Rear Disc Conversion - hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the front conversion firmly locked into my brain very simple job even for a techno novice like me (Thanks to Ih8 Mud)

When it comes to the rear axle is it possible to convert using front hilux parts as it is possible to do a rear disc conversion on a lux with an adapter.

Could the same (Hilux) adapter be used on the 41/45 rear axles.

Please bear in mind if I'm wrong that my Lcs are currently parked in a muddy yard and I havn't had time or the inclination to crawl under them at the moment.

If so happy days as I've got loads of hilux axles

Thanks

Having done both conversions, they will not interchange.

Most people use GM roters and they get adpters for rear discs for the 40 cruisers. I am not aware of adapters for the Hilux, they call them Mini trucks in the USA.
The backing plates on the rear cruiser axles are bolted to their brackets independent from the bearings and shafts, while on the hilux the bolts hold everything together ,backing plates,bearings and shafts.
Now for rear discs on cruisers using the hilux parts.
1- A lot of people shy from it, because of the fixed Toyota caliper and the c cilps that hold the axle shafts into the differential.So they go for a floating calipers type discs.
2- To do the conversion with TOY calipers , the biggest problem is finding Toy rotors that can be slipped over the front of the axle flange rather that behind it. I was not successful in finding such rotors so I went with land cruiser rotors that have to be pressed into the axle flange with the 6 wheel bolts. This means axles shafts have to come out.
3- The brackets to hold the calipers , I had to install them using the 6 backing plate bolts, evrything becomes very tight and there is hardly room for error.
4- The conclusion, I would advise you to go with norm and use the GM stuff, plenty on that on this site, just do some search.
5- All the above apllies to the semi float rear axles where the e-brake is on the transfer case. This is my opinion and I not an expert so take for what it is worth.
Vic

Thank you very much for the advice
Darren

This is on my 82 Mini with Toyota Front Calipers installed on the rear.

Dave from Dave'z Off Road Performance - Specializing in Toyota Trucks installed it.

Here is the build up on the truck DavezOffRoadPerformance.com • View topic - New Project Truck (was pinion angle)

The rear axle is off of a 1988. Not sure if your rear axle is the same or not.
Dave
022708 Rear Disc 2.jpg

Dave[/quote]

Rear axles over here are the same on a hilux or mini from 84-97 just the drum is bigger from 89 (can't get my head round that word mini, but I suppose by US standards my lux is a mini)

Will keep this info for my hilux rear disc swap
Thanks great stuff

Do you have a SF or FF rear axle over there?

Semi/Full floater havn't got to the bottom of this yet. The Mk1,2 and 3 (79-97) lux axles I deal with are leaf sprung being their only point of contact with the chassis except for a torsion bar on the front axle. I'm guessing they're full floaters??

aaaa104.jpg

Its not to do with the sprigs, its about the hubs.. The front are FF, they have a spindle and 2 hub bearings in a hub.. The rear of a hilux is SF, they have an axle that has a flange that the wheel mounts on and is supported by one bearing.. A FF cruiser axle has a similar setup to a front axle, that is it has a spindle with 2 bearings and a hub.. In this configuration the axle shaft supports no weight of the vehicle like in SF, it only transmits drive to the hub..

Its not to do with the sprigs, its about the hubs.. The front are FF, they have a spindle and 2 hub bearings in a hub.. The rear of a hilux is SF, they have an axle that has a flange that the wheel mounts on and is supported by one bearing.. A FF cruiser axle has a similar setup to a front axle, that is it has a spindle with 2 bearings and a hub.. In this configuration the axle shaft supports no weight of the vehicle like in SF, it only transmits drive to the hub..

On it thanks so full floater is the way to go:cheers:

This is on my 82 Mini with Toyota Front Calipers installed on the rear.

Dave from Dave'z Off Road Performance - Specializing in Toyota Trucks installed it.

Here is the build up on the truck DavezOffRoadPerformance.com • View topic - New Project Truck (was pinion angle)

Dave

Dave

Rear axles over here are the same on a hilux or mini from 84-97 just the drum is bigger from 89 (can't get my head round that word mini, but I suppose by US standards my lux is a mini)

Will keep this info for my hilux rear disc swap
Thanks great stuff[/quote]
------------------------------------------

What about the e-brake?
Look at the calipers in the attatched pic, they offer e-brakes.
Vic
Supracalipers.jpg

Last edited:
What about the e-brake?
Look at the calipers in the attatched pic, they offer e-brakes.
Vic[/quote]

Nothing like that over here didn't consider that factor when I embarked on this thread :whoops:

Yes, but does your 40 have SF or FF rear axle?

Will have a look now I know what I'm looking for. And update as soon as

It's what those of us in the know would refer to as a Semi Floater ;) same as the hilux's over here

But I think you troopie has a full floater, if the diffs are the same that might be a good swap?

Quote from your first thread.

EDIT: - Can't see but is the rear axle on the FJ45 full floater, nice if it is.

EDIT: - Looks like the FJ45 was Australian (Q at the end) so that should be a full floater, BJ41 was Japanese market. Should be a second plate this the years and engine numbers perhaps?

Well, I'll point you to it anyway.. This is the conversion I've done.. I had a FF axle originally.. Rather than using vented rotors I used solid hilux rotors and hilux front calipers.. Rather than using washers under the stud heads I made a 12mm wheel spacer.. I'll eventually change it to 6mm..

Rear Full Floater Disk Brake Conversion

That's an excellent write up mate printed and filed away thanks

But I think you troopie has a full floater, if the diffs are the same that might be a good swap?

Quote from your first thread.
Troopy is a semi I'm afraid had a crawl under it this morning
fjhubs1.jpg

fjhubs2.jpg

fjhubs3.jpg

fjhubs4.jpg

Get a picture from the outside of the wheel, if it's a FF the hub will protrude like the front wheel does.

Picture of Matt Mcinnes attahced, did find a better photo to demonstrate the difference but I like this one better.

Looks quite clean under there, not that much rust on the linkages etc. are both frames good?
matt mcinnes full float.jpg

Get a picture from the outside of the wheel, if it's a FF the hub will protrude like the front wheel does.

Picture of Matt Mcinnes attahced, did find a better photo to demonstrate the difference but I like this one better.

Looks quite clean under there, not that much rust on the linkages etc. are both frames good?

Yes sure the rear wheel does protude like that so I've got a ff and I can do vk7s conversion. Feel like such a dummy :eek:

Chassis wise they are pretty good my landscaping work is dying off now so will have new year into January on my trucks. Doing a cab swap on my other hilux then breaking the donor hilux then will make a start on the LCs.

Will be sorting out disc conversion components soon if you're interested sure it was you who mentioned it in an earlier post.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom