CEL with 'VSC Trac' and 'VSC Off' lights on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently on my '01, the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on along with the 'VSC Trac' and 'VSC Off' warning indidators. After driving around a bit and then restarting the engine a few times, all the lights end up going off.

This just started happening several times in the past few weeks and I'm curious if this has ever happened to anyone else and is it anything to really worry about. It appears to be a pretty random event; nothing in particular seems to trigger it. I checked the owner's manual and it says it may indicate an electrical problem in the ActiveTrac system.

Man, just goes to show you; the more complicated the machinery, the more there is to to go wrong with it.

Would you folks take it to the dealership for diagnosis with this particular problem or stick your trusted independent?

Thanks a bunch,

HT

Hi Trek said:
Man, just goes to show you; the more complicated the machinery, the more there is to to go wrong with it.
I think the problems are less frequent but are more severe when they do happen. Or you can think of it this way... when OBD1 cars weren't running right, you just didn't know because the CEL never went off.

Even though your CEL turned off, your CEL codes might still be in the memory. I would get the codes and go from there.

Someone was talking about how their rear locker wiring harness got melted by the exhaust on a 98 or 99. It was giving him a rear locker engaged warning. The wiring might be run in the same spot for the VSC. I would check the wiring along the exhaust to make sure it isn't melting and shorting out like his was.

Here is the link to that post.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=54409&highlight=exhaust

Have the codes pulled and go from there. If your independant can do this then go there if not you have to go to the Toyota dealer.

Thanks everyone...

Recently on my '01, the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on along with the 'VSC Trac' and 'VSC Off' warning indidators. After driving around a bit and then restarting the engine a few times, all the lights end up going off.

This just started happening several times in the past few weeks and I'm curious if this has ever happened to anyone else and is it anything to really worry about. It appears to be a pretty random event; nothing in particular seems to trigger it. I checked the owner's manual and it says it may indicate an electrical problem in the ActiveTrac system.

Would you folks take it to the dealership for diagnosis with this particular problem or stick your trusted independent?

Thanks a bunch,

HT

Hi Trek, you still out there???

My wife's '00 just did the same thing this morning and wondering what ended up happening in your situation??

Anyone else experience this??

Thanks,
Mark
Boise, ID

Hi Trek, you still out there???

My wife's '00 just did the same thing this morning and wondering what ended up happening in your situation??

Anyone else experience this??

Thanks,
Mark
Boise, ID

I read in another post, while searching, that a check engine light for any reason will cause the 'VSC/Trac' and 'VSC Off' lights to come on. Reason being the computer disables VSC and TRAC untill the issue is resolved.

Can someone confirm this for me?

Thanks,
Mark

Before you possibly get hosed...read this thread all the way through:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=87394

I would replace this switch (cheap and quick) before doing anything.

I had the code read today:

P1120 - Throttle Position Sensor.

I believe I've confirmed one of my questions - any check engine light will cause the "VSC/TRAC" and "VSC OFF" lights to illuminate. I'm surprised no one chimed in and confirmed this.

So, my issue has nothing to do with the VSC/Trac systems and I won't be changing out the CDL engage switch.

What I will do is clean the throttle body with some spray SeaFoam.

Thanks,
Mark

I had this problem too, and it coded as the Accelerator Pedal Position sensor - which is next to the TPS, but inside the throttle body. At least the TPS is accessible and cheaper to replace. You should be able to find a non-dealer mechanic to do this job.

Hello folks,

For the past six months I've been able to isolate this problem. Although I haven't fixed it yet, I know exactly what causes it and how to avoid it.

The issue occurs after the vehicle has been sitting long enough to completely cool down. Next, if I start the vehicle but don't let it warm up to operating temperature and then shut it off (as in driving to the neighborhood grocery store a mile a way), the CEL and VSC lights will come on the next time the vehicle is started. It happens every single time without exception.

A while back I did have the codes read by the dealership and they said it was a faulty Throttle Position Sensor. They explained that there is a magnet assembly which can get stuck sometimes and needs to be replaced. They wanted around $1400 to fix it but since I know exactly what causes it and how to avoid it, I haven't yet gotten around to getting it permanently fixed.

I noticed someone else mentioned spraying the Throttle Body with some SeaFoam; would this help? If so, how is it done? I'm assuming you need to spray inside somewhere and any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I believe I've confirmed one of my questions - any check engine light will cause the "VSC/TRAC" and "VSC OFF" lights to illuminate. I'm surprised no one chimed in and confirmed this.

So, my issue has nothing to do with the VSC/Trac systems and I won't be changing out the CDL engage switch.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,

I'm not sure about your's, but my 01 has had a CEL on for a P0155 (O2 sensor) and no other lights came on. I've never heard of the VSC lights coming on in conjunction with CEL unless the two are related issues. You may want to have those lights checked out; that doesn't sound right to me.

Googler,

$1400???

That is a crazy price. Find another mechanic.

Cleaning the throttle body is a good idea also. It could be done when they replace the TPS.

Luckily :rolleyes: I just had this happen to me. We drove the Cruiser to Miami Int'l Airport a few weeks ago. Returned and drove the two hours back home. A couple of days later I get into the rig and noticed the back up camera stopped working.

About a mile down the road I also notice the "D" is out on the dash and the speedo is not registering. Then the CEL came on and the VSC Trac and VSC off lights illuminated.

WTF?

Going to the stealer tomm. I still have only 30k miles, so it should be covered, no?

I'll post up what they find, but the situation doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

Simple Toyota, S-I-M-P-L-E, keep it simple for God's sake. :censor:

FWIW: My 40 has never thrown a CEL or anything else for that matter!

:flipoff2:

Has anyone else had this issue recently? I saw a few had years ago but very few reported back as to what they found. And don't tell me to use the F-ing search feature! :D

I just got back from the dealer. Apparently, a short in my trailer or wiring harness caused one of the fuses to blow. The truck was drivable and the indicators/fuse didn't present any long term damage if driven under "these" conditions.

I can't remember the code (don't have it with me right now). According to the tech, the speedo, drive indicator, VSC and back up camera are all on the same fuse. The one that blew was an in line fuse under the truck. :doh:

Go figure. I'll try to post the code that was pulled up later today.

Hope this helps someone else out.

Just to confirm, most powertrain DTCs will also set "sympathy" DTCs in the VSC/TRAC system. This is true on Land Cruisers (the 100 is a luxury vehicle), Sequoias, Tundras, etc.

I recall posting this one time before, but I guess it wasn't in this thread.

hi there , i am resurecting this thread because my check engine light , the VSC TRAC and the VSC OFF lights are on all the time started right after a re-fueling a couple of hours ago.....checked the gas cap, restarted a few times and drove for a while and the lights are still on , anymore opinions about what sudenly causes that ? my car is 2005 and 37000 miles .
thanx Erick.

hi there , i am resurecting this thread because my check engine light , the VSC TRAC and the VSC OFF lights are on all the time started right after a re-fueling a couple of hours ago.....checked the gas cap, restarted a few times and drove for a while and the lights are still on , anymore opinions about what sudenly causes that ? my car is 2005 and 37000 miles .
thanx Erick.

check the gas cap...you may have just not had it on tight ...or...clicked it too many times...it happened to my wife...they all come on because the computer shuts down the VSC because it sences their may be an engine problem.

long story short...took off the cap...and put it back on...errased the codes and never an issue again

did you errase the codes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom