckle centering tool instructions (FAQ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coolerman

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.globalsoftware-inc.com
OK I thought I would post some pics here of this procedure with the tool.

Fellow Bluegrass Cruiser member bought the special shim determining tool and invited me to help him do the procedure.

Pic 1: Install the scriber part of the tool inside the axle housing then mount the rod assembly including the spring arm attachment with the bearings installed.
Tighten the tool nuts until the spring scale reads 4.4-5.5 lbs.
Measure the distance between the flat spots on the tool spacers under each nut.(sorry did not get that pic :frown: refer to instructions in the FSM ) Write this down as measurement A.

Paint the tool shaft with red lead.

Pic 2: Reach in and pull the scribe forward until it touches the shaft. Use the spring attachment arm to rotate the shaft 360 degrees. You should have a nice scribed line in the red lead. Carefully remove the tool without disturbing the scribed line. Set aside.

Pic 3: Clean the flats on the top and bottom of the knuckle housing and measure the distance between them. Write this down as measurement B
IMG_0920.jpg
IMG_0922.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg

Pic 4: Mount the spindle to the knuckle housing. Torque all bolts to spec 11-16 ft lb. (Make sure to get the right spindle mated to the correct knuckle. )

Pic 5: Install the rod assembly minus the spring arm and tighten the nuts just enough to allow the rod to be turned. Pull the scribe forward and again rotate the rod to scribe the second line.

Pic 6: Remove the rod assembly. Do not disturb the scribed lines. Secure the rod in a vice or something else and carefully measure the distance between the two scribed lines. This is where you can get off a bit. Measure it twice then let your buddy measure it. ;) Write this down as measurement D.

Now to get the TOTAL shim thickness (both top and bottom shims added together)

Total shim thickness (Call it C) C = A - B Write this down.

To get the BOTTOM shim thickness

Bottom Shim (Call it E) E = D - 3mm

To get the top shim thickness

Top Shim (Call it F) F = C - E

Totally confusing I know. Just read the instructions a few times. :D
IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_0931.jpg
IMG_0923.jpg

Coolerman, you are the master of documentation. Cheers!:beer:

can those instructions be put in the search thingo so we can refer to them later?that is very good coolerman,simple for dummies like me to understand,thanks for the trouble you went to

can those instructions be put in the search thingo so we can refer to them later?that is very good coolerman,simple for dummies like me to understand,thanks for the trouble you went to

The information is still in that other thread, but was also broken out into its own thread,

for the F A Q <---- this is a link

:beer:

I have been unable to find red lead in my area. I used a black grease pencil.

Also, Most folks may know this but I learned it in error. There are two different size centering bushings. Discs use a larger diameter one than drums.

By an odd chance of fate I did this very procedure today.
One hint, the inside of my axle tube was scored from people using seal removal tools. I used a cylinder hone to smooth the inside out so the sst wouldn't get bound in the axle.

Prussian Blue will work as well as grease...

:meh:
I think anything would work better than grease, removing the lower bearing wiped almost all of the mark off using yellow grease.
If I had to do it again I'd use machinist blue dye, I think it's then same thing Poser is talking about.

Thanks Poser!

Also I did not know there were two different size centering tools. My friend already had it set up when I got there. For clarification, does the kit comes with both sizes, or when you order the kit do you specify for drum or for disk?

Prussian Blue will work as well as grease...

:meh:

Dykem or machinist's blueing will work as well. It comes in a spray can. Comes off with solvent.

Thanks Poser!

Also I did not know there were two different size centering tools. My friend already had it set up when I got there. For clarification, does the kit comes with both sizes, or when you order the kit do you specify for drum or for disk?
No it does not. There are two different part numbers. I had the late set I borrowed from DSLTOY in Manchester, TN (Roger - you know him probably) and did my mini disc swap. On my frame off, I went to put on an MAF disc set up I got for a song and discovered the early model spindle was smaller. A friend owns a motorcycle shop and has his dad do machining at Budweiser for him. I gave him an early spindle and the large bushing as well as the center marking tool and he turned me one. That is the only piece that differs from part number to part number.

The part numbers are listed in the manuals. Mine are down in the man cave and I am drinking Land Cruiser wine and do not feel like going to check the numbers. Maybe later.

No it does not. There are two different part numbers. I had the late set I borrowed from DSLTOY in Manchester, TN (Roger - you know him probably) and did my mini disc swap. On my frame off, I went to put on an MAF disc set up I got for a song and discovered the early model spindle was smaller. A friend owns a motorcycle shop and has his dad do machining at Budweiser for him. I gave him an early spindle and the large bushing as well as the center marking tool and he turned me one. That is the only piece that differs from part number to part number.

The part numbers are listed in the manuals. Mine are down in the man cave and I am drinking Land Cruiser wine and do not feel like going to check the numbers. Maybe later.
Slacker.:rolleyes:

...what size caliper is required to take this measurement?

a caliper capable of measuring at least 6"

Hi

I would like to make one of these tools. I work in Malaysia at the moment and my truck is in Indonesia and I could get the tool made whilst at work. It would be nigh on impossible to get the tool where I am without waiting weeks for delivery.
So please forgive me I need some sizes if anyone can help
The shaft diameter is 17mm I believe therefore the end nuts will have to be 16mm
The spacers at the end of the shaft will be the same thickness as the trunnion/swivel caps, can anyone supple me these sizes?
The total length of the shaft would be the swivel housing plus the nuts and flat washers and a little bit extra. Can someone supply me the swivel housing outer dimension between the two bearing plates.

Finally the inner axle diameter and the stub axle inner diameter. This would enable me to make the tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom