Anyone ever put a FJ80 steering box on a FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like it would fit just forward of the radiator on the outside of the frame. And it looks like removing the web off the inside of the shock tower will let the steering shaft clear. All in all it looks like it would have good geometry with a stock suspension setup - I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this before I start cutting.

That's a really nice rig. Why did you change out all of the original linkage? I've been planning on getting a custom tie rod with a 80 series TRE on the pitman arm end and and a 40 series on the other and leaving the rest alone. Seems to be less hassle and expense. Was there an advantage to replacing everything with the 75 and 60 series parts?

I think I'm also going to stick with the original 40 column and TIG a half of a U-Joint in place of the flange that's there now. The 60 series U-joints I have look to be weldable cast steel to me, but I'll find out for sure when I get one chucked in the lathe and start to machine it.

Thanks mate. Never thought of doing it the way you describe, but I have seen writeups on here using minitruck boxes in the std. location and keeping all original links.

Main reason for getting rid of the std linkages was just to simplify things, reduce the amount of slop thats possible when things start to get worn, and have some more room for my shocks on the drivers side.

I hate my column! Looks terrible! Wish I stuck with the std. one and modified it to suit, so defintley go that way.

Well I got one of the U-Joints chucked up in the lathe and it's definitly maleable steel, so welding to the bottom of the stock column will be no problem. How much trimming did you need to do on the fender to clear the steering box?

It's hard to make out from the pics, but it looks like you have the U-Joint on the steering box right at the shock tower, how much of a problem did you have with interference there?

Sure - Happy to do so but don't expect anything right away. I broke my ankle last week and they want me in for surgery right away, so the only rig I'll be working on for a while looks to be a wheelchair.

Ouch! Good luck with the recovery. My brother snapped his ankle on our trampoline when we were kids, it just turned under him, ended up with a pin to hold it all together.

I'll try to post up pics on mine too, but i'm about to be a dad so it might be a while as well.

Todd

Sorry it's been so long. My ankle injury recovery took longer than I would have expected, and there has been a dearth of warm weather to work in. But it's finally warming up and I got RIF'd, so I'm back on the project and have some photos to post.

I made a scab plate about 12 inches long out of 1/4 mild steel and welded a trimmed down Ford shock tower to it.

box_mount1.jpg

Here is the mounting location

box_rail_loc.jpg

With the plate welded in place

box_out1.jpg

box_in1.jpg

And with the box mounted

box_in2.jpg

box_top2.jpg

Here is the shaft I made out of FJ55 steering shaft parts, it clears the manifolds with lots of daylight to spare.

Box_shaft_installed.jpg

For linkage, I just took the right side of my FJ40's relay rod, turned down a bit of the end so it would slip into the left half of an FJ60 TRE and shaft and welded it together.

Box_relay_rod.jpg

That's about it. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom