FYI: Toyota to recall 39,000 2003-2007 LX470's... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just saw that, was going to post it but figured somebody would. Wonder how many have actually experienced that problem. Seems like a low number of LX affected.

So does that mean ALL, I don't recall sales figures but it rings a bell?
So what about the LC100?

So does that mean ALL, I don't recall sales figures but it rings a bell?
So what about the LC100?

The article only states the LX being recalled. I would thing that 39,000 units over a 5 year span is a select few, unless sales were down that far. I don't know what the total sales were for this period, but it seems to be far fewer than the total sales for a vehicle over 5 sales years (BTW, 5 years is inclusive, not bad math...).

Here is the link to Toyota's newsroom regarding the recall:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/lexus/lexus-announces-intent-to-voluntarily-165037.aspx

Last edited:
39k units would be all of them, '03 and up.

Doesn't the LX have a telescopic steering wheel? If so, that would explain why it would be covered and the LC would not.

It does, but I thought it was an option on the LC at one point, although I don't know what year. Maybe someone with a newer LC can chime in.

I think its due to the lexus variable steering sensitivity. It adjusts the reaction of the wheel based on car speed.

There is some acronym for it but I forget. I think its VGRS - variable gear ratio steering.

EDIT:

http://www.automedia.com/2004_Lexus_LX_470/rts20040401lx/2 - search "vgrs"

VGRS is found on the GX470 + the SE 4Runner as well among some of their sedans.

The lx460 just had a recall for this.

I think its due to the lexus variable steering sensitivity. It adjusts the reaction of the wheel based on car speed.

There is some acronym for it but I forget. I think its VGRS - variable gear ratio steering.

EDIT:

2004 Lexus LX 470 review – SUV road test - search "vgrs"

VGRS is found on the GX470 + the SE 4Runner as well among some of their sedans.

The lx460 just had a recall for this.

yep, that's what I'm assuming too. Just one more thing to go wrong in my book.

Updated on the LX470 TSB and Recall Thread

Sounds like there were no reports of problems with the LX470 but there were three reported crashes without injuries in the Avalon. The attachment systems are similar and so the recall.

our 03 Toy also has telescopic wheel and variable sensitivity or whatever it's called.
It's odd it would only be the Lexus that's recalled.

our 03 Toy also has telescopic wheel and variable sensitivity or whatever it's called.
It's odd it would only be the Lexus that's recalled.

I dont believe any year LC had this feature (VGRS) Only the new 200 series has it.

I'm sure my 06 LC is affected. My LC has everything that came in a LX470 (including AHC), only thing I don't have is the Night Vision feature.

I dont believe any year LC had this feature (VGRS) Only the new 200 series has it.
I don't recall what it's called but the truck has some sort of variable power steering feature that gives more or less assist depending on the speed.

Also being recalled in the U.S. are 39,000 Lexus luxury model LX 470s for the 2003-2007 model years because of a steering shaft problem, which is different from the Avalon steering problem, according to Toyota.

That problem affects 9,670 vehicles in Japan, two Land Cruiser models, the ministry said. One problem has been reported but no accidents are suspected of being linked to the defect, it said.​

It would be nice if somebody could get a hold of the TSB that will come out with the fix.

Guys, it's not like Toyota would simply forget about their LC brethren. If the recalls only specifies LX then it only affects LX. Don't get the conspiracy theory engine running.

my '05 has the telescopic steering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom