A South African BJ40 rebuild into a FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A South African BJ40 Total rebuild into an FJ40

Hi Guys

I've been lurking here for quite a while, stealing with my eyes.

In February of 2007 I bought a 1979 BJ40 in Brisbane Australia, took a while, but eventually got it shipped to South Africa

In February 08 I started stripping it down for a complete rebuild, and as I have a total dislike for diesel engines I decided to swap out the B diesel and transplant the trusty old 2F

Here I will document my rebuild so far

The 40 parked at a friends house in Brisbane Australia
10048-picture373.jpg

This was the condition of the 2F motor when I received it
10048-dscn0063_1.jpg

Before I pulled it appart, I installed a set of 4" Heystee Parabolic springs and an ARB front bar.
10048-dscn0214_1.jpg
10048-dscn0230_1.jpg

I did a complete rebuild of the 2F before I started to strip the 40
The rebuild involved a rebore and replacing, pistons, rings, all bearings, all oil seals, camshaft reground for torque, fully dynamically balanced, new oil pump, new water pump, reconditioned the dizzie and fitted Pertronix eletronic ignition, skimmed flywheel, new clutch, pressure plate, thrust bearing and spigot bearing. The head was rebuilt and valve seats where changed to ones compatable with unleaded fuel.
The motor just before it was finished
10048-rb_2f_2.jpg

Then I started to pull it all apart.
10048-dscn0246_1.jpg
10048-dscn0262_1.jpg

10048-dscn0281_1.jpg
10048-dscn0282_1.jpg

10048-chass1.jpg
10048-chass4.jpg

I sent the body to a friend that has a body shop - for the rust removal and repainting
10048-004~0.jpg
10048-005.jpg

10048-006.jpg
10048-008.jpg

I decided to repaint the 40 in Rustic green Colour code 631
Here are some of the body parts as the painter finished painting them
10048-013.jpg
10048-011.jpg

10048-012.jpg
DSC07310.JPG

DSC07311.JPG

Last edited:
The work continued

The naked chassis before sandblasting
dscn0382_1.jpg

The tub once I got it home
dscn0383_1.jpg

The chassis after sandblasting.
dscn0388_1.jpg

The axles where completely stripped sandblasted (outside only) then painted with Rust Bullet
dscn0387_1.jpg

When I istalled the Heystee parabolic springs there was a serious issue with the shackle angles and as I was intending to keep the parabolic springs I decided to move the chassis shackle mount to achieve a better shackle angle as mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

dscn0389_1.jpg
dscn0398_1.jpg

I also removed the standard steering box mount as Im fitting 60 series power steering, this mod also required the removal of the existing front shock towers

dscn0391_1.jpg
dscn0392_1.jpg

And the removal of the diesel engine mounts

dscn0393_1.jpg
dscn0394_1.jpg

More sandblasted components, some with rust holes that needed to be welded up.
sb1.jpg
sb2.jpg

The new shock towers that I made up

dscn0409_1.jpg
dscn0411_1.jpg

The completed motor with transmission as used for the laying out and positioning of the new engine mounts

dscn0412_1.jpg

The diffs, after I fitted the ARB Air Lockers

dscn0416_1.jpg

The chassis after it had been Rust Bulleted and blacked.

dscn0430_s.jpg
dscn0431_s.jpg

All brackets, nuts, bolts, washers and pip[es have been re- yellow passivated.

bolts1~0.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, neat! A first- diesel to gas. Nice looking truck. You must not have any problems vis a vis import regs and stuff like that, like most of us do? Keep the pics coming! :cheers:Ned

No real problems, just the normal rego and homologation red tape

The work continued;

Painted chassis with suspension and axles installed.

dscn0433_s.jpg

dscn0434_s.jpg
dscn0435_s.jpg

Then I rebuilt the brakes, and all steering knuckles, bearings and seals in diffs and wheel hubs have been replaced with new.
Unfortunately I only saw Coolermans post on making up your own brake lines after I had a brake shop make up a complete set of new brake lines

Rear brakes.
dscn0436_s.jpg
dscn0437_s.jpg

Notice full floating axle.
dscn0438_s.jpg
dscn0441_s.jpg

The totally rebuilt front axle, with new disks, steering knuckles, birfields, bearings seals etc.

dscn0458_s.jpg
dscn0457_s.jpg

Then last night I eventually got the engine in the chassis

dscn0462_s.jpg
dscn0463_s.jpg

And tonite I got the cogbox (transmission) mounted too.
That is my progress since February this year, I'll keep posting as I progress.

dscn0464_1.jpg
dscn0465_1.jpg

dscn0466_1~0.jpg

Last edited:
BTW my other truck is a FZJ105 (rigid front axle) 4500 EFI

Fitted with:-
Alloy Roof rack
Roof top tent
4" lifted suspension
45mm bore Tough dog adjustable shocks
80W solar panel
1 x 90AH Cranking Battery
2 x 105AH Aux Batteries
40ltr freezer on roller slide
39ltr fridge fixed mount
roller drawer packing system
Factory lockers fr and rr
VHF radio
Garmi 276C GPS
2 x chassis mount 35ltr water tanks
1 x 100ltr Main fuel tank
1 x 180ltr Aux fuel tank
On board Aircon pump air compressor
rear air springs
dual rear wheel and hilift jack carrier
TJM Alloy front bar with 2 x Lightforce spots
roof rack mount side awning
T-Max 12500lb winch
IMG_0623_1.JPG

Welcome:beer::beer:--you're doing great work--liked the mustard color but the green is pretty sharp--Thanks for sharing--wish I was at that beach!!

I'd never put a petrol in my diesel - But wow! Great quality workmanship and great photography to boot. ----Well done

:beer::beer:

Oom Keith - super work. Now it's my turn to steal from you :D

Great color choice - I wish I could get work that fine done here in MW. My stuff is stalled again... hope to get it restarted today.

:cheers:

Nice project and attention to detail. What did you do with the diesel? Keep those pictures coming!:cheers:

Wow, finally a 79 build! in my color too

Looks Good

BJEC69

the diesel motor is going to a friend in Namibia to be put into a farm truck - a 45 series pick-up

Update;-

Minor hiccup - Ive had a problem locating a suitable alternator. The search continues.

Did manage to get the 60 series PS pump on and power steering box clamped in - busy making up brackets and reinforcing back plate.

I have managed to get the tub on - this feels like a big step forward - although there is a slight problem at the rear a part of the rear panel need to be trimmed a bit to fit properly.

Some progress pics

dscn0470_s.jpg

DSCN0467_s.JPG
DSCN0468_s.JPG
DSCN0469_s.JPG

Wow,

That looks really good... I must admit I am surprised that you are putting a 2F where a B belongs. Maybe one of these days I will see it when I go there, for the first time, with my dad, who was born in Uitenhage.

Hi All:

Wow dude! You've been busy!! :eek:

That is quite the complete rebuild! Awesome work! :beer:

Oh, btw - if you need a 2F alternator I have a couple stock Toyota units out in the garage - would be happy to send you one.

Regards,

Alan

I will be in Jhb in 3 weeks, and might be able to bring stuff. However, with the new SAA weight limits and the stuff I am already bringing is in excess, an alternator will definitely put me over.

Great work - it looks super!!! Would love to hear the story on the rear wheel wells (the before pics were interesting in an unflattering way). Like your remedy though.
:beer:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom