How to lubricate front axle shaft bushings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to complete the 60k service on my truck, and I'm a bit puzzled as to what the "front axle shaft bushings" are, and how I should lubricate them?

60k maintenance states that one of the items that must be done is:

"Lubricate front axle shaft bushings (GX470, LX470)"

Any thoughts?

My goal is complete the 60k service by myself. I've already completed a bunch of the steps (e.g., AHC flush, differential + transfer case oils, etc.), but a few more steps remain...

From an old thread:

I wonder if that price included greasing the driveshaft spindle bushings? I believe that the driveshafts must be removed from the spindle bushings to access the inside of the bushings to grease them, and THAT requires unconnecting the lower ball joints and swinging the spindles out - not a trivial job, especially if the front end is re-aligned after reassambly, as it should be in such cases.

Seems like I read that someone (Slee?) made a special tool comprised of a driveshaft nut with grease fitting & internal grease passages, designed to enable greasing the bushing with the driveshaft in place, to avoid the above extra work...(Pictures of such a tool would be MOST appreciated - especially the internal machining in the threads area...I'm thinking of buying an axle nut and taking it and a zerk to a local small job machine shop...)

In any case, my OM says that the bushings need greasing periodically, along with the bearings repack service, so the Stealer may include bushings regrease in quoted bearing repack/replace - in that case, $700 might not be too high, if they unconnect lower ball joints, regrease bushings, and realign front end as well as replace bearings.

Not if you have the tool that Slee knows how to build. Joe.................??

We now have the tool available.

STF1030-250.jpg

Can you post a picture how-to for this tool. Interesting to see what is involved to use this.

I hate to be a party pooper but its only a matter of time before its out.

The LandCruiserPhil spindle bushing greasing method...

Pros
·10 min. a side, 5 min. is you have an assistant
· Know you are in fact getting grease to where you want it
· Know exactly how much grease is being applied
· No need for special tool - Sorry vender's:eek:
· No mess
· Ability to see condition of the shaft and bushing
· A 1 :banana: job even a caveman can do it

Cons
Flame on
peepwall.gif

Procedure

Remove wheel cap
Remove dust cap
Remove snap ring
Have your assistant push in axle stub or use a ghetto system like pictured
Squirt grease around the bushing
Reverse steps

Picture #1 - Tools required - very little disassembly required
thumb.gif

Picture #2 - Apply grease to brass bushing - Bushing is factory designed to direct grease to needle bearing

Picture #3 - Ghetto design of holding axle stub in - An assistant will eliminate the need for this tool

100 gres bush1 .JPG
100 gres bush2.JPG
100 gres bush3.JPG

Last edited:

Pros
· No mess

Cons
Flame on
peepwall.gif

Procedure

Remove wheel cap
Remove dust cap
Remove snap ring
Reverse steps

Nice!! I was about to buy the tool too! Thank you!

So this part that is being greased is a different than greasing the wheel bearings?

Thanks for the two alternative options (Slee Tool and LandCruiserPhil "Backdoor Method"). Since I don't have a needle tip greaser and the Slee Tool apparently does not require pushing the shaft partially out, I'm off to the Slee site to find the Slee Tool. :)

Anybody have suggestions for type of grease? Right now my grease gun is carrying moly grease for the driveshaft slip joints, but that may not be the best grease for the front axle bushings.

I'd vote for moly grease because this is a sliding and not rolling bearing surface. As far as the grease needle, most car parts places have grease needles cheap, something you really should have in the toolbox. The zirc fitting on the back just snaps into your grease gun.

Phil, that is ingenious.
Grease+Control+Valve+Accessories+-+injector+needle+w%2Fplasti.jpg

I'd vote for moly grease because this is a sliding and not rolling bearing surface. As far as the grease needle, most car parts places have grease needles cheap, something you really should have in the toolbox. The zirc fitting on the back just snaps into your grease gun.

Phil, that is ingenious.

FWIW I use the other needle type. The needle is not as sharp and made for zerks also safer to used to grease 100 series ball joints and tie rod ends. I also use this set up for my U-joints. Much cleaner to work with then larger grease guns.
thumb.gif

Mini Grease Gun
Grease needle

Anybody have suggestions for type of grease? Right now my grease gun is carrying moly grease for the driveshaft slip joints, but that may not be the best grease for the front axle bushings.

From the FSM:
Apply synthetic oil and lithium soap base chassis grease,
NLGI No. 1 .....

So this part that is being greased is a different than greasing the wheel bearings?

Yes. Its the needle bearing that is pressed into the steering knuckle that supports the CV shaft at the inside portion of the knuckle. Its often, by home garage mechanics and maybe even some pros, overlooked bearing apart of any axle/hub bearing PM work. But it will let you know if you forget to grease it ;)

Needle bearing? I thought it was a plain bearing, I change my vote to non-moly grease.

I'm glad I didn't see this last night, or in January for that matter. I just put all my shiet back together, Still had a little grease but nothing like Phil's photo. Wondering if I should take it all back apart or if I'll be OK for some time? How will it "let me know" when it needs to be done. I'm right at 100K, would I be OK going to 120K?

Pros
· No mess

Cons
Flame on
peepwall.gif

Procedure

Remove wheel cap
Remove dust cap
Remove snap ring
Reverse steps

Phil, that is certainly one way to do it. Catch is that the bearing and needle bearing is probably about 2" long. I can see how you get grease on the side of the bearing in your method, but I am not sure how much you are going to get into the needle bearing which is further into the spindle.

Our tool will ensure the grease is pushed in from the other side, all the way through the bushing and bearing until you can see it on the area that you how you have greased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom