Oil & Filter Change for LC200 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2010 URJ200 3UR-FE 5.7L V-8 gasoline engine

I did an oil/filter change on the LC200 today, at 1175 miles, and thought I'd share the experience. It was more complicated compared to all my previous vehicles due to having to remove a skid plate and deal with the cartridge type of filter. But, it wasn't that bad at all and after the first time, every future oil/filter changes will become much easier. Although the crew at my dealer (Tustin Toyota, CA) is completely trustworthy (from past experiences with my FJ Cruiser), I've always done oil/filter changes myself because I kind of enjoy getting a little dirty. Hahaha!

Tools:
  • Flat head screw driver
  • 10mm socket
  • 12mm socket
  • 14mm socket
  • 15/16" socket
  • 1/2" drive ratchet + extension
  • 1/2" drive torque wrench
001.jpg

• Oil filter socket wrench (64mm, 14 flats). I bought it at the dealer. It fit and performed perfectly.
URJ200oilfilterchange21.jpg

• Oil filter: the box contained the filter, a large and a small rubber O-rings, and a plastic drain tube.
URJ200oilfilterchange11.jpg

• Waste-oil receptacle that can hold 8 or more quarts.
  • Gloves and eye-protection

1. DRAINING THE MOTOR OIL:

• First, look at the front passenger's side lower control arm (A-arm). The legs of the A-arm (yellow lines in pic below) will lead you to the motor oil pan and drain bolt (green circle). To access the drain bolt, you'd only need to remove the small cover by unscrewing two 12mm bolts (red arrows). This was my first time under the LC so you will see in other pics that I had removed the large skid plate as well, to check out everything else.
URJ200oilfilterchange3.jpg

• The pic below shows the small cover removed (The Fumoto valve will be discussed later).
URJ200oilfilterchange41.jpg

• Use the 14mm socket to loosen the oil drain bolt and then unscrew by hand (be cautious if oil is hot). Try not to lose grip of the slippery oil-covered drain bolt or it could disappear to the bottom of your waste-oil receptacle! Oil will shoot out toward the passenger's side tire, so position your waste-oil receptacle accordingly. After the oil has drained, replace the drain bolt. Be sure to have a washer of good condition on the bolt. Sometimes, the washer gets stuck to the pan (as in pic below) so check there if you don't see your used washer on the bolt. Be careful not to cross thread.
URJ200oilfilterchange8.jpg

• I replaced the oil drain bolt with this Fumoto valve to facilitate future oil draining. It looks like the O.E. skid plate would be able to protect the valve well enough. Furthermore, it's not so easy to slide the lever open -- you need to pull/click it up first and then slide it open. This LC is my DD, but if I was to take it off-roading, I would want to install aftermarket skid plates that offer the valve more protection. I've been using the Fumoto valve on my FJ Cruiser off-roading for the past three years and there's been no problem, granted, it sits well above an aftermarket skid plate.
URJ200oilfilterchange13.jpg

URJ200oilfilterchange43.jpg

2. CHANGING THE MOTOR OIL FILTER:
  • Looking underneath, you will see two front skid plates side-by-side. To access the oil filter assembly, you'd need to remove the driver's side front skid plate by undoing five 12mm bolts & three 10mm bolts. You will find the oil filter assembly rearward of the sway bar.
URJ200oilfilterchange6.jpg

• Now, position the waste-oil receptacle underneath the oil filter housing. Use the 1/2" drive ratchet with extension to remove the oil filter bolt. A little bit of oil will drip out.
URJ200oilfilterchange16.jpg

• A small rubber O-ring may or may not have come off along with the bolt. If it did not come off, leave it there on the housing.
URJ200oilfilterchange34.jpg

• If the O-ring came off, place it on the plastic drain tube that came with the new oil filter. This tube is used to drain oil from the filter housing.
URJ200oilfilterchange12.jpg

• Insert, forcefully and quickly, the plastic drain tube up into the housing, and retract your fingers quickly because oil will pour out right away (be cautious of hot oil).
URJ200oilfilterchange18.jpg

URJ200oilfilterchange20.jpg

• When the oil stops, remove the plastic drain tube by pulling it sideway and down.
  • Use the oil filter socket wrench (64mm, 14 flats) and the 15/16" ratchet with extension to remove the oil filter housing.
URJ200oilfilterchange23.jpg

URJ200oilfilterchange24.jpg

• Pour out the rest of the oil from the housing.
URJ200oilfilterchange26.jpg

• Pull out the used filter.
URJ200oilfilterchange28.jpg

• Remove the used large O-ring. Be careful to avoid damaging the groove on the housing.
URJ200oilfilterchange30.jpg

• Wipe clean the housing assembly. Prepare the new large O-ring by smearing it with a little bit of clean motor oil. Put it on the housing, making sure it seats correctly in the groove. Insert a new filter and reinstall the housing. Torque to spec. (18 ft. lbf.).
  • Smear motor oil onto the new small O-ring and put it into the groove at the bottom of the housing. Reinstall the filter housing bolt.
3. REFILLING THE MOTOR OIL:
  • I used a funnel to keep things clean.
URJ200oilfilterchange39.jpg

• According to 2010 LC Owner's Manual, the oil capacity, with the filter changed, are: 7.4 quarts for vehicles with blue-markered dipstick handle, and 7.9 quarts for vehicles with green-markered dipstick handle.
  • Replace the motor oil filler cap.
4. CHECK THE MOTOR OIL LEVEL:
  • I refilled with 8 quarts. After having run the engine for a few minutes, the oil level was just under 1/2 between the low and full marks on the dipstick. But, after having driven for 30 minutes and cooled down for 2 hours, the level was up at 9/10. So I drained a little out. Next time, I'll definitely put in less than 8 qts.
5. Check for leaks and then re-install the skid plates.

6. Of course, dispose the waste oil appropriately. I brought it to a local automotive parts store.

Disclaimer: This thread is merely me sharing my experience and is not meant to be a complete instruction. I'm not responsible for any damages resulting from your work. If you are not able, please have a qualified mechanic perform the work.

Last edited:
Great write up with nice pics! Glad to see a 200 owner getting their hands dirty :D

thanks for the write up:cheers:

are there any good alternatives to Toyota OEM filters?

Sure, the Toyota TRD high performance filter:

LC200OilFilterComparo5_19MA_zps69950fc4.jpg

OEM on the left, TRD on the right:

LC200OilFilterComparo1_19MA_zps4c7c6fb8.jpg

:cheers:

Thanks a lot, what's the difference other than the metal ring on the outside?

1. The TRD filter is 100% synthetic glass/polyester blend filtration media that is 98% efficient at 20 microns. The OEM filter is a paper (cellulose) filtration media with unknown (to me, at least) efficiency.

2. Zinc plated steel end caps on the TRD filter offer increased structural integrity when compared to the OEM filter.

3. Red silicone gaskets provide excellent seal characteristics at extreme temperatures.

LC200TRDOilFilterCutaway_20MAY13_zps0a7e49d8.jpg

The filtration media in the TRD filter has a metal mesh backing and the filter itself has a perforated metal inner support.

The TRD filter comes with 2 replacement Viton gaskets, I do not know the material used for the OEM gaskets.

Certainly, the OEM filter will perform adequately, but it makes me feel better to have the TRD mounted.

1. The TRD filter is 100% synthetic glass/polyester blend filtration media that is 98% efficient at 20 microns. The OEM filter is a paper (cellulose) filtration media with unknown (to me, at least) efficiency.

2. Zinc plated steel end caps on the TRD filter offer increased structural integrity when compared to the OEM filter.

3. Red silicone gaskets provide excellent seal characteristics at extreme temperatures.

The filtration media in the TRD filter has a metal mesh backing and the filter itself has a perforated metal inner support.

The TRD filter comes with 2 replacement Viton gaskets, I do not know the material used for the OEM gaskets.

Certainly, the OEM filter will perform adequately, but it makes me feel better to have the TRD mounted.

Brilliant, thanks very much!

Thanks Doug for the info.

It's quite involved. With my Suburban, I used to take it to Jiffy Lube as it was near work for a quick change.

Given the extra steps involved such as taking off the skid plates, if you weren't going to do it yourself, would you trust Jiffy Lube or take it to your Toyota dealer. Would the dealer even do all of the steps involved as it seems quite tedious?

Unless your Toyota dealer lube tech has experience with the LC (now remember its the lube tech not an actual service tech doing oil changes), I would do it yourself. I had to actually redo an oil change at a dealer myself due to the tech not replacing skid plates properly, not recalling how much or what type of oil he put in the truck, and buggering up several bolts and misplacing others. Dealers are no better than Jiffy Lube IMO. It was quite amusing however to use their shop/tools and to show those morons how to change oil while getting TWO oil changes and several replacement bolts for my skid plates for free. I'm sure I've been flagged in their system somehow as a problem customer because I actually expect things to be done correctly. Sorry for the rant

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Unless your Toyota dealer lube tech has experience with the LC (now remember its the lube tech not an actual service tech doing oil changes), I would do it yourself. I had to actually redo an oil change at a dealer myself due to the tech not replacing skid plates properly, not recalling how much or what type of oil he put in the truck, and buggering up several bolts and misplacing others. Dealers are no better than Jiffy Lube IMO. It was quite amusing however to use their shop/tools and to show those morons how to change oil while getting TWO oil changes and several replacement bolts for my skid plates for free. I'm sure I've been flagged in their system somehow as a problem customer because I actually expect things to be done correctly. Sorry for the rant

That's what I was afraid of. I never changed my own oil before but have a modicum of manual dexerity and am willing to try. Given the fact that I may not be able to trust the dealer to perform all the steps correctly, can I change the oil and filter with the car sitting on the garage floor or do I need to lift it off the ground? If so, how would you lift the vehicle safely without additonal expensive equipment?

I've done it both ways. It's definitely easier to do lifted a bit. Just jack the LC up with a floor jack on the inside of your lower control arm and leave enough room to place a jack stand or better yet, get some drive-on ramps and just wheel right up and get to it. The process is not difficult at all, simply time consuming due to the skid plates.

That's what I was afraid of. I never changed my own oil before but have a modicum of manual dexerity and am willing to try. Given the fact that I may not be able to trust the dealer to perform all the steps correctly, can I change the oil and filter with the car sitting on the garage floor or do I need to lift it off the ground? If so, how would you lift the vehicle safely without additonal expensive equipment?

$40 for a pair of ramps:

http://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-11909-RhinoRamps-Vehicle-Capacity/dp/B006EGAIII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383080049&sr=8-1&keywords=car+ramps

Makes the job much easier.

Thanks Gaijin, I already looked at those but the 16,000 pound versions. Do you also need jack stands underneath for more "insurance" and wheel blocks for the rear?

Definitely going to change my own oil. Probably going to change my wife's Range Rover as well.

No jack stands required.

One wheel chock for the rear is never a bad idea, but I confess, I just put my truck in Park and set the hand brake.

I decided to do it myself after having it serviced at Toyota since purchasing my 08 used. Went to take the skid plate off and all the bolts were rusted in there. Toyota did a lube oil filter 5,000 miles prior???? I would think the bolts wouldn't have rusted that bad in 5,000 miles. I had to crank on them to get em out, broke one. Maybe the lube tech gave up on trying to find out where the filter was. I'm missing a couple bolts too from previous owner / Toyota loosing them. I will be doing all my own oil changes from now on.

A strong suggestion is to get the Fumoto valve stated in this thread. The oil comes out full stream right at the passenger tire, makes a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom