3sp flywheel with 4sp trans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I know one needs the 4sp bell housing to swap a 4 for a 3, but what about the flywheel? Can I retain my 3sp fw and pp?

thanks
mark...

Yep... '74s came with 4spd.trans and bell housing, but had 3 spd flywheel and clutch components........

3 speed

Yep u can keep 3spd flywheel and clutch or change every thing to 4spd.:)

Hi All:

When swapping from a "three-speed (J30)" to a "four speed (H41/42) transmission" one must not only change out the bellhousing, but also the pressure plate, flywheel, clutch shift fork, shift fork pivot, and so on.

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok so I know one needs the 4sp bell housing to swap a 4 for a 3, but what about the flywheel? Can I retain my 3sp fw and pp?

thanks
mark...

I disagree. I believe you can keep a 3-speed pressure plate, etc....when putting a 4-speed tranny in.

Hi All:

When swapping from a "three-speed (J30)" to a "four speed (H41/42) transmission" one must not only change out the bellhousing, but also the pressure plate, flywheel, clutch shift fork, shift fork pivot, and so on.

Regards,

Alan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to have 4-speed everything... I tried, it doesnt work.

Well, seems we have a difference of opinion here. Zulu... what about it didnt work? Anyone actually DONE this keeping the 3sp fw and pp?

thanks
Mark...

Well, seems we have a difference of opinion here. Zulu... what about it didnt work? Anyone actually DONE this keeping the 3sp fw and pp?

thanks
Mark...

Yes.

They are interchangeable.

I have installed four speed transmissions into three speed clutch and flywheel assemblies without issue.

The transmission does not know the difference between the three-finger pressure plate and flywheel assembly, versus the diaphragm pressure plate and flywheel assembly. You need to use the corresponding release bearing and fork assembly for the clutch and flywheel assembly you decide to use. Three speed clutch fork and throw out bearing must be used with the three speed clutch assembly and the same is true for the four speed configuration.

Besides, Toyota used the three speed style clutch and flywheel assembly on the 1974 40 series from the factory.

:beer:

You have to have 4-speed everything... I tried, it doesnt work.

Sorry. I still think I'm right. My Pig came as a '74. 4-speed bellhousing, everything else was 3-speed...3-finger pressureplate, throw-out bearing and all. Led to some confusion at times but I learned this..."If you use ALL the matching (year) components, you can switch from the 3-speed to the 4-speed stuff."
(I farmed my first engine rebuild to Danny Warden, but forgot to bring him my pressure plate. He threw in a diaphragm-type when it went to the balance shop. so I had to switch everything to 4-speed on re-installation. I (like to think) I know I know this answer...

Got one in my '64.

Got one in my '65.

Got one in my '68.

Nuf said.:)

My '75 4spd. truck has the 3spd flywheel and clutch, the PO installed it claiming the 3spd flywheel is heavier and produces more torque :cool:

Did mine on a 2/71. Full write up on my web site. Used all three speed stuff and no issues. At least none putting it all together.

If you don't count the fact I somehow managed to put the clutch disk in backwards.... :rolleyes::eek:

[RANT ON]
There's not a "3speed clutch" or a "4speed clutch".
There's no "F flywheel" or "2F flywheel".

There simply is "F series clutch, coil type" or "F series clutch, diaphragm type".

In the real world, 4 speed tranny was available as an option from ~1970-on.
3 speed tranny was available from ~1962-1983.

F engine was E-12/74.
2F was 01/75-~1984.

Coil spring clutch was used E-7/74.
Diaphragm clutch was used 8/74-newer.

Looking at the change dates, we see that:
There were 3 speed trannies w/ coil spring or diaphragm clutches.
There were 4 speed trannies w/ coil spring or diaphragm clutches.

There were 3 speeds behind F or 2F engines
There were 4 speeds behind F or 2F engines.

F engines were available w/ coil or diaphragm clutches.
2F engines were only available w/ diaphragm clutch.
3F engines were only available w/ diaphragm clutch.
[/RANT OFF]

HTH

I blew through two throughout bearings in 2 months cause the PP was different. If everyone else is saying it works though, go for it. Maybe I just had bad luck...

I blew through two throughout bearings in 2 months cause the PP was different. If everyone else is saying it works though, go for it. Maybe I just had bad luck...

You must use the corresponding throw out bearing for the style of pressure plate this is installed. They do not interchange as they are two completely different styles and sizes.

Also, if the clutch slave cylinder is not adjusted properly, the throw out bearing will always ride on the pressure plate and wear out considerably faster than it should.

Okay, Isn't the ID of the T/O bearing different between 3-speed and 4-speed? Its quite possible the PO of my rig mickey-moused my old setup together giving me the confusion, but I'm 100% sure I had to get a new colllar when i went to 4-speed.

Okay, Isn't the ID of the T/O bearing different between 3-speed and 4-speed? Its quite possible the PO of my rig mickey-moused my old setup together giving me the confusion, but I'm 100% sure I had to get a new colllar when i went to 4-speed.

Based on FJ40Jim's very thorough compilation, you would HAVE to conclude that the ID of the two bearings is the same. It is.

The only time I've seen a different ID is when the trans has been used at some point behind a V-8. The front bearing retainer is often turned down to a smaller O.D. to accept a Chevy T.O. bearing. Perhaps this is what you encountered.

Best

Mark A.

I'll join the bandwagon and say "You can do it"!
The biggest difference in the flywheels is the early models had a step in the surface where as the laster flywheels were completely flat. I'm running a 1F flywheel on a 2F with a 4 speed, no problems.

The biggest difference in the flywheels is the early models had a step in the surface where as the laster flywheels were completely flat.

The later flywheels are supposed to have a small step as well (the pressure plate alignment pins are just pressed in). It should be a 0.020" step down around the outer edge, but I've seen it suggested that 0.030 or 0.040 may help with clamping force while not adversely affecting the release function.

Your machinist ought to be able to look that up for you. Otherwise I'd find a new machinist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom