Limb Risers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After the windshield and A pillars took a beating (with quite a bit of paint removed) on some narrow trails, i found it time to add some limb risers to the LX. After rummaging through my local ace hardware with some inspiration from 2000UZJ, here is what i came up with. With my set up, each side can be removed in under 30 seconds to open the hood or to appease the:princess:. I apologize in advance for the poor pics, but my blackberry camera is all i have.

PARTS:
2 - 8.5 foot segments of 1/4 inch stainless steel cable
2 - 200lb turn buckle
1 - spool 22 gauge steel pipe hanger
2 - two sided snaps
2 - 200 lb carabiner
2 - Cable clamps
2 - 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch long bolt with nut and lock washer
2 - 1 foot sections of black DOT 1/2 in fuel line

I first took the pipe hanger and secured it around the bullbar tightly with the bolt, nut lock washer and bent a tab hanging out towards the roof rack. I doubled this up to add a little strength.

I then connected a fully loosened turn buckle, added the carabiner, and connected the looped end of the cable.

Next i ran the cable through the fuel line and placed it in the track where the cable would make contact with the roof.

Finally, I made a loop in the roof rack end with the cable clamps and attached it to the 2 sided clip and clipped the other end to the screw for the roof rack cross member. Crank down the turn buckle until tight, and you are done.

Last edited:
I believe he used fuel line as a protective sleeve over the cable to prevent scatching the paint.

I need to get the fuel line like you did.

Great idea.

Thanks, it fits perfectly. The only thing i am going to change to this set up, it to rattle can the whole thing black.

Here they are blacked out and nearly invisible. I coat primer and 2 rustoleum matte black. There are a couple spots that need touch up as i did not let the paint dry sufficiently. got over eager :doh:. I am happy overall though. They are super easy to get on and off.

they are almost invisible . . .

What's the piece of metal that wraps the tube on your ARB bumper?

What's the piece of metal that wraps the tube on your ARB bumper?

It is "pipe hanger". i had never seen it till i got it. Its 22 gauge galvanized steel, and according to the package, its breaking point is 220 lbs. It comes in a spool, and is easily workable. I doubled it up where the turn buckle attaches.

Interesting approach. Substitute P clips for your pipe hangers and we're pretty close in concept. Thanks for sharing your link from the other thread I started. Seems there are countless names for these things (limb risers, bush cables, etc.)

S

Yukon LX,

Good use of local hardware store parts!

My BumpItOffroad bumper is currently under construction, and I am having him put light tabs in the corners of the tubing so that I can attach limb risers (bush cables/tree branch guide wires) too. I like the use of the quick connect two-sidesd snaps and carabiners to make the whole thing easily removable.

I flipped mine around last week so you can't see the adjusters and all. It looks 100% cleaner and keeps the adjuster free of dirt and mud.

I can snap pics if you want.

Here you go

37481309.jpg

65bc73c9.jpg

783102e7.jpg

049275e7.jpg

Here you go

Looks good. Is there a reason that you used both the clevis shackle and the other hardware (free twisting thingy-ma-bob)?

Looks good. Is there a reason that you used both the clevis shackle and the other hardware (free twisting thingy-ma-bob)?

Can't remember which part but one of them won't fit throughout the other. Making the extra links nessecary. I do plan on re doing it. Just no time these days

I used a crimping sleeve on the bottom instead of the saddle clip, so even with the turn buckle and caribener, it is very smooth for stuff to run over. i would not lock tight mine. the whole point of the turn buckle is to loosen them so that you can use you disconnect points. Yes you can pop the lock tight, but i don't think its necessary. Mine have been on for a month or two and are as taught as the day i put them on . with a turn buckle, all components have to rotate to loosen it up making it pretty secure. Also, where you have yours connected to the roof rack will not last. I originally hooked mine to that same price with the little loop, but i slowly bent out. that is not a load bearing loop on the back side of that bolt. I would suggest either switching the front and back bolt like nick did or buy something in the same size with a load bearing loop on the back end.

Question: Did you add the hook up tabs on your TJM, i am thinking about doing this on the corners of my arb. Also, how did you run the cable up and over your roof?

Question: Did you add the hook up tabs on your TJM, i am thinking about doing this on the corners of my arb. Also, how did you run the cable up and over your roof?

The cables make contact with the roof at some point, since they were coated I dint think it would damage anything. I think I will switch the spot to where I connected the turnbuckle, just dont have the time for it lol I did not add hook up tabs to my tjm, I am doing that next week. I am working on making the mounting removable, just dont know if I want to drill into the TJM yet. If all else fails, I will sell the TJM and get an ARB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom