Rig of the Week (ROTW) January 19th 2009 (FJ40 1976) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry, I am a day late, been under the weather here. In any case, here is my 1976 FJ40. I fell in love with this Land Cruiser soon after I bought it. I have, much to the dissatisfaction of my wife, been a frequent buyer and seller of old cars. After owning and driving a few International Harvester Scouts (300s), I bought this FJ40 about 2-3 years ago. It had about 12K original miles when I found it in Memphis TN. After driving it back and spending a few weeks to get to know it better I was excited by the way it handled. It seemed to take about two blocks to stop the old IHs. This handled, in comparison like a dream. At some point, I decided this is a car I would like to keep. I wish I could say that I restored it myself, but I did not. I sent it out to the west coast (Oregon, FJ40 Restorations) to have it completely restored. It seems like the restoration took nearly 1.5 years. If you take a look at their websites you can see that they literally unweld every single part, clean, treat, repair and put it back together. It was pretty much kept in original condition, I only made a few modifications to improve driveablilty. Things I upgraded included: (1) AC from Cool Cruisers; (2) Old Man Emu suspension; (3) Saginaw Power steering; (4) a PTO winch.

This FJ40 looks even better in person. I am very excited about this. I suppose the downside is the number of small issues that I have had to tend to. I suppose when you tear something down to the extent it was, you have to deal with working the bugs out. Currently, I am going thru it from front to back, improving some of the little points and making adjustments as needed.

My current projects are: (a) fixing an oil pan leak; (b) figuring out why the PTO winch appears to go in one direction (reverse) and not the other. By the way I bought the PTO set up from CruiserParts.net, never did seem to get the whole setup (e.g., the driveshaft), and I fear that I have the wrong gearbox for a 4 speed. I will probably contact them soon to see if they are willing to help fix the problem and supply remaining part (they have been responsive to me in the past, but I will let you know how this turns out); (c) putting in a BRAND new AM radio that I found in Japan; and (d) figuring out why the brake warning light on the dash doesn't work as it should. Would really like to find someone I could trust in Texas that could help me solve some of these problems.

In any case, a few months ago I almost sold it (this would have been a big mistake). But I have enjoyed tinkering with it. Well enjoy the pictures... and if anyone has an idea about what to do with the PTO winch, let me know. I did disconnect the linkage and try and move the push lever in to engage a "forward" position, but it does not engage.

Thanks,

Don
FJ4022.JPG
FJ4018.JPG
FJ404.JPG

Here are a few more pictures....

More pictures... Thanks, Don:D
FJ407.JPG
FJ402.JPG
FJ4012.JPG

absolutely beautiful.

I know what you mean. I just finished a 3 year frame off on my truck and I love it but i am also working the bugs out also. WHen something comes apart in so many pieces there is definatly a stage of fine tuning like you said.

I see you went and actually coated the inside seams of the front doors also. I just got done doing this as well so when water drains through the holes in the bottom it doesn't start rusting again like it did from the factory.

Its interesting how you made the comparison between the IH scouts and the fj40s handling. I wouldn't have thought there would be a huge difference.

I do have a question, with the lift do you feel you have alot of body roll, you said it handles great, so when you are cornering do you feel still in good control?

Contgrats on getting your cruiser back, its always cool to see another person thrilled with driving these things the way they are.

-okie

Last edited:
That cruiser is beautiful well worth the wait. There are a few toyota shops in texas{its a big place} but have no personal experince with any of them to point you in a direction. Besides what is a cruiser without a few minor issues, and does anyone really have one? Good luck and enjoy that baby

Thanks for the question... regarding the lift. I opted for only 1.5 inch lift (for the fears that you indicate) and did not get crazy with the tires. As a result, it feels in great. Interesting that you should ask though, because I think that the power steering has been the biggest issue to get used to. At higher speeds I think I began oversteering it, after spending years wrestling the manual steering! In short, I find the 1.5 lift not much different...

Wow! I know you must be loving driving it around.....You probably get the "what year is it?" then the "no way man!"......Looks really nice.....

OH!!! I so want to grow up and be just like your LC. Sweet ride. What color is the cruiser. Please let us know.

I am in San Antonio Texas, and the color is the DUNE Beige (not just Beige, which is more yellow). Thanks

Awesome! I am starting a frame off restoration on a '77. It has the factory pto winch. Mine was not mounted on the cruiser when I got it. Could you send more detailed pictures of the mounting all the way from the transmission to the winch. I am going to take it down to the frame and back. I will not be taking apart every weld as it was in very good shape to start with and I do not have the tools, time or money to brake every weld. My email is mcdonald51698@bellsouth.net. Thanks and it looks great.

Thanks for the color answer. I am painting mine Coranado beige which is very close to Dune beige. I think there is a bit more color in Dune Beige. Great rig again.

gorgeous!!!!

What can I say but....Stunning !!:cheers:

very nice, very very nice.

Glad you did not sell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom