Ipad RAM Mount Holder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Like a lot of people, I have been looking for the perfect Ipad holder. I may not have it quite yet (needs to be tested), but I am close. I may need to add a support on the underside of the console.

I was familiar with RAM Mounts and PRO-CLIP and after researching between the two went for the RAM Tab Tite

RAM-HOL-TAB3U.jpg

The best place I saw to mount it was the center console, but the setup with the round base and 4" shaft jsut wouldn't work. So I went through their components and put together what I thought would work

I went for the angled bracket with the ball to the far right

RAMB125BG1U.JPG

I bought a black beer coozie and cut it to fit the bottom of the bracket. Figured that would help conform to the center console and then I drilled the holes after getting it where I wanted

I also went for the extended arm (6")

RAM-B-201-C.jpg

P1000604.jpg
P1000605.jpg
P1000606.jpg

Last edited:
Because there isnt a lot of support in that part of the center console, I wanted to add a support arm

I went to the hardware store and got a 1/4" threaded pole

Made a bracket to bolt to the seat bolt, bent the bar and cut to fit

I at first was going to attach it to the RAM Mount with a bracket, but thought I would try JB Weld first as it could look cleaner

Then put some black insulation on the outside
P1000611.jpg
P1000612.jpg
P1000613.jpg

I'll clean it up a bit more, but the placement is perfect

Easy access and does not get in the way of anything or the passenger. In fact, it can be swivled so the passenger can use it easily.

All thats left is to test it on a trail

I may still work on adding some more support. I'll have to play with it a for a while
P1000607.jpg
P1000608.jpg
P1000610.jpg

Why couldn't you mount the bracket to the passenger side of the console?

Why couldn't you mount the bracket to the passenger side of the console?

I suppose I could have. The only vibration I have noticed is above the ball in to the tablet holder, meaning the mount is stable.

I forgot to provide an update to this. The mount worked perfectly and barely moved during our 5 day expedition through White Rim, Elephant Hill (at night) through Beef Basin and then up to the Doll House and out crossing the dirty devil.

We had a break down and I was towing someone out and back to civilization, when we hit pavement, my passenger (nakman) swiveled the ipad around so he could surf the internet. It wasn't in his way at any time.

Like mentioned above, the only thing I would do differently is take the main bracket and look at mounting it on the side of the console rather than the top, making sure the ball is at the same point height wise. They way I did it worked fine too, so not a big deal.

I forgot to provide an update to this. The mount worked perfectly and barely moved during our 5 day expedition through White Rim, Elephant Hill (at night) through Beef Basin and then up to the Doll House and out crossing the dirty devil.

We had a break down and I was towing someone out and back to civilization, when we hit pavement, my passenger (nakman) swiveled the ipad around so he could surf the internet. It wasn't in his way at any time.

Like mentioned above, the only thing I would do differently is take the main bracket and look at mounting it on the side of the console rather than the top, making sure the ball is at the same point height wise. They way I did it worked fine too, so not a big deal.

I like the idea you have implemented but originally thought it should be mounted to the side as well. Would the mount have to be heated up and bent the other way or even straight up to work if mounted on the side?

I like the idea you have implemented but originally thought it should be mounted to the side as well. Would the mount have to be heated up and bent the other way or even straight up to work if mounted on the side?

I'm not sure how stable it would be on the side. Guessing by the look the ball would be in the same spot, but it would be better to play with it. Not sure what you mean by heated up and bent, you can just flip it around

Thinking about it, you couldn't mount the support rod the same way I did with it mounted on the side.

This method proved its stability. In some areas we were flying on flat trails at 40MPH and I did fly into the air once when there was a bump and landed pretty hard. No issue with the ipad mount.

The other method may or may not be better, just seems like it should be better as the console doesn't provide any support near the shifter.

An alternative is to mount it on a vehicle-specific adapter off to the side.
IMG_3529.jpg

I looked at those. I sat in the truck for a while drinking a beer:beer: trying to figure out right where I wanted it. The proclips were to high and over in the passenger side. Not sure it would provide the flexibility to swivle so the passenger could use it as well to surf the web

It certainaly is another great option, just didn't fit my preferences. I have used several of proclips products and have found them to be top quality

I looked at those. I sat in the truck for a while drinking a beer:beer: trying to figure out right where I wanted it. The proclips were to high and over in the passenger side. Not sure it would provide the flexibility to swivle so the passenger could use it as well to surf the web

It certainaly is another great option, just didn't fit my preferences. I have used several of proclips products and have found them to be top quality
[STRIKE]
I need to go out and take some more pics.[/STRIKE] It's actually a combo of ProFit and RAM. The ram mount attaches to the ProFit bracket and can swing over almost to the center. It can also pivot to the right in case I have a rider/navigator.

The one downside is that it's slightly bouncy. Not objectionably so and it doesn't affect one's ability to either read the map or touch the controls. It's just not rock solid.

Edit: Pics

Mounting detail:
IMG_3545.jpg

Moved to the center. Note that I have the 3" arm. RAM also has a 6" arm that would move it closer to the driver. Not really needed IMO. You can see how close it is to the shifter. Easily at fingertip reach.
IMG_3546.jpg

Adjusted for pax/navigator
IMG_3547.jpg

Last edited:
[STRIKE]
I need to go out and take some more pics.[/STRIKE] It's actually a combo of ProFit and RAM. The ram mount attaches to the ProFit bracket and can swing over almost to the center. It can also pivot to the right in case I have a rider/navigator.

The one downside is that it's slightly bouncy. Not objectionably so and it doesn't affect one's ability to either read the map or touch the controls. It's just not rock solid.

Edit: Pics

Mounting detail:
IMG_3545.jpg

Moved to the center. Note that I have the 3" arm. RAM also has a 6" arm that would move it closer to the driver. Not really needed IMO. You can see how close it is to the shifter. Easily at fingertip reach.
IMG_3546.jpg

Adjusted for pax/navigator
IMG_3547.jpg

That is different than I thought. Looks like a great setup. It's nice to have options:beer:

I have been pissed off numerous times by my Ram Mount. It shakes constantly and when you type it shakes. I'm planning on adding a brace that goes into the dash to make it rock solid. I'll be starting tonight and hopefully finishing up by Friday night. Going to brace it uptop and at the transmission wall. I hate when stuff moves when it's not supposed to.

I want rock solid... still looking for the solution.

I want rock solid... still looking for the solution.

I did too until I used it. IMO, the key isn't that it's rock solid but rather the distance it can oscillate. My setup has a short leverage arm and while the RAM mount is rock solid, the bent sheet metal ProFit adapter has some flex to it. When I first installed it I almost tore it out before even using it because I could get it to bounce if I hit it hard. But after taking it on several long trips now I can say that the flex is irrelevant. I've not even once had an issue where I either couldn't read the screen or had difficulty in touching the right control. If you're doing 35 on severe roads then sure you're going to get a little bounce. But in those conditions you're not looking at the display either.

While I've not used one, I can see where the long floor-mount arms would produce a longer (but slower?) oscillation period and I agree that would be more difficult to work with.

That said, over the last couple of days I'm leaning toward App Radio as it looks to cure up a number of problems while preserving forward technology improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom