JIS Crosshead Screwdrivers Vs Phillips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coolerman

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.globalsoftware-inc.com
While searching for the transfer punchs yesterday I ran across a reference to JIS screwdrivers designed to be used on Japanese crosshead screws (Phillips to us Americans). I never knew there was a difference between the two types of screws but it sure explains why I have trashed a lot of JIS crosshead screws on my 71 using a Phillips screwdriver! Here is a link I found
http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID9/269.html with this link to order a set. Just placed an order.
http://www.centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html

Read through the threads, it mentions how to grind the end of a standard Phillips off by .20-30 to make it fit deeper into a JIS crosshead.

Hmm.. Ive never noticed a difference.. I know that when i do my paint work id like to replace all the winshield hinge stuff with some sort of Hex bolts..

And i loved this Quote from the thread

" In Auto Shop 101, we were instructed that any time a tool was introed to a 'divorced' part, (not attached to the vehicle) it was a 'Vise Job'. Hand jobs were prohibited in those pre-Clinton years." :cheers:

Yeah our shop teacher frowned on hand jobs too but only when we got caught!
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Finally got the JIS screwdrivers I ordered. They rock! I compared my Craftsman #2 to the JIS #2 and the JIS goes into a metric screw head deeper giving it more bite. Just wish they had a better handle shape. I will wrap some self fusing tape around them to give them more cushion and better grip.
P9050001W.JPG

Yep, I've been using these since I could not figure out why I would always strip the screws on the rear side marker lights and other small cross head screws.

My dad works on electronics, he told me about JIS cross pattern and got me a set from Jenson Electronics. I have heard that a lot of copier and printer repairman also use them.

Hozan is a great tool brand, I used to work on bikes and a lot of good bicycle tools are made by Hozan.

-Stumbaugh

Funny, I have not ever had an issue using a Snap-On, #1, #2, or #3 Phillips head screwdriver on these fasteners.....

:beer:

Poser, I have about 30 or 40 snap on screwdrivers. They do fit, but the JIS fit so well they almost hold themselves on the screw where as the normal phillips tend to be a bit looser.

It's one of those things where the regular phillips works but JIS works much better.

Snap On "Posidrive" Phillips with the little teeth on the ends do work really well though. That's probably why you have no issue.

"A JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) head, commonly found in Japanese equipment, looks like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to cam out and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. The stardard number is JIS B 1012:1985"

Learn something new every day...

-Stumbaugh

Last edited:
Thanks @Coolerman - an easy way to protect those pesky little JIS screws.

my Cruisers love the JIS, got mine from Toyota, sadly the part # is no good anymore

red handle one.....never noticed the other info on the bag, prolly who actaully made it. I may have the bag someplace.....

109752297.jpg

my Cruisers love the JIS, got mine from Toyota, sadly the part # is no good anymore

red handle one.....never noticed the other info on the bag, prolly who actaully made it. I may have the bag someplace.....

109752297.jpg
Never know these exists!!

These are available from Toyota in Japan using different part numbers. Order using Amayama.com or similar service, described here.

P1000441.JPG

excellent! I need one for each cruiser

when I got my JIS from Toyota it was by mistake, I was pulling up the old tool kit part #s, this is what I got when the # changed

09041-1C510 is still available in the US market.

Just ordered some.

:)

Rest have been gone for a few years. I handed them out as gifts to my amigos in 2010 on one of our wheeling trips.

I ordered about ten hammers at the time and gave them out as well. The one I kept for myself I lost. And then the part became discontinued. :(

I recently ordered a bunch more through amayama.

Last edited:
Why nose any normal pozidrive srewdriver? Instead of philipshead?? When using bits the coding shuld say PZ. If it says PH , in my opinion you're using the wrong one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom