Most pliable aftermarket suspension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Notice I said "pliable", soft sounds too wimpy. Anyway, would like to get some recomendations on what would be the best way to go fast(er) down bumpy, rutted backroads without shaking the crap out of either me or the rig? I wont be going to coils or anything like that (I dont think), but am going to be in the market for an aftermarket spring set in the forseeable future. Reason being is I live down one of these roads and traverse it on occasion several times per day and eat up quite a bit of time just taking my time. I would like to go whizzing along like my neighbor does in his new Prado. As you can clearly see, the "wheeling" demands I place on my 40 are extreme indeed, so I hope you all will help me to take the existing technology to it´s limits to enable me to achieve my lofty goals. I will be sure to reward you all with a youtube or two demonstrating my driving prowess, screaming down a bumpy sand road at speeds approaching 50mph without spilling my Redbull. :steer: BTW, wouldnt longer springs be better?

Cheers Matey´s

OME

OME has the rep for a good ride--they focus on that

OME= OLD MAN EMU

alternatively offer your neighbor a hundred bucks to slow down---- that'd be cheaper!

OldManEmu.com

wouldnt longer springs be better?

That'd be a bandaid cuz you still need to rid yer rig of those awful leafs. Besides 2 ton trucks, do you see any automakers using them on the front of their products? If you have a small budget, try some suspension seats first. If that still rattles you, I'd look into a coil conversion. You can do it being frugal scrounging parts from a heep TJ, but this mod takes alotta time & you gotta be equipped w/ a 220V welder. The biggest expense is the link mat'l & joints. I'm on my 2nd coil conversion now & I say it's well worth the effort. So, read up on various conversions & study different setups to find the best solution for your Cruzah :D

regardless what you do burning down a rutted road is not going to be smooth.

x2 OME

they were supposedly made for those aussie washboard roads, but that could be a good selling trick. even though that selling trick worked on me.. :hmm: or go for a set of alcan springs..

Oh pish-posh, I owned a 79 Scout with Duetchtechs on it that was not at all uncomfortable to drive under conditions like that. I'm quite sure that what I want to do can be done with a good set of leaf springs. Parabolics might do the trick, or swap in springs from a longer wheelbased landcruiser (longer parabolics???). The coils would be great but I dont want to ask the mechanics here to do anything too complicated. They'd get the job done but it wouldn't ever drive straight again. Yah well lots of info here in the dank recesses of the archives, will get into it. Or then again, maybe Ill just take posers advice and buy a new Prado and get custom plates that say "Durka" in honor of his inspiring suggestion.

If the trip is not too far then the CHEAPEST way to make for a smoother ride is to let the air out of your tires to the point that your speed vs. distance does not heat the tires up too bad.

You could install a HUMVEE air up system too. :D

Some other ideas: Remove your springs. clean them, paint them and slip plate them. Makes the much flexier... :grinpimp:

looking at the other side of the coin....if this is the only road you have issues with, why not grade it, using your 40 of course. A plow set up front and a drag out back....periodically maintain the road and charge the neighbors for the privilege.

OME

I have a set of the "soft" OME on my 75 FJ, works well but I think everything is relative ;)

What year? :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

I've got a '69 ;)

If your not intent on lifting it Coolerman's idea is a good one.
caddy02-2.jpg

What you are hitting is lots of small bumps. Lowering your airpressure will help immediately. New softer or adjustable (automatic ones like rancho rsx?) shocks would also help.

The other thing is springs.
an example first....My friend had an old 4" superjackerhighsumpin spring lift. It beat your kidneys bad. Turns out no only were the springs really stiff but his confer super duty shackles were stopping his spring travel. The reinforcement rib in the middle of his 3/8" lift:rolleyes: shackles was hitting his rear shackle hanger half way through his suspension travel. Also his shocks were too stiff (he had 33x9.5 tires on it) for the small tires he had.

Are your springs sagged out so you are hitting your bumpstops on potholes?
My old 2.5" ranchos were super soft cause they were worn out. Smooth ride till you hit a good pothole then you'd bottom out and it was pretty jarring.

My wagoneer springs that I use at all four corners are really soft. They also have those slip pads at the end of each leaf which helps quite a bit.

Heres a test for ya.
1)Air down your tires to a responsible level and test it out on the road. If you can find a level that works both on the gravel and the pavement safely then you are good to go.
2)If that doesn't help you may need to take your shocks off and drive down the gravel road (CAREFULLY!!!) to see how the shocks were affecting the ride. If its really smooth then find some adjustable or auto adjusting shocks and try them out. My RS9000s are still slightly soft on the stiffest setting so I bet on #1 they'd be really soft.

btw, the best ride I've ever gotten out of my cruiser came as a result of SOA, SR, waggoneer springs at all four corners, RS9000s, and BIG FAT 38.5"x14.5" swampers that are usually at about 7psi. Gravel roads are nice and smooth.

From what I'm told, Skyjackers and Downeys give about the best ride ( they should, they're built to stock spring rate). The bigger issue, however, is shocks and their ability to screw-up an otherwise nice riding spring. I won't preach brand name, I think most of you have already figured out who builds poo-poo shocks. What I will preach is ALWAYS using the softest shock money can buy on the rear. The front end gets 9 times more forces than the rear end, plus heavy motor up front, empty bed out back. You can't imagine how soft your rear shocks need to be, you almost don't need shocks on the rear. The best way to guarantee a horrible ride is to put the same valved shocks on the rear that you put on the front

A Cadillac is a good suspension upgrade for ride-quality. :flipoff2:
stay with your own kind and get the lexus suspension upgrade.. ride smooth and luxurious not like a grandma!

get some plush warming leatherseats, navigation, and IFS..... wait a minute, i am describing 100 series.:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom