Taurus fan relay questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, here's the quick rundown... I got a 74 FJ55 about a week or so ago that has a 283 V8 conversion. It currently isn't running, but it was running when it was parked.

To make a short story long, here's the fan position with the 283 and the stock radiator:

DSC_9627.jpg

There's no shroud, and it's a flexi-fan... :eek:

Anyway, I went to the pick-n-pull today to find myself a Taurus fan. I also got wetter than a drowned rat. Go figure that the only time it rains today is when I'm on a scavenger hunt... and we're talking not just light rain, but a torrential downpour. :rolleyes:

The first fan I pulled had a little grating sound to it as the fan rotated, so I was kinda bummed since the others I had found were already pilfered. Then I turn the corner into the next aisle and there's one in primo condition (no noises) just dangling off the front. Score!

DSC_9625.jpg

However, as I was tracing out the loom to get the stock plugs, I found a set of dual relays that run inline with the fan motor, so I went ahead and grabbed those too.

DSC_9623.jpg

The one relay has '40AR' stamped on it, which I assume means '40 Amp Relay' and the other just has what looks to be a part number of 9102-25 and a manufacturer's stamp 'CD'. The two relays are also potted in epoxy.

Can I use them?

I'd be stoked if it were usable, since I got the whole assembly for $20.

It doesn't look like there are any wires that would control the relays. Is it possible that it is used to limit the inrush of current when the fan starts. You may try looking it up in a Haynes manual schematic and see what it does. Have you googled the numbers?

that dose not look like a relay to me, but who knows.. Ive read that the relay pack for the taurus fan is a larger box with a bunch of wires coming in/out of it! Most people use some sort of aftermarket large 80amp or so relay for the hight speed.. I used a 40 amp on the low speed, and that seems to work fine, but the high speed requires a larger draw..

Where would the trigger wires be if thats a relay? you would need a ground of some sort and wires to trigger the relay on each circuit!

I tried googling the numbers but 40AR and 9102-25 don't return anything related to relays. It could be some sort of current limiter, which I guess in itself would be pretty cool.

I went to Kragen.com and looked up a fan relay for a 95 Taurus and it's the big box I left behind (like isotel mentioned). :D

There's three wires going into and out of the assembly... I assume two power's and a ground, since they run inline with the motor.

I think I'll do some more searching around and see what I can come up with.

Edit: After a bit more poking around I think I may have the resistor block that goes between the relay and fan... so it is a current limiter. I have to do some more verification, though.
And it looks like I may go back for the relay and loom... would be nice to see if i can get it to work.

Edit2: Or it could be an inline fuse, which is what I'm leaning toward.

Last edited:
Well, it appears that it's an inline fuse. I made the wrong assumption when I saw the metal cans and thought they were relays... along with the heavy potting.

Hrm... I'd think that they'd be usable as the two power wires connect directly to the battery. That would save me having to have a separate high-amp fuse block.

Those aren't relays.

Those are circuit breakers. 40 Amp auto resetting breakers.

I have two relays running my Taurus fan. One runs high speed off of a thermal switch. The other runs off of a switch at low speed. I will also run the low speed all of the time if I get around to hooking up the AC.

They are regular old Bosch relays that look like a 1x1 block.

here is ya a simple wiring diagram... with bosh relays...
Picture 001.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Gumby... so it looks like I can use them after all, but only as circuit protection.

And thanks for the wiring diagram grant5127... I'm filing that away for reference when I put the fan in.

Thanks for the info '74 UA FJ... in fact, I already put it to good use:

DSC_9630.jpg

I spent 4-1/2 hours total today at the pick and pull, just letting my mind run wild and grabbing incidental parts here and there, but I scored when I found that three-relay box above. It's the A/C relays from a Toyota passenger car... not exactly sure what it was, though it could be a Tercel or Camry. I'll probably figure out how to waterproof it as well, with a neoprene gasket or something.

I'm almost in business it looks like. The best part is that I got a whole pile of relays, fuses, fuseblocks, pinswitches, along with the part pictured, for $20... and that included two of the Taurus fuse panels with the massive fuses in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom