Painting wheel, what color (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Spring is coming and with a bunch of LC wheel, i'll sand blast a set and paint them. I have dark gray characoal in mind? Truck is Champagne pearl. Would that be nice?

Not sure i want to go black...

You know what they say, once you go black you never go back.....

Ive got the same color cruiser and was thinking about a graphite for mine too. Im a 99 so not sure if its the same for you and I but my grill is painted a pretty sweet graphite from the factory i was considering painting my wheels, side trim panels, and bumpers

I was thinking of black but went another route, to try and keep if looking close to stock, i just picked up my wheels from the powder coaters, got it in textured matte anthracite metalic. looks so good!

I was thinking of black but went another route, to try and keep if looking close to stock, i just picked up my wheels from the powder coaters, got it in textured matte anthracite metalic. looks so good!

Pics????

I vote graphite!
IMG_0367.jpg

I was going to paint the emblems but at the last minute I decided to mask them off. They might have looked just as good painted, but by leaving them chrome, it gives them a real fine detail.

I washed the center caps with dawn (degreaser), dried them, put masking tape over the sombrero's, "molded" the masking tape with my fingernail, then took an exacto knife and trimmed the masking tape. Then I shot the center caps with Bulldog adhesion promoter, then shot them with the same duplicolor as the wheels. I finished the wheels and center caps with the duplicolor clear. I am very pleased with the finish and I spent about $20.

wheel.JPG
wheel2.JPG
wheel.JPG
wheel2.JPG

threads like this.... make powder-coating look pointless. I you prep right, take your time and practice on a few objects, you can make your wheels look just as good. I love black on white and silver rigs, looks really good. However the graphite looks great too! Black is so easy to touch up though. I'd be afraid if I were to scuff the graphite, it would be hard to match the color perfectly without re-doing the whole rim.

I'd rather spend 20 bucks like copenhagen (and myself) rather than 400 bucks on powder-coating (GA prices)

not to threadjack entirely, but did you gents have to take care of any rock rashes on your wheels? i have a few scratches, some almost significant, that i want to fix before i paint... but i'm not sure how to do it. i realize even if i am able to clean up the scratches a bit there will be some divits/grooves. when i think about fixing them up, painting them up and still having gashes under the paint, i end up deciding not to go through the effort :(

bkgee - prep your wheels correctly prior to painting... use a wire brush on a drill to get a nice uniform finish or finish removal and use a primer for your first coats.. go back and sand the primer to touch them up... the primer will make your finish coat hold up longer... a good prep job will make them turn out just fine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom