Anyone change there own oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if anyone here changes there own oil and oil filter? Is it difficult to do if you have never changed your own oil before? The reason I am inquiring, is that I find it very painful having to wait in line at Toyota or needing a loaner car because they are back logged. What kind of oil and filter do you use? Additional info is much appreciated.:)

Thank you in advance.:beer:

Last edited:
Having never touched a 200 I have no idea if the skid plate needs to come off or not. Changing oil in and of itself is one of the easiest things you can do. One interesting thing I do know about the 3UR is that it uses a renewable filter element instead of a spin on cartridge. I have no idea if there are any aftermarket filters available or not but I personally use Toyota filters. Also don't forget to lube the chassis while your at it.

Having never touched a 200 I have no idea if the skid plate needs to come off or not. Changing oil in and of itself is one of the easiest things you can do. One interesting thing I do know about the 3UR is that it uses a renewable filter element instead of a spin on cartridge. I have no idea if there are any aftermarket filters available or not but I personally use Toyota filters. Also don't forget to lube the chassis while your at it.

Good to know, thanks for the reply.

The Tundra is just about identicle... this link should give you all the info.

DIY: Oil Change w/ pics. & Reset Maintenance Required Light - Tundra Solutions Forum

Thanks for the link. When my next oil change is required, I am going to take it in and watch them carefully "if they let me". It may be more of a pain in the rear than it's worth to do it yourself. :bang: One thing I will never do, is let Jiffylube do the work. Bad enough most toyota dealerships have never worked on a 200LC. :rolleyes: But if it's similar to a Tundra oil change, what could possible go wrong.:hmm:

changing the oil is easy. four bolts remove the skid plate over (under) the oil pan, and about half a dozen bolts remove the front left skid plate. you don't need to remove the oil pan skid plate to drain the oil (it has a nifty access plate over the plug) but you do need to remove it to remove the front left skid plate. you also don't need to remove the front right skid plate.

i recommend using the specific filter 'socket' for the filter case, as this makes removing it a breeze and a PITA without it. i think it was either 35 or 37 mm, but toyota sells it (and at the same price as the local parts store believe it or not!) the cartridge inside the case is replaced, along with new o-rings (supplied with the cartridge). i've been using NAPA gold filters.

so really, there is no magic to it; it is just that the LC doesn't use a traditional disposable filter canister. once you take it off though, you'll see it is no big deal.

changing the oil is easy. four bolts remove the skid plate over (under) the oil pan, and about half a dozen bolts remove the front left skid plate. you don't need to remove the oil pan skid plate to drain the oil (it has a nifty access plate over the plug) but you do need to remove it to remove the front left skid plate. you also don't need to remove the front right skid plate.

i recommend using the specific filter 'socket' for the filter case, as this makes removing it a breeze and a PITA without it. i think it was either 35 or 37 mm, but toyota sells it (and at the same price as the local parts store believe it or not!) the cartridge inside the case is replaced, along with new o-rings (supplied with the cartridge). i've been using NAPA gold filters.

so really, there is no magic to it; it is just that the LC doesn't use a traditional disposable filter canister. once you take it off though, you'll see it is no big deal.

That isn't so bad than. :bounce: Can you provide a step by step video.:popcorn:

You will just need to get teh correct oil canister from Toyota. You won't be able to find them anywhere else from what I understand. Should not be that hard.

I believe the rasta skid plates actually help with oil changes as they have holes drilled where you need access.

I've never done my own oil change, but no tech has complained about the plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom