Who's Interested - REPLACEMENT LEATHER for the Steering Wheel - NOT A COVER (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
bamachem's Steering Wheel Cover and Professional Recovering / Refurbishment Thread

[edit: lots of info on DIY covers and other options in this thread. I ended up going with Don at Dallas Custom Steering Wheel after not getting what I wanted from a "kit".]

I need one.

It's like Deja Vu. I've been here before, but with another truck... Last time, it was a 99 4Runner, way back in 2005. I didn't like the options at the time (including wheelskinz), so I came up with my own solution.

Leather REPLACEMENT.

I found an interior leather expert willing to do a group buy on custom leather replacement for the 4Runners. I just happen to have one left over (an extra I kept, just in case) from that group buy. Here's the color match to the LC steering wheel:

cruiser-leather-1.jpg

cruiser-leather-2.jpg

If enough of you are serious - as in ~$120 serious, maybe less - I can get this same guy to do a group buy on some matching leather covers like he did for me a few years ago.

This could be for 80's as well - but the same color - no variations.

The catch? We will have to have about 12-15 people interested so that he can get an entire hide dyed the correct color to cut them from. A factory-dyed hide will be much more resilient and have a much-longer life than a hide that's dyed in a leather shop. That's what will make this worth the cost. Custom, one-off pieces that are shop-dyed will hold up great in a garage queen ferrari, but on a daily driver, you might get a few years out of it before it needs to be re-dyed again.

These are REPLACEMENT LEATHER, not covers like wheelskinz. They are as close to OEM as you can get, and can be installed in well under an hour.

Not cheap, but looks OEM for the least amount of money.

Post up with questions and if you're willing to commit to buying in that price range.

Here's how it will work:

I will do a group buy thread to get firm commitments if enough people show interest here... If enough are interested, I will carefully cut my leather off my steering wheel (and put the 4-runner cover on as a temp fix - almost fits perfect) and send it to my leather guy. He will use it to custom-cut the covers exactly like OEM.

At the time of commitment, you will need to Paypal a 50% deposit to me or mail a check. Once we have enough people, I place the order for the "batch". About 5-6 weeks later, he will ship the covers to me, complete. I will then request remaining balances due. Once I have the rest of your money, you get your replacement leather shipped to you.

Last edited:
It's "pre-stitched", instead of holes.

What you do after it's on the wheel is to put the needle and thread thru these stitch holes and pull it tight. The stitch ends up looking something like a baseball stitch - very slick...

Here's pics of the one in my old 4runner (shop dyed) with about 2.5-3 years of use. Notice the discoloration of the shop-dye. That's why I want to get an entire hide done so the new one won't do this in the LC.

Check out the stitching...

P6060148.JPG

P6060147.JPG

The thickness of the steering wheel actually goes up just a touch from OEM. It's a little more "plush" too with some grain - more like a european leather than the smooth japanese type leather steering wheels.

AATLAS1X: BTW, I'm getting one of your leather kits for the front seats - SOON - probably second row and console cover too.

Is this something you'd be interested in doing????

Last edited:
Another pic of the 4Runner "kit" on the Cruiser wheel. The top spokes match perfectly. The bottom ones are off by about 1/2" or so each...

Oh so close...

cruiser-leather-3.jpg

Are you supplying the glue or did he recommend a glue to keep it in place so the aggressive drivers like myself wont roll it over.

He gave a reccomendation before - some type of 3m stuff if I recall correctly on the wheel itself and superglue at the spokes where they tuck under the airbag.

The one on the 4Runner never budged.

I'd be in if it were a little less. Like $75 range.

The center section or the wheel rim? I need to have a replacement for the wheel rim leather. I have the beige interior. My center section is fine.

EDIT: Nevermind. For some reason, when I first clicked on this thread, there were no replies. After I replied, there were. Not sure what happened. Anyway, if it is the factory beige match, I think I am in. I would only want to do it if the color match were much better than the one shown in the finished pics of the 4Runner. It would be better if it were less than $100 though, for sure. The $75 mentioned would be easier to swaller. :)

Last edited:
it's the leather surround...

It's a near-perfect match. The one on the 4Runner originally was too about 3 years before that pic. It was a shop-dyed piece and the dye didn't last.

These will be a special-dipped factory dye that won't rub off and will last MUCH longer.

I'm working on price and I'm going to see what we can do to get the price down. First thing to go will be the preferations between the spokes. That should knock some off. He's checking on different grades of leather as well, but that's one thing I do NOT want to sacrifice much on to save $20-$30.

You can get them non pre-stitched to save a few bucks, but then you have to sew them up yourself, which is a total PITA and takes HOURS and some SORE fingers by the time your done. The pre-stitched option is WELL worth the extra $15-$20 it adds to the price for sure.

I'll hopefully have more early next week to firm things up.

Depending on cost, I am interested. Please keep us up to date:)

Scott

This is from Alan Gun, right? I almost went with AGLAUSA for my 80 but decided against it after reading all the bad forum reviews. But, apparently, you've had good experiences with him. I'm not in need of this for my 100 but hope it works out because some day I will need a new steering wheel cover.

That's who I used before.... I haven't worried about his following over the last 5 years because I haven't had a need to. Hmmm, smack talk on forums, huh?

Might have to look at plan B if it has anything to do with quality.

Last time around, they had a Hurricane in the middle of completing our order, so it delayed things by almost 2 weeks. Only had one "warranty" issue out of about 20 that we ordered, and it was handled effectively. He's not fast, but from what I've seen, he's good, which is what counts most.

I am interested if he can do the LX470 wheel with the wood.
Would I have to somehow take the wood off the wheel as well?
I would prefer to replace just the leather inserts and leave the wood intact. Hmm, interested.
steering_wheel.jpg

I am interested if he can do the LX470 wheel with the wood.
Would I have to somehow take the wood off the wheel as well?
I would prefer to replace just the leather inserts and leave the wood intact. Hmm, interested.

Hmmm, good question. At a minimum, you'd have to gently cut your existing leather off to send to him for the pattern. Can you get some pics of the wood/leather joint?

I'm in for that price. It's not looking good though for getting 15 people.

I may be in too. Just a quick question regarding the thought on the install:

Would you remove the existing leather for this replacement? Having read through several threads, it looks like this might be a pain of a task. Is the existing leather glued on the wheel, along with being stitched?

You have to remove the existing leather. It has an adhesieve to help bind it to the foam cushion under it, but it's not all that strong - more like tacky - so it's easy to take off. At least that's how it was on the 4Runners of the same vintage that were also made in Japan.

So, would the new leather come with the foam padding too or would you be dealing with a "not-so-cush" wheel if you ripped the existing foam to shreds?

the existing foam is tougher than the leather. no worries - you won't rip it up unless you do something stupid and horribly wrong.

Well, you never know. I have been known to do such things... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom