High Temperature Sealed Pilot Bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bsevans

Focus on the Journey
Threads
The couple of times I've changed my clutch, I have found that the shielded 6202bearing used as a pilot bearing has been in sad shape and needed replacing every time. What I noticed the most is the degradation which appeared to be due to a loss of grease in the bearing and dirt. This loss of grease is understandable because it is a shielded bearing which will allow small particles of dirt in and at the right temperature the viscosity of the grease will fall allowing it to migrate past the shield. The standard 6202 shielded and/or sealed bearing is rated to a max temperature of 250 degrees F.
I know that there is a Chevy self-oiling pilot bushing that is a direct replacement for the 6202. I went another route. I went to SKF and found a high temperature sealed bearing that should last quite a while. Since it is sealed, there will be no intrusion of contaminants during a water crossing and I do like to puddle jump. Here is the part number and specs.
6202-2RS2/C4S1VT119
2 Viton seals (400 degrees F)
C4 clearance for expansion
Rings and balls are heat treated for 400 degree F operation
VT119 stands for Klueber 400 degree grease
13,000 rpm rated
ABEC 5
$38.00
Made in Europe
Stocked in USA

Nice info.

I would not think of replacing a clutch and not installing a new pilot bearing....

But that is probably just me.

:beer:

Where were you able to source this bearing? Reason I ask is that it is not on the Applied Technologie's Web site and the only thing Google brings up is Russian / Eastern Block sites and not many at that. I was able to find it on the SKF site though.

When I did my clutch last year the bearing I pulled out was not sealed but still in very good condition but the one I put in to replace it was sealed and I believe it was a Koyo I sourced from SOR.

Last edited:
Nice info.

I would not think of replacing a clutch and not installing a new pilot bearing....
But that is probably just me.

I understand what your saying. However, if the bearing shows no sign of degradation when I replace the clutch next time (Lord willing I'm still kicking), I will keep running it.

:beer:

Where were you able to source this bearing? Reason I ask is that it is not on the Applied Technologie's Web site and the only thing Google brings up is Russian / Eastern Block sites and not many at that. I was able to find it on the SKF site though.

When I did my clutch last year the bearing I pulled out was not sealed but still in very good condition but the one I put in to replace it was sealed and I believe it was a Koyo I sourced from SOR.

I purchased the bearing through a bearing house here in Tucson (Bearing, Belt & Chain) that is one of the two local distributors for SKF. I talked at length with an SKF Application Engineer before placing my order. SKF showed that they had quite a few in stock on the shelf in their Tenn. warehouse. With shipping, the total cost was $46.

In all honesty, I'm doing this to see just how much difference this bearing will make. Besides the improved temperature specifications the bearing has a higher precision rating. The 6202 bearing you get from Toyota and the aftermarket houses like SOR may have an ABEC 1 rating at best and SKF said this bearing has an ABEC 5 rating.

For visual comparison, the first photo shows the high temp 6202 ABEC-5 on the left and a 6202 ABEC-1 250 degree F sealed bearing on the right (available from McMaster Carr). The second photo adds a shielded ABEC-1 bearing (also available from McMaster Carr). The last photo shows the factory bearing on the lower left.
Pilot Bearing 01.jpg
Pilot Bearing 02.jpg
Pilot Bearing 04.jpg

I'm with Poser

I'd always replace it anyway. What's the normal one cost? $5? It shouldn't incur that much wear. It doesn't turn when you're in gear. At least, the whole thing turns together, like a chunk, not doing bearing duty.

I'd always replace it anyway. What's the normal one cost? $5? It shouldn't incur that much wear. It doesn't turn when you're in gear. At least, the whole thing turns together, like a chunk, not doing bearing duty.

I find the normal 6202 to be less than acceptable. When I do a clutch job and the pilot bearing is wasted every time, I start looking for alternatives that will give me warm fuzzies that the bearing will still be up to spec when I do my next clutch job. I'm going to experiment and try a better 6202 because I do not want to put the same class of bearing in again. If this bearing feels as smooth then as it does now whats the point of changing it. Do you change out the bearings in your tranny and transfer case every time you do a clutch job? I understand why Chevy uses a bushing instead of a bearing.

How about a version of this high end bearing to replace this pilot bearing:

BCA Federal mogul bearing

202-RRE

geez, i just replaced mine when i did the clutch. i'll have to keep this in mind though for next time, hopefully not in a long time.

Wouldn't even think of going through all the work of putting in a new clutch and not replace the pilot bearing and the rear main seal. JMHO.

202-RRE

It will take a few days, as there is no on line catalog for the series I listed.

202-RRE

They are looking for a bearing that has similar characteristics (Viton seals, heat treated and high temp grease) that is 15mm ID x 35 mm OD x 22.5 mm width.

Will the vitron seal hold up as well as a metal one? I am thinking no, but I don't know much about bearings.

What are you refering to when you say "hold up"?

202-RRE

Sorry Poser, There does not appear to be a high temp version. The bearing house said that bearing does not cross over to other manufacturers like SKF.

I've had 2 pilot bearings go bad on me, usually after a lot of water (splashing). The pilot actually drives the transmission input, even with the clutch in, making it quite difficult if not impossible to shift. The last one had under 1000 miles on it and began to seize up, making it difficult to shift. But then again, on that same trip, we did at least 70 miles in dirty, muddy water, mostly just 3 to 10 inches deep, but at a pretty good clip. So the pilot started to stick, and the release bearing started to whine on my new clutch. Once the pilot dries out, it seems to work fine. I'm doing both again this year since I have to replace the transfer due to a wobbly high speed gear. Once it started acting up after driving ON THE ROAD in heavy rain for 3 hours. Any clues? All boots / window shields, etc are in place. I was thinking of drilling a couple of small holes in the bottom of the bottom shield to allow water to drain out easier. Maybe it's sealed too well!

If this ever happens to you, you can break it loose by starting the engine with the clutch depressed. It won't drive the car that way!

So I'm going with the 6202-2rs (double sealed) bearings this time.

Does anyone know how to protect the transmission / clutch area for wet duty? It was never submerged, but we did go through A LOT of water. It's annoying to have the pilot stick and the release bearing whine. Sounded perfect before it got wet, silky smooth.

Anyone know of a better sealed release bearing?

Thanks a lot, Mike S.

I purchased the bearing through a bearing house here in Tucson (Bearing, Belt & Chain) that is one of the two local distributors for SKF. I talked at length with an SKF Application Engineer before placing my order. SKF showed that they had quite a few in stock on the shelf in their Tenn. warehouse. With shipping, the total cost was $46.

just ordered 3 of these Barry, Bearing, Belt and Chain had to order them in from Germany. was told there were only 15 left, all over seas?

wonder if it's worth while to post up the numbers in that new "cross referencing bearings" post?

It's annoying to have the pilot stick and the release bearing whine. Sounded perfect before it got wet.

last time i pulled out my gearbox was about 8 months ago and found the pilot bearing to be in top shape...i think its a 'koyo', but all the release/thrust bearings i've had over the past 10 years have all been noisy....if i dont match the revs to the gear properly when down shifting it growls at me and something under the dash board vibrates like crazy...mind you i'am down shifting on occasions at around 75km/h or for you yanks bout 45 mile an hour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom