elocker install - 40 series FF rear! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I'd post up some pics of my elocker install - I know there are a lot of writeups out there however I found that many contain a slight amount of bad info or at least info that doesn't apply to the landcruiser flavor of elocker. So here we go, enjoy the pics!

FJ80 Elocker Installtion In a Late Model FJ40 FF Rear Axle

There is a lot of conflicting info about the parts you need for this job, but I'm pretty sure I've sorted out what it takes. I don't know if there are differences between the late model full floaters and earlier ones, but this is what I needed:

FJ80 rear elocker third
*F/BJ70 long sline axle shaft (short side) (42311-60081)
2x long (50mm) F/BJ40 studs (90116-10075)
2x LONG (91mm) FJ80 studs (90116-10124)
Homebrew controller

Thats it. Some writeups suggest you need more new studs, others say you have to drill and tap the housing - Not so, and I've got the pics to prove it.

Step 1 - Get an elocker! There are a lot of "elockers" out there, but the one you want is from the rear axle of an FJ80. You cannot use the front diff from an FJ80, or the elockers from the smaller toyotas. Also, elocker thirds are now discontinued from Toyota so you HAVE to go used. Once upon a time you could get a locking third new for under a grand - no more. :meh:

elocker.jpg

Step 2 -You'll need to drill the flange for your driveshafts The FJ80 bolt pattern is just sliiightly different :)bang:). I took off the short half of one of my driveshafts clamped it to the elocker while its sitting on the bench, and used the holes in my flange to guide the drill. Worked perfectly - the race in the center of the DS flange will mate with the third flange and keep everything perfectly centered.

I forgot to take a pic, but here is the end result:

flange.jpg

Step 3 - Build the controller/harness. I think its best to do this now, so you can test the actuator, which are expensive and also known to occasionally get stuck. There are schematics all over the web, but I modified them a little bit:

schem.jpg

Note that the DPDT relays are intended to have the normal open contacts used and the normally closed contacts ignored.

The difference in this schematic is that most of the ones I saw on the web use a momentary switch, but I didn't want to have to hold the switch down while locking - I just wanted a Locked position and an Unlocked position. One of the other writeups out there is concerned that if the motor seizes up, a push-on/push-off switch could leave power on and burn up your wiring. My solution is to add a motor light, which illuminates whenever the motor is energized, as well as a lock light which lights when the locker physically locks. If the motor light ever gets stuck on, I'll just pull a fuse.

The finished controller:

cont2.jpg

cont1.jpg

I took these before I added the lights.

I was surprised how long the harness needed to be, so measure carefully. I routed my harness along the parking brake cable, to the frame crossmember, and then inside the frame to the cowl and into the throttle cable grommet. Split loom tubing makes everything look nice.

harness.jpg

Notice that I used a standard 6-position molex connector from radioshack on the locker end of the harness - the Toyota connectors are unique and I didn't feel like sourcing them. An alternative is a nice 7-position waterproof trailer connector, but in the end I decided it probably won't really matter. Time will tell if I'm right...

Anyway, whatever connector you use, you've gotta change the motor and lock switch connections. The motor is easy:

connector1.jpg

connector2.jpg

connector3.jpg

The lock switch is tougher as there are no leads - I just reached my soldering iron down into it and soldered my wires right to the connector pins.

connector4.jpg

connector5.jpg

At this point you should test out your actuator. Its boring, but if you care to see, here is a youtube video of mine:
YouTube - Toyota elocker actuator

You can see at the end of my video the actuator gets stuck - this was what happens when you have a low voltage battery and a sticky actuator. I ended up taking my actuator all apart to grease things, but think carefully about doing so - the whole thing is spring loaded and its gonna look like a bomb went off in a clock factory. I won't go into it, but if you do disassemble your actuator and lose the relative positions of the cogs, you'll need to know the the "unlocked" position is ~2 1/8 to 2 3/16" extension and the locked position should be about 2 7/8 to 3 1/8" extension.

This is what's in there, so you don't have to go looking:

motor1.jpg

motor2.jpg

Now for the fun parts!

Step 4 - Remove the old third! Everyone probably knows by now this only works for FF rear axles, so I was able to do all of this with the truck on its own tires. Start by draining the diff and pulling the shafts. You can see the comparison between the regular axle shaft on the top, and the long-splined axle shaft from a BJ70. The axle shaft you need is Toyota p/n

drain.jpg

shafts.jpg

Then use a jack to break the third loose from its cement-like gasket. I left the nuts on the ends of the studs so the the third couldn't fall off.

jack.jpg

Last edited:
Step 5 - Modify the housing. This is controversial, as the established wisdom is that you have to cut a notch in the housing and drill and tap new studs. You do not have to drill and tap any holes, NOR do you have to notch the housing. The third is a SUPER tight fit if you don't notch the housing, however it WILL go in - its just so damn heavy that its a real pain. I decided I was going to notch things anyway, just to make future removal easier if it comes to that. Here is a picture from the top showing how much the locking collar pokes over the flange. You might be able to imagine how you could sneak this in place, but if not just trust me, it CAN be done:

clearance.jpg

Since I decided to notch the housing anyway, I used the tried and true gasket-as-a-template method:

gasket.jpg

Grinding the housing, especially while the axle is in the truck, sucks. Thats just my opinion, I know some of you guys are thinking "just pull out the Portable Sun 5000 Plasma Fusion Machete" but I only have an angle grinder and this just plain blows. That thing is like 1/2" thick!

grind.jpg

grind2.jpg

grind3.jpg

Don't forget to clean the hell out of it when you're done.

Step 6 - Install longer studs Inexplicably, I was told I needed three different kinds of studs, including one (!) of an intermediate length. Turns out only four studs need to be replaced - the old third is held on with some short studs and some long ones, you need two more of the longer kind, plus two VERY long ones that go through the motor portion of the locker.

In green are the studs to replace with the LONG kind (toyota p/n 90116-10124). In blue are the ones that need to be replaced with the not-quite-so-long type (toyota p/n 90116-10075). The blue studs will be the same length as the studs circled in grey, which you already have.

studs.jpg

Step 7 - Install it!! I had a friend come over to wrestle the thing in with me, but you could use a jack of some kind. I may have been imagining it, but I think the elocker third is a good bit heavier than the stock ones - I wouldn't have been able to do this on my own. Maybe you can, I dunno.

Note that you need to have it in the "locked" position for it to clear the housing (notch or no). I didn't want to hook up my harness and everything to lock it, but I'd recommend you to do just that. Instead I took off the switch cover and disconnected the fork so I could slide it locked manually. This was kinda a pain in the ass because the actuator is spring loaded so reattaching the fork isn't so simple as just popping the screw back in the shaft. If you do this, resist the urge to bump the motor with some battery voltage unless you're extremely careful - you can drive the motor past the electrical limit switches and be forced to disassemble the whole bit to fix it.

in.jpg

Then reinstall the axle shafts, refill the diff with 80W-90 and you're done with the mechanical bits.

Step 8 - Run the harness Start at the third and run the harness forward so you get the length right. I ran the harness from the third up the parking brake cable to the frame crossmember, into the frame rail, up the firewall, and into the throttle cable grommet:

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

Step 9 - Make something pretty I made a little bracket for my indicator lights and the locker switch out of some scrap steel and painted it black because paint conceals poor workmanship.

bracket.jpg

bracket2.jpg

I just happened to have a reject knob laying around that I had made for someone else, so I snapped it on. (AHEM AHEM SHAMELESS PLUG SEE SIGNATURE LINE :) )

knob.jpg

And then finally I mounted the controller to the size of the cowl underneath the dash, and hung the switch bracket by my hand throttle:

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

DONE!!

Wow, that was long, sorry. I hope this helps someone, as I was a bit confused at times sorting out what parts I needed and which info applied to a 40-swap. Good luck!

nice write up i did a quick search on the 80 series elocker. and it came up with two different part numbers for the lexus .is there a difference in the lexus lockers ?? while the landcruiser listed the same part number for all years ,could there be a newer number for the same locker?? what might they have changed for the lexus model? see pic
diff lock (Medium).JPG

Fantastic write-up. I think I have read this someplace and it says it will not work . . . would their be any issues with installing the same locekr in the front of a 60 series axle?

No. No problem installing an FJ80 rear elocker into a 40/55/60 front axle. FJBen did a '60 and I did a '40.

I used FZJ80/FJ80 '93-'97 rear electric locking diff; 9.25" ring gear that fits into the front of my 1977 FJ40 with stock diff gears, 4.11 is p/n: 41110-60351.

Front Axle:
PN: 43412-60060, the front Long side inner axle from a 70 series, pre 1991, non-us

Long sells a chromo axle that I have my eye on.

I posted pics of my cracked actuator a few years back and the custom IPOR actuator skidplate that I had them make me to avoid a repeat. Something to think of with these babies getting extinct.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The good news is that the test drive (morning commute :-D) went perfectly, no funny noises, etc.

I took it out to a dirt lot to try the locker out and while the actuator worked fine, it didn't seem to lock (no lock light). Its possible that my switch is damaged as my elocker suffered a drop at the salvage yard. I'll have to play with it, maybe I'll jack one wheel up tonight.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

The good news is that the test drive (morning commute :-D) went perfectly, no funny noises, etc.

I took it out to a dirt lot to try the locker out and while the actuator worked fine, it didn't seem to lock (no lock light). Its possible that my switch is damaged as my elocker suffered a drop at the salvage yard. I'll have to play with it, maybe I'll jack one wheel up tonight.

It won't lock instantly. You need to lock it.. Then drive it 10 feet or so..then it should lock etc.

Did you test the solenoid before installing?

It won't lock instantly. You need to lock it.. Then drive it 10 feet or so..then it should lock etc.

Yeah, I know, I even drove in a slow circle.

Did you test the solenoid before installing?

Yep, I even posted a video ^^. But I know the actuator is fine, as I can see/hear the motor shut off and reach the limit switch. The fork is the spring loaded and I should just have to wait for it to ::snick:: into place - either thats not happening or the switch just isn't reading right. Should be no biggie.

Sweet job. It is remote that it is going to happen, but those molex connectors might allow things to go screwy if you go through a water crossing or they get really wet in the mud. Silicon up all the wires on the back side of each connector to be safe. That or apply liberal amounts of liquid or spray electrical tape.

Very well done writeup. Can I get a F-A-Q????

Any plans to do the front also?

Dan

Yes.

Someone on here, Fast Eddy, I think, punched a hole in their 2F oil pan because the elocker motor sticks too high up. Looking at the 3B, the two "missing" cylinders means it looks like there is just enough room that the motor will clear the engine even in the worst dune-jump conditions. I need to measure to be sure, and then buy another elocker...

Yes.

Someone on here, Fast Eddy, I think, punched a hole in their 2F oil pan because the elocker motor sticks too high up. Looking at the 3B, the two "missing" cylinders means it looks like there is just enough room that the motor will clear the engine even in the worst dune-jump conditions. I need to measure to be sure, and then buy another elocker...

Amaurer,
Great write up. I have looked around a bit and while there is alot on e lockers very little of it was on them going into 40s. Couple of questions:

Sourcing:
Given that these are discontinued by the factory and I'm stuck overseas, got any suggestions on sources where I could order a set for front and back?

Rear:
I see that you used the long side, long splined inner from a 70 series. The local dealership may or may not have that in stock, if not it means ordering it from Japan. As a plan B would you think that the long splined Poly performance rears inners would be a workable substitute?

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_drivetrain_driveshaft.htm

Thanks,
John

Oh BTW if I can get this all together I'll order the replica switches and the bracket and light setup from you as well.
Cheers

I'm jealous.

(You sure been busy lately!)

I'm jealous.

(You sure been busy lately!)

Tom,
I am so breaking my neck to get stuff on and done. As soon as I can take a break and organize my thoughts I'll get it all into the build thread. Right now I'm trying to get a better handle on these as an option to ARB. I have three months to go before the mud/rainy season and really want the rig to be done and ready.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom