Rhino Rack Platform (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a few PM's asking for more pictures of my Rhino Pioneer Platform and I finally had a chance to get some this past weekend. I got it direct from Rhino and Joe, John and Deb were all great to work with. My system includes the following:

100 Series Leg Kit - RLCP02
Pioneer Alloy Platform Rack - 42104
Foxwing Awning Left Hand - 31100
Foxwing Bracket - 43100
Eye Bolt Kit - 43106
Luggage Bag Half - LBH

It's a great piece of kit and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a flat platform rack.

7022182569_6c4307e7c4_c.jpg

7022576225_337a0aabd7_c.jpg

7022576959_dd4d2fae58_c.jpg

6876475326_5d726190f5_c.jpg

6876476950_9efa88daa9_c.jpg

7022581633_081a0dbc9a_c.jpg

6876478958_603538ff5c_c.jpg

6876479988_677229b399_c.jpg

Love the awning, your Hundy looks great! QQ, does that luggage bag mount sideways on the rack too? Just thinking if it could be used with a rooftop tent mounted on the back half of the rack and the luggage bag turned sideways on the front.

I can't tell you how many times I have come back to this thread to look at these pictures. I love it!

I'm really considering this, I just wish I could get it coated black. I love the silver on your white 100 just not sure how it would look on a galactic grey...

Ok after a year of debating I finally ordered the exact above setup from Hugh at Safari LTD. I already had a Foxwing and was waffling between the front runner and the rhino. The Rhino's total price is less than HALF what the FR runs. After looking at many examples of both I've decided that the Rhino is as good of build quality as the FR. One thing I really like is that it is modular so that if I do damage it I can easily repair it. Can't wait to show you pics!

jonharis said:
Ok after a year of debating I finally ordered the exact above setup from Hugh at Safari LTD. I already had a Foxwing and was waffling between the front runner and the rhino. The Rhino's total price is less than HALF what the FR runs. After looking at many examples of both I've decided that the Rhino is as good of build quality as the FR. One thing I really like is that it is modular so that if I do damage it I can easily repair it. Can't wait to show you pics!

Yes please!! Pics ASAP!

Last edited:
Last edited:
QQ, does that luggage bag mount sideways on the rack too?

Yeah, the straps would just wrap around the cross bars instead of the slats. They have some other sizes as well, I went with the half so I would still have room for fuel cans, firewood, springbar, etc...

On my recent trip to Canyonlands, I was able to stuff 4 sleeping bags, 4 pads, 2 tents and a few other small items into the half luggage bag. The bag uses a double lapping system that works very well, I was impressed that after 100+ miles offroad there was no dust to be found inside the bag.

that awning hangs off a little too much for my tastes. the joshua trees on the mojave rd trail would rip that thing off in 2 seconds.

Last edited:
liveoak said:
that awning hangs off a little too much for my tastes. the joshua trees on the mojave rd trail would rip that thing off in 2 seconds.

Anyone that knows me well or has seen me drive Kane creek knows I'll test that theory well. It is a concern for sure but I feel that if you are cognizant of the location it shouldn't be to difficult to avoid ripping it off. the hong is covered with a very thick durable PVC cover that hold up well to everyday brush. Hugh with safari has one on his Troopy and he takes it just about everywhere. After a year of wheeling it still looks great.

How are these half of what a Front Runner costs? All I see everywhere is $989.00 for the full platform rack (no side rails) and 6 towers. The FR I just installed was $1365.00.

Rhino-Rack

Platform: Part No 42104 (84"x56")
Towers: Part No RLCP02

Front Runner

Entire rack: Part No FRLC4009 (84"x53")

Is Safari Ltd. selling these for way less?

Last edited:
maybe it's just the angle of some of the pics. it does look like a nice setup otherwise.

pfran42 said:
How are these half of what a Front Runner costs? All I see everywhere is $989.00 for the full platform rack (no side rails) and 6 towers. The FR I just installed was $1365.00.

Rhino-Rack

Platform: Part No 42104 (84"x56")
Towers: Part No RLCP02

Front Runner

Entire rack: Part No FRLC4009 (84"x53")

Is Safari Ltd. selling these for way less?

Paul, I think the big advantage for me was the lack of shipping cost, and a modest repeat customer discount. Shipping on the FR added a significant amount. Either way, even at full price the Rhino is significantly less expensive and when you really compare the two they are both great systems. I was 100% sold on the front runner for a long time but I really think I get the same quality for less, you o all people should be able to appreciate that :) The Front Runner is time tested and proven and there is a risk with the Rhino as it is a new product but I suspect it will hold up to the abuse. There are things that I don't like about the Rhino, it's not black which was originally really important to me. I don't really like the plastic corners either, at the same time the design is more aerodynamic, the rack is Likely easier to repair and the US distribution is Colorado based which I like.

Paul, I think the big advantage for me was the lack of shipping cost, and a modest repeat customer discount. Shipping on the FR added a significant amount. Either way, even at full price the Rhino is significantly less expensive and when you really compare the two they are both great systems. I was 100% sold on the front runner for a long time but I really think I get the same quality for less, you o all people should be able to appreciate that :) The Front Runner is time tested and proven and there is a risk with the Rhino as it is a new product but I suspect it will hold up to the abuse. There are things that I don't like about the Rhino, it's not black which was originally really important to me. I don't really like the plastic corners either, at the same time the design is more aerodynamic, the rack is Likely easier to repair and the US distribution is Colorado based which I like.

Oh, I'm not dissin' on it... Now that you mentioned no shipping costs, it makes sense. I gave the Rhino a good long look and (like you) the only thing that held me back was the color. I am OCD when it comes to the "artistic" side of my build and I could not convince myself to outfit my rig with a very large item that was not either gray or black.

Very nice setup Chris.

Looks like you'll enjoy that for a long time to come.

I like the non-finished aluminum racks. No touch up paint needed.

FWIW, Rhino Rack is one of the OEM manufacturers for Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom